C Will Smith - Boston College, NCAA (2023, 4th, SJS)

ameselare

Mar 30, 2024
Now that Celebrini is unofficially a Shark, I wonder how his decision to stay at college for one more year or go straight to the NHL will affect Smith's decision. I don't think it needs to be a "one or the other" situation - as in, one of them makes the jump to the pros this season, and the other one makes the jump the following season. However, I do think having an 18 year old and 19 year old as your top line centres would be... interesting, to say the least. Granlund is also still there for another year which complicates matters.

We've seen how jumping in and playing with solid NHL players can help prospects adjust to the NHL (e.g. Wyatt Johnston on the Stars). Grier can definitely go out and get some guys this summer but players like Eklund and Bordeleau are still developing. I'd also imagine Grier & co. want to solidify their coaching situation before next season - whoever they choose now will likely be the coach to shape their top prospects and the way the team wants to play moving forward, so it's a big decision in terms of coaching style, systems, etc...

I also can't imagine the Sharks being as bad or even worse next season but they're kind of a mess right now. They've traded Hertl, I'm not sure if Couture can even play again, and they're starting from scratch with the coaching situation. Apparently their AHL team is also a mess that needs to be cleaned up, and a few months ago the organization was sued for covering up child grooming & abuse in their Jr. Sharks program.

I know Grier has said he thinks both Smith and Celebrini are ready to play in the NHL - I don't necessarily disagree with that, and I'm sure they'd love to have one or both of them make the jump to help with ticket sales and engaging the fanbase, but I don't think staying at BU in Celebrini's case or BC in Smith's case will be detrimental to their development.

I also agree with one of the other posters in this thread who said that Smith, Perreault, and Leonard don't always play together and have shown that they're more than capable of playing well without each other. I think the anxiety around Smith developing bad habits/deficiencies in his game if he stays at BC with those two is way overblown.

People talk about the money but both Smith and Celebrini come from families with money (as do most NHL players)... I don't think either of them are necessarily in a huge rush to get those contracts signed just because of that.

Last edited:

coooldude

Jul 25, 2007
Smith had 1+1 in the final World Champs pre-tourney game yesterday (?) as 3C... I think if he has a good tournament versus NHLers, and if Celebrini wants to sign, there's a more solid chance they both come back. Some of it will be on how hard Grier tries to sell them on a rebuild plan through UFA/trade and the new coach... I wonder how hard he'll go in the proverbial paint.

It would sure be weird (and unprecedented?) to see 4 top picks / Hobey Baker candidates all playing hated rivalry games against each other, two of whom are drafted by the same team (talking Leonard, Perreault, Smith, Celebrini) plus the supporting cast of Eiserman, or Hutson(s), Letourneau, Hagens... NCAA getting even more interesting if they all stay!

ameselare

Mar 30, 2024
Smith had 1+1 in the final World Champs pre-tourney game yesterday (?) as 3C... I think if he has a good tournament versus NHLers, and if Celebrini wants to sign, there's a more solid chance they both come back. Some of it will be on how hard Grier tries to sell them on a rebuild plan through UFA/trade and the new coach... I wonder how hard he'll go in the proverbial paint.

It would sure be weird (and unprecedented?) to see 4 top picks / Hobey Baker candidates all playing hated rivalry games against each other, two of whom are drafted by the same team (talking Leonard, Perreault, Smith, Celebrini) plus the supporting cast of Eiserman, or Hutson(s), Letourneau, Hagens... NCAA getting even more interesting if they all stay!
That would be pretty cool. They'd play in the WJC against each other again as well, some fun storylines there for sure.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
I think Smith on Celebrini's wing makes a lot of sense long term.
We've talked on the sharks board about how having Celebrini and Smith centering their own lines gives us a nice diverse matchup. Celebrini can take the harder matchups while Smith's line gets nice ozone starts and lesser lines.

They can actually even try to recreate the BC freshman line using Eklund in Perrault's role, and look to find a pure finisher in the coming years through draft/FA. Celebrini and Zetterlund would most likely be the main two of the other line. Hopefully Musty can develop and earn one of the leftover winger spots.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
We've talked on the sharks board about how having Celebrini and Smith centering their own lines gives us a nice diverse matchup. Celebrini can take the harder matchups while Smith's line gets nice ozone starts and lesser lines.

They can actually even try to recreate the BC freshman line using Eklund in Perrault's role, and look to find a pure finisher in the coming years through draft/FA. Celebrini and Zetterlund would most likely be the main two of the other line. Hopefully Musty can develop and earn one of the leftover winger spots.

You're not recreating the BC line if you don't have someone who can play Leonard's role, that's a lot more than being just a finisher. He's spotting for Smith in the defensive zone (often playing center for him) and then racing down the ice to retrieve pucks at the other end. Good luck finding that!

I'd have Smith - Celebrini - Musty on one line with one of your big Swedish centers next to Eklund on the other line.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
You're not recreating the BC line if you don't have someone who can play Leonard's role, that's a lot more than being just a finisher. He's spotting for Smith in the defensive zone (often playing center for him) and then racing down the ice to retrieve pucks at the other end. Good luck finding that!

I'd have Smith - Celebrini - Musty on one line with one of your big Swedish centers next to Eklund on the other line.
Granlund and Eklund looked good together along with Zetterlund. I'd keep those three together personally.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Granlund and Eklund looked good together along with Zetterlund. I'd keep those three together personally.

For sure, I'm more thinking long term. Zetterlund is young enough to factor in, he provides a valuable element.

Grinner

May 31, 2022

Hopefully MBN falls to the Sharks at 14

cheechoo

˗ˋˏ ♡ ˎˊ˗ Tomas Hertl #48 ˗ˋˏ ♡ ˎˊ˗
Dec 13, 2018
suspended in gaffa

Beckett Sennecke could be another interesting proposition at 14.

6'3, very good skater, silk for hands and plays a heavy game, also uses his frame really well to shield the puck along the walls. When you watch him play he has no issues alternating between E->W skilled attacker and N->S forechecking PF game.

I expect a huge D+1 season from him, he's been about as impressive as any down the stretch.

Not to get too cute as well, but we'd have nice diversity in attacking handedness as well.

Will Smith RHS
Macklin Celebrini LHS
Beckett Sennecke RHS
Quentin Musty LHS

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I think Smith on Celebrini's wing makes a lot of sense long term.
Smith is a center. He has never played wing for the NTDP or in the NCAA. He’ll never be a shutdown defensive center, but he’s perfectly capable of center duties. He played center when Perrault was out and Gauthier joined their line. He’s playing center now against men at the WC. He plays a center’s game and there’s no reason to think he’s not going to be effective as a center in the NHL.

Grinner

May 31, 2022

6'3, very good skater, silk for hands and plays a heavy game, also uses his frame really well to shield the puck along the walls. When you watch him play he has no issues alternating between E->W skilled attacker and N->S forechecking PF game.

I expect a huge D+1 season from him, he's been about as impressive as any down the stretch.

Not to get too cute as well, but we'd have nice diversity in attacking handedness as well.

Will Smith RHS
Macklin Celebrini LHS
Beckett Sennecke RHS
Quentin Musty LHS
Sennecke would be the next player on my wish list at 14.
I've been banging the drum for the need to bring in top 6 RWers.
I'd say we need to bring in a couple

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

Will Smith RHS
Macklin Celebrini LHS
Beckett Sennecke RHS
Quentin Musty LHS

Sennecke seems unlikely - I'd expect him to continue to move up as scouts catch up on video. Probably top 10 by Bob's final list.

MBN I think is underrated but it doesn't seem like there's much more he can do at this point. Not top 15 on Bob's latest list, he'll probably be there.

Grinner

May 31, 2022
Sennecke seems unlikely - I'd expect him to continue to move up as scouts catch up on video. Probably top 10 by Bob's final list.

MBN I think is underrated but it doesn't seem like there's much more he can do at this point. Not top 15 on Bob's latest list, he'll probably be there.
I'm pretty sure one if not both will be available at 14.
I try not to get to caught up with the hype trains that come and go here

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
Sennecke would be the next player on my wish list at 14.
I've been banging the drum for the need to bring in top 6 RWers.
I'd say we need to bring in a couple
one of the RHD would be a much better fit. You go BPA when you can, but the Sharks forward prospects are looking much better than their blueliners and the latter tend to take longer to develop

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I'm pretty sure one if not both will be available at 14.
I try not to get to caught up with the hype trains that come and go here

Sennecke is more than just hype.

We see it every year with much improved players, the lists always take until the final days to catch up. Sanderson was getting ranked 10-15 at this time in 2020, McTavish similarly in 2021.

Grinner

May 31, 2022
one of the RHD would be a much better fit. You go BPA when you can, but the Sharks forward prospects are looking much better than their blueliners and the latter tend to take longer to develop
The Sharks are just as thin ar RW as RD, when it comes to prospects. I'd expect to find the better forward than defender at 14

Sennecke is more than just hype.

We see it every year with much improved players, the lists always take until the final days to catch up. Sanderson was getting ranked 10-15 at this time in 2020, McTavish similarly in 2021.
Yes, which is why I've had him on my radar prior to the huge train leaving the station.
I see MBN, as a tailor made bookend foe Eklund. As well as the puck retriever for either Smith or Celebrini

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad