C William Nylander (2014, 8th overall, Toronto) IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
[nhl]802719[/nhl]

[nhl]802655[/nhl]

It appears he left the game in the 2nd and hasn't returned.

Willchel Marlynder

(philer bozel)
Jul 15, 2010
Windsor, ON
I'm not referring to games played, but number of players. Pastrnak's the real deal obviously.

He listed 1 guy, and that guy is top 3 all time (in a league that dates back to the 1930s) in point per game at that age, so you can't really pretend that that's the norm or even remotely close to ordinary.

Nylander, Pastrnak, and Filatov the only players since 2000 to put up .70 ppg or higher stats at 19 or under :amazed:.

Anyway the guy was right though. The original poster said
.77 PPG is good for any AHL player, but an 18 year old rookie adjusting to the North American game? Unheard of.

Is it super super rare. Yes. Is it unheard of? well no as we can see both Filatov and Pastrnak both have done it. He was just correcting the op's original statement. Glad Nylander is making history as one of the 3 to be able to do it in the new millennium.

Chips*

Not to discredit Pastrnak in the slightest, but he did have the luxury of a) being on a better overall team; b) that team is a much higher scoring team than the Marlies (218 goals compared to the Marlies' 176 on the season); and c) starting the season out of training camp with Providence and beginning the season where not necessarily all players have their legs going.

Contrast that with Nylander who joined the Marlies halfway through their season jumping from a larger ice surface to a smaller one, an entirely new team, and an entirely new system of play.

This isn't me advocating that Nylander is better, because obviously what Pastrnak has done is, IMO, more impressive. I am, however, saying that perhaps the gap is closer than the AHL and NHL statistics have shown.

Last edited by a moderator:

cneely

Jan 6, 2005
I'm not referring to games played, but number of players. Pastrnak's the real deal obviously.

He listed 1 guy, and that guy is top 3 all time (in a league that dates back to the 1930s) in point per game at that age, so you can't really pretend that that's the norm or even remotely close to ordinary.

Not to take anything away from Nylander or Pastrnak, but it's only rare because very few 18-19 year olds play in the AHL. Junior players obviously have to play junior and Europeans won't generally come over at that age.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
Not to take anything away from Nylander or Pastrnak, but it's only rare because very few 18-19 year olds play in the AHL. Junior players obviously have to play junior and Europeans won't generally come over at that age.

Yea, it's tough to judge how much weight to put on it, given that it is quite rare. Also, that most top top prospects avoid the AHL entirely (or close to it), by making the NHL by age 20.

But overall, Nylanders had a great year. His numbers in the SHL were phenomenal and historically significant, his WJC performance was solid, and his half-season in the AHL has also been a very smooth transition.

How would other 2014 prospects like Reinhart, Bennett, Dal Colle, etc perform in the AHL at this age? Tough to say. Thats what makes judging prospects so difficult. Guys that play different positions on different teams in different leagues are being compared to eachother. Some play with great linemates, others with weak ones. Some play against other teenagers, others against grown men.

Phion Keneuf

Bang Bang
Jul 4, 2010
Any news on why he left the game? Hope he's alright... Can't afford Marlies to miss the playoffs.

Lepain

Jul 15, 2014
To me, Nylander's ceiling is Nicklas Backstrom.

Can he reach it, that's another question. The skill level is similar, but Backstrom was able to develop qualities that Nylander doesn't have yet, like defense and mainly board work. In the NHL, you don't get much free open ice, you have to work for it along the boards first most of the time.

Would Nicklas Backstrom be an effective NHLer without his great board work, not nearly as much as he is right now.

Nylander is incredibly skilled. I don't think size will be much of an issue because he's so elusive. But will he be able to work the boards and get his nose dirty for loose pucks, that's my main concern about him.

As a Habs fan, I hope he works out so we can enjoy great games and get the rivalry back:yo:

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Yea, it's tough to judge how much weight to put on it, given that it is quite rare. Also, that most top top prospects avoid the AHL entirely (or close to it), by making the NHL by age 20.

But overall, Nylanders had a great year. His numbers in the SHL were phenomenal and historically significant, his WJC performance was solid, and his half-season in the AHL has also been a very smooth transition.

How would other 2014 prospects like Reinhart, Bennett, Dal Colle, etc perform in the AHL at this age? Tough to say. Thats what makes judging prospects so difficult. Guys that play different positions on different teams in different leagues are being compared to eachother. Some play with great linemates, others with weak ones. Some play against other teenagers, others against grown men.

Yeah, it is extremely difficult to judge prospect that play across so many different leagues. All in all though, I am extremely happy with the Nylander pick. He has met and exceeded all possible expectations so far.

Hope he makes the team next year but it will likely depend on what we do in the offseason.

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
To me, Nylander's ceiling is Nicklas Backstrom.

Can he reach it, that's another question. The skill level is similar, but Backstrom was able to develop qualities that Nylander doesn't have yet, like defense and mainly board work. In the NHL, you don't get much free open ice, you have to work for it along the boards first most of the time.

Would Nicklas Backstrom be an effective NHLer without his great board work, not nearly as much as he is right now.

Nylander is incredibly skilled. I don't think size will be much of an issue because he's so elusive. But will he be able to work the boards and get his nose dirty for loose pucks, that's my main concern about him.

As a Habs fan, I hope he works out so we can enjoy great games and get the rivalry back:yo:

I don't think Nylander will ever be able to protect the puck in the corners, like Backstrom or his dad did. He skates much better than both though, that's going to help him.

leafsfuture

Mar 30, 2008
I don't think Nylander will ever be able to protect the puck in the corners, like Backstrom or his dad did. He skates much better than both though, that's going to help him.

And the shot is better.

He has an excellent shot, isnt afraid to use it, but because his overall offensive game is so high, he looks for passes when he can. Just a great offensive tool-box

Play without the puck and in tight will need work like any player, but his stats for 18 in the AHL are just a true sign he is an excellent prospect.

Lepain

Jul 15, 2014
He'll be dynamite on the PP.

I totally agree on this. Nylander has everything to be an excellent pp player because of the open space and the defense staying put which will give him all the time he needs to use his incredible skill.

For me, the question remains his 5 on 5 play in tight spaces. That's where players with great skillsets can set themselves apart. Some become great at it and some can't handle it. The main difference for me between the two is the quality of the board work. Look at Giroux and Backstrom, incredibly skilled players who are able to get pucks out of the corners and produce offense from it. They don't crash in there but can pokecheck the puck out and are willing to take a beating to do so.

Will Nylander ever be able/willing to do that? Remains the main concern to me.

As I said before, I keep hoping he turns out so the rivalry between Habs and Leafs gets back to life:fight:

SingleAallStar

Nov 26, 2014
I was at the game. Got a knock to the head trying to deke on an early shift. Shaken up coming to the bench. Then sat on the bench for a minute or two with a trainer talking. Then returned to get two points. Finished the first period and didn't return to the ice. I am hoping as the marlies were up 3-0 it was precautionary.

William Hylander

There can be only 1
Aug 17, 2009
Any news on why he left the game? Hope he's alright... Can't afford Marlies to miss the playoffs.

The media in this town is hillarious. Dineen has a post game interiew yet none of the reporters ask anything about Nylander, instead they just cliche question the way through the interview. God forbid the media actually be useful and give news to the fans.

William Hylander

There can be only 1
Aug 17, 2009
I was at the game. Got a knock to the head trying to deke on an early shift. Shaken up coming to the bench. Then sat on the bench for a minute or two with a trainer talking. Then returned to get two points. Finished the first period and didn't return to the ice. I am hoping as the marlies were up 3-0 it was precautionary.

Didnt notice this and I was at the game thanks for the info.

con310*

I totally agree on this. Nylander has everything to be an excellent pp player because of the open space and the defense staying put which will give him all the time he needs to use his incredible skill.

For me, the question remains his 5 on 5 play in tight spaces. That's where players with great skillsets can set themselves apart. Some become great at it and some can't handle it. The main difference for me between the two is the quality of the board work. Look at Giroux and Backstrom, incredibly skilled players who are able to get pucks out of the corners and produce offense from it. They don't crash in there but can pokecheck the puck out and are willing to take a beating to do so.

Will Nylander ever be able/willing to do that? Remains the main concern to me.

As I said before, I keep hoping he turns out so the rivalry between Habs and Leafs gets back to life:fight:

Nylander will be a great 5 on 5 player in the NHL unless he ends up busting or something. His skating and IQ are so amazing it wouldn't really make sense for him not to be.

Lepain

Jul 15, 2014
Nylander will be a great 5 on 5 player in the NHL unless he ends up busting or something. His skating and IQ are so amazing it wouldn't really make sense for him not to be.

Well, would make sense that he becomes a great player IF he doesn't bust.

You can't have a much more boom or bust prospect than Nylander. If he doesn't make it at least as a 55-60+ point player in the NHL, I don't think he has much use. Sure not gonna be a 30 point effective third liner.

I personnally think he'll make it to a top 6 role in the NHL, but I think he'll have to work really hard on his board work and determination to do so. Will take some time for him to get there I think. Rushing him would be a huge mistake in my opinion. Let him dominate the AHL the way the north american game is played. Bring him up once in a while to play a top 6 role and send him back down.

The kid is still 18 years old. Let him crave for the NHL for some time to develop his tenacity and determination. He's so skilled that he went from one level to another seamlessly. He has to feel how hard it is to play at the highest level so that he becomes the best he can be.

Backhandshelf81

Jun 14, 2013
I don't understand why he isn't being played at C.

What is the organization's thinking behind this? I don't see how he's going to play C at the NHL level if he isn't groomed as one in the AHL.

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
Well, would make sense that he becomes a great player IF he doesn't bust.

You can't have a much more boom or bust prospect than Nylander. If he doesn't make it at least as a 55-60+ point player in the NHL, I don't think he has much use. Sure not gonna be a 30 point effective third liner.

I personnally think he'll make it to a top 6 role in the NHL, but I think he'll have to work really hard on his board work and determination to do so. Will take some time for him to get there I think. Rushing him would be a huge mistake in my opinion. Let him dominate the AHL the way the north american game is played. Bring him up once in a while to play a top 6 role and send him back down.

The kid is still 18 years old. Let him crave for the NHL for some time to develop his tenacity and determination. He's so skilled that he went from one level to another seamlessly. He has to feel how hard it is to play at the highest level so that he becomes the best he can be.
Solid post.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
I don't understand why he isn't being played at C.

What is the organization's thinking behind this? I don't see how he's going to play C at the NHL level if he isn't groomed as one in the AHL.

Thats why i want to see him spend most/all of next season on the Marlies as their #1 C. I can somewhat understand why they put him as a winger given that the Marlies were fighting hqrd for a playoff spot, and Nylander may have struggled in the more difficult C position if thrown in there mid-season while trying to adjust to a new ice surface, team, league, etc.

But thats if they had a development plan in place where they expect to give him significant time as a C next season. Given our blatantly obvious need for a top centre, ill be annoyed if they dont even try to groom him as a centre, and he just kinda ends up as a winger because they want to get him to the NHL ASAP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad