C William Nylander (2014, 8th overall, Toronto) IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Thats why i want to see him spend most/all of next season on the Marlies as their #1 C. I can somewhat understand why they put him as a winger given that the Marlies were fighting hqrd for a playoff spot, and Nylander may have struggled in the more difficult C position if thrown in there mid-season while trying to adjust to a new ice surface, team, league, etc.

But thats if they had a development plan in place where they expect to give him significant time as a C next season. Given our blatantly obvious need for a top centre, ill be annoyed if they dont even try to groom him as a centre, and he just kinda ends up as a winger because they want to get him to the NHL ASAP.

This strategy is dependent on whom we draft this year too, wouldn't you agree?

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
This strategy is dependent on whom we draft this year too, wouldn't you agree?

Even if we draft a centre, Id want to develop Nylander as a centre. There's no guarantee he or Strome/Marner definitely will become an elite centre. So developing two very high potential C prospects gives us a better chance than if we're just developing one.

Plus Nylander has higher potential than Kadri, so it wouldnt be the worst thing if Nylander ended up #2 C behind Strome or Marner. SC winning teams usually have a very good #2 C. Jeff Carter, David Krejci, Malkin, Zetterberg (was playing C back then), Getzlaf (was 2nd behind MacDonald back then), etc. All of these guys are better than Kadri. Kadri would only have been the #2 C on Chicago when looking at SC winners from the past decade.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
Not to discredit Pastrnak in the slightest, but he did have the luxury of a) being on a better overall team; b) that team is a much higher scoring team than the Marlies (218 goals compared to the Marlies' 176 on the season); and c) starting the season out of training camp with Providence and beginning the season where not necessarily all players have their legs going.

Contrast that with Nylander who joined the Marlies halfway through their season jumping from a larger ice surface to a smaller one, an entirely new team, and an entirely new system of play.

This isn't me advocating that Nylander is better, because obviously what Pastrnak has done is, IMO, more impressive. I am, however, saying that perhaps the gap is closer than the AHL and NHL statistics have shown.

This is what I was going to say. Good post.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
Not to discredit Pastrnak in the slightest, but he did have the luxury of a) being on a better overall team; b) that team is a much higher scoring team than the Marlies (218 goals compared to the Marlies' 176 on the season); and c) starting the season out of training camp with Providence and beginning the season where not necessarily all players have their legs going.

Contrast that with Nylander who joined the Marlies halfway through their season jumping from a larger ice surface to a smaller one, an entirely new team, and an entirely new system of play.

This isn't me advocating that Nylander is better, because obviously what Pastrnak has done is, IMO, more impressive. I am, however, saying that perhaps the gap is closer than the AHL and NHL statistics have shown.

On the flipside. Pastrnak was younger in the AHL. Nylander had an extra +30 games to develop before starting in the AHL.

Also, Nylander had the WJC to adjust smaller ice.

Countryjunkie

Oct 17, 2014
Here's a thought, why don't we wait until both players are full time in the NHL before making comparisons on which prospect is better etc etc etc blah blah blah.......

William Nylander is doing very well in the AHL, but nobody really knows how that is going to translate to the NHL. He could be a worst player than some think, or he could be lights out better than what others care to admit.

As a Leaf fan, I just hope Toronto takes their time developing him. If it takes another year or two, then so be it. There is absolutely no rush what so ever. He'll be ready when he's ready. Until then, Leaf Nation will be waiting.

SeenSchenn2

Itchin' For Mitch
Jun 15, 2010
Thornhill, ON
I don't understand why he isn't being played at C.

What is the organization's thinking behind this? I don't see how he's going to play C at the NHL level if he isn't groomed as one in the AHL.

I don't know if they envision him as a C, but we did the same with Kadri. He played wing for quite some time until he moved to C. AHL/NHL.

Reddaye

Nov 1, 2011
New Brunswick
I imagine moving over to North America where the game is faster, the players are bigger, the game is more physical, amd the team and systems are all still pretty new are all factors for keeping him on the wing this year.

Centers have more to focus on than wingers generally do. I'm hoping they put him on the wing to help the adjustment this season and will try him at C next year when he's more accustomed to everything else he needed to get used to for North American hockey.

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
Playing him on the wing is fine as long as he gets to carry the puck a lot. At the WJC he kind of played both positions at once and it worked out well.

Hero

Uncle Leo
Jul 2, 2009
heropuck.wordpress.com
Give the kid some consistency in his season, leave him on wing this year then let him transition over next year.

He's only 18 and playing in the AHL as a PPG winger. Next year he can adjust to C as a 19 yr old. He has time.

Atomos2

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
On the flipside. Pastrnak was younger in the AHL. Nylander had an extra +30 games to develop before starting in the AHL.

Also, Nylander had the WJC to adjust smaller ice.

The first point is valid, but the 2nd bolded point isn't. Nylander went from large ice with pros to smaller ice with juniors for 7/8 games (has to deal with the jet lag and time difference) then back to large ice with pros for two games (once again time difference) and then back to small ice in an entirely different league against pros and once again deal with the travel.

Backhandshelf81

Jun 14, 2013
Even if we draft a centre, Id want to develop Nylander as a centre. There's no guarantee he or Strome/Marner definitely will become an elite centre. So developing two very high potential C prospects gives us a better chance than if we're just developing one.

Agreed, this organization needs all the help at C it can get. I hope some of you guys are right about their approach and he starts at C for the Marlies next season - they need to at least give it a shot. His level of vision and creativity could be even more beneficial from the middle.

Mad Dog Tannen

Apr 10, 2010
The first point is valid, but the 2nd bolded point isn't. Nylander went from large ice with pros to smaller ice with juniors for 7/8 games (has to deal with the jet lag and time difference) then back to large ice with pros for two games (once again time difference) and then back to small ice in an entirely different league against pros and once again deal with the travel.

The very notion he needs more than a game or two to adjust to the ice surface is a joke.

Nylander played in North America until he was 14/15 years old guys. He's only played on large ice for a few years.....I'm sure he can cope, lol

Atomos2

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
The very notion he needs more than a game or two to adjust to the ice surface is a joke.

Nylander played in North America until he was 14/15 years old guys. He's only played on large ice for a few years.....I'm sure he can cope, lol

I think anyone can tell based on his play and point production about the right adjustment time it takes. An its not just about the ice surface. It's about playing against professionals in midseason form on that new ice surface and adapting to a new system where he isn't the go to guy for his team and receives diminished minutes.

As you can see, now that he has gotten used to the style here, he's becoming a pretty dominant scorer in the league, considering his production over his last 21-22 games at 18 years of age. After getting only 1 or 2 points in his first 6/7 games I think he's nearly ppg in his last 18-20 gms.

I still remember the guy who wanted to make the poll to see if Nylander would get over 2 goals this season. LoL

Atomos2

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Anyone that have watch him both in SHL and AHL and can compare his preformance other than just stats?

Plus why trade Kessel, I think Kessel and Nylander would work good togehter.

Different position, less ice-time, isn't counted on to be the go-to guy on offense. Doesn't have as good chemistry with his linemates as he did in MODO imo. The good thing though is that the coach has finally decided to let Nylander play the point on the pp. Not as engaged in the play defensively as he was in MODO, probably because he's a winger with the marlies and they just ask him to cover the point and not anything else.

HarrisonFord

President of the Drew Doughty Fan Club
Jul 20, 2011
Toronto
I think anyone can tell based on his play and point production about the right adjustment time it takes. An its not just about the ice surface. It's about playing against professionals in midseason form on that new ice surface and adapting to a new system where he isn't the go to guy for his team and receives diminished minutes.

As you can see, now that he has gotten used to the style here, he's becoming a pretty dominant scorer in the league, considering his production over his last 21-22 games at 18 years of age. After getting only 1 or 2 points in his first 6/7 games I think he's nearly ppg in his last 18-20 gms.

I still remember the guy who wanted to make the poll to see if Nylander would get over 2 goals this season. LoL

More important than the ice surface size is adapting to the different style of game that is played. The SHL plays a significantly different style of hockey overall than the AHL does. That means taking time to adjust to finding where the soft spots on the ice are, where to go with the puck when you're coming at a defender, where to position yourself in the offensive/defensive zone when you don't have the puck, etc.

It's hilarious the experts in here that seem to know better than the actual professionals who note that there is a transition period - because you know, they've obviously transitioned from a European league to the AHL mid-season before and obviously know better :laugh:

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco
Plus Nylander has higher potential than Kadri, so it wouldnt be the worst thing if Nylander ended up #2 C behind Strome or Marner. SC winning teams usually have a very good #2 C. Jeff Carter, David Krejci, Malkin, Zetterberg (was playing C back then), Getzlaf (was 2nd behind MacDonald back then), etc. All of these guys are better than Kadri. Kadri would only have been the #2 C on Chicago when looking at SC winners from the past decade.

Krejci was a #1C, by ice time and production.

Jul 10, 2003
KW

There is a big difference playing against boys on North American ice vs playing against men.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad