C/W Pierre-Luc Dubois - Blainville-Boisbriand Armada, QMJHL (2016, 3rd, CBJ) II

Status
Not open for further replies.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
This members of this forum really like to see prospects fail.... wth...... he's doing well right now, we cAn talk about how he does when he hits pro. Why do people think he becomes another Michael dal cole?

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Without having watched him, usually the assumption could be he isn't as much of a driver that he can carry the load all by himself. Much like how I see MDC as a good complimentary player, PLD could be of the same mold where he has all the tools to be a top line player but he does better when he isn't the driver of his line. See Monahan and JG for example. Monahan is good, but JG as the driver makes him even better.

That conclusion could be easy to make but I disagree. While I don't think he has the natural offensive talent that some other players have, he is a driver and makes players around him better. I'm not sure what the exact problem in CB was but Dubois plays a pro-style game and maybe he just didn't mesh well with his team. Remember both of his linemates from the previous two years were gone and sometimes you just don't find that chemistry.

Or maybe he had a bad offseason and it took him some time to fix that. Who knows? Either way, for anyone who watched this kid play for the last two years it should've been obvious that he wasn't going to stay in a funk forever and that he is a very good prospect. 20 games with subpar production wasn't going to change that.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
This members of this forum really like to see prospects fail.... wth...... he's doing well right now, we cAn talk about how he does when he hits pro. Why do people think he becomes another Michael dal cole?
Can you not understand comparing situations? Or is that concept lost on you. The switch and uptick once traded was very similar to what happened with Dal Colle last year. No one said he was the next Dal Colle, just pointing out the similarities to what happened with Dal Colle after going to Kingston last year. You would hope a top 5 pick regardless of teammates could drive the offense of his team.

I was just pointing out all the people with the sarcastic quotes that were inferring it is all in the past and not worrying because he is scoring now, shouldn't be getting on their high-horse.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
It should be noted he also had a major increase in production in the second half of the season last season. I would want to look at what he is doing in the offseasons.

dirk41

Jun 9, 2010
Dal Colle was in his draft+2 season when he struggled/was traded, which is more worrying.

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
Around the same time as the World Junior Championships it was announced that Cape Breton had traded Dubois to a relatively new QMJHL club, Blainville-Boisbriand Armada. Many just saw this as Cape Breton opting to get what they could for Dubois while they still could to build for the future, rather than rely on the slumping forward.

It seems as if this trade has been good for all parties involved, especially Dubois. Since arriving in Blainville-Boisbriand he has played in 12 games and scored 12 goals, adding nine assists as well. The 1.75 points per game pace he is currently on is what was expected of him before the season started, and with the added expectations after being taken by Columbus third overall last summer.

Read More

http://lastwordonhockey.com/2017/02/07/pierre-luc-dubois-revitalized-trade/

tfong

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2008
www.instagram.com
So, who is doing that on Blainville-Boisbriand then?

Since Dubois joined them:

Dubois - 12gp, 12g, 9a, 21pts
Alain - 12gp, 7g, 6a, 13pts
Barré-Boulet - 10gp, 3g, 7a, 10pts
Teasdale - 11gp, 4g, 5a, 9 pts
Melancon - 12gp, 3g, 5a, 8pts

I don't know, thats why I said I haven't watched any of Breton this year to make any conclusions so I was using a traditional assumption since his situation similiar to MDCs.

That conclusion could be easy to make but I disagree. While I don't think he has the natural offensive talent that some other players have, he is a driver and makes players around him better. I'm not sure what the exact problem in CB was but Dubois plays a pro-style game and maybe he just didn't mesh well with his team. Remember both of his linemates from the previous two years were gone and sometimes you just don't find that chemistry.

Or maybe he had a bad offseason and it took him some time to fix that. Who knows? Either way, for anyone who watched this kid play for the last two years it should've been obvious that he wasn't going to stay in a funk forever and that he is a very good prospect. 20 games with subpar production wasn't going to change that.

Is it possible that Breton was giving him more defensive matchups and leaving the more favorable ones to their overagers Fiore and Carozza?

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Yeah this guy is unreal. Jackets got themselves another stud to add to this impressive team

Hockeyisl1fe

Dec 8, 2016
Where you guys see him next season? I think he should play vs men... AHL or a sheltered role in the NHL?

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
People put too much stock into stats and junior league performance, players like Strome light up their leagues then look like cr*p at higher levels. It's good what Dubois is doing but he has to prove he can be a difference maker at higher levels. His WJC was very dissapointing imo.

Thebesthockey

Aug 6, 2013
chl & nhl need to do something about it
clearly players too strong for chl but not eligeable for ahl is killing development for some
its time for a revamp

even if limited to 1 player per nhl team...per yr

LordNeverLose

Jul 2, 2015
Picking a fight
chl & nhl need to do something about it
clearly players too strong for chl but not eligeable for ahl is killing development for some
its time for a revamp

even if limited to 1 player per nhl team...per yr

Why would the CHL ever be in favor of that? It'd just result in them losing even more of their older higher end talent.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
People put too much stock into stats and junior league performance, players like Strome light up their leagues then look like cr*p at higher levels. It's good what Dubois is doing but he has to prove he can be a difference maker at higher levels. His WJC was very dissapointing imo.

WJC is still a junior tournament and not a good way to judge who will be successful at the next level. It is the same principal you just used in regards to junior leagues. Sure WJC is a slight step up from CHL but it's still juniors.

Either way, I'd say the opposite to what you're inferring to here, Dubois isn't in the Strome, Marner category where he just dominates juniors pointwise. He's likely never going to be that guy. But what I do think about Dubois is that his game will translate very well to the pro game, and that's why I was never really worried about his subpar production earlier in the season or even his disappointing WJC.

In contrast to that I've never liked Strome's game and I'd easily take Dubois over him if I was building a team with championship aspirations. Strome may have more natural offensive ability but he is lacking in all of the areas that make or break an NHLer. Skating ability, work ethic, willingness to use his body and play in traffic, defensive play. All of these are areas Dubois are good to great in and which is extremely valuable in the playoffs. I wouldn't be surprised if Strome routinely gets more points in the regular season than Dubois, but I'd still easily take Dubois over Strome with everything else he brings to the table.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada

Every player has to prove they can do it in higher levels... thats why the draft is so fun and such a crap shoot. Sometimes you get a Gaudreau in the 4th round and sometimes you draft Daigle 1st overall or you get a Benn in the 5th or Yakupov 1st... Could go on but everyone understands.
The kid is 18 and had a slow start, it happens. If he had a fast start and slowed down im sure it wouldnt be the same but now that he's playing the way he should people just like to do the easy thing and look at the 1st half of the season. The guy is already 210 ish lbs so his biggest thing is getting in a professional offseason and getting used to being that big because being 6'3" 210lbs is a lot different then being 5'11" 165lbs (Mitch Marner) for example

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
Without having watched him, usually the assumption could be he isn't as much of a driver that he can carry the load all by himself. Much like how I see MDC as a good complimentary player, PLD could be of the same mold where he has all the tools to be a top line player but he does better when he isn't the driver of his line. See Monahan and JG for example. Monahan is good, but JG as the driver makes him even better.

Last year, it was posted on the Jets boards by a poster whose company tracks corsi and other advanced metrics for CHL and AHL teams that PLD had the best relative Corsi out of all draft eligible CHL prospects or all players in the Q (can't remember which one) and it wasn't even close. So I highly doubt that your theory holds any water

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad