C/W Jonathan Drouin - Halifax Mooseheads (QMJHL 2013 Draft)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pointteen

Jun 9, 2008
New Brunswick
Spent the first half of the season in the QMAAA.
Halifax only convinced him to come over at Christmas after he was putting up over 2pts/game with Lac St-Louis.

So glad he did come over. Dumb decision not to at the beginning, honestly.

I'm also glad to see Halifax with such a solid team. It's too bad it happens after I move away!
Drouin wouldn't be a bad consolation prize on the Oilers draft list. Although I want MacKinnon. If Edmonton drafts him with their own pick I'll be too ashamed to post here though.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
He is an absolutely smart player. He knows how to cut through traffic in a very sneaky way. Gets himself into quiet open areas and the puck has a way of finding him. He has very slick hands, maneuvres his body well in tight and has incredible vision.

I definitely see him as a 1st round talent next year. Insanely better than Duclaire and Erne. (Erne is a better player than Duclaire. I see Duclaire dropping out of the 1st round next year).

scoutman1

Twitter - scoutman33
Feb 19, 2005
www.facebook.com
He is an absolutely smart player. He knows how to cut through traffic in a very sneaky way. Gets himself into quiet open areas and the puck has a way of finding him. He has very slick hands, maneuvres his body well in tight and has incredible vision.

I definitely see him as a 1st round talent next year. Insanely better than Duclaire and Erne. (Erne is a better player than Duclaire. I see Duclaire dropping out of the 1st round next year).

well I think he still probably goes 1st round next year, the kid has the amazing package of speed, puckhandling and shooting, he just is not the smartest player on the ice, but it is hard to say if it is a hockey sense thing or him just being a puck hog sometimes and wanting to make that highlight play too often......Erne is good, he is smart, simple plays, does it all on the ice, he is a well rounded player.....Drouin though he is not 5'11 maybe on skates he is, but he has excellent vision and passing, great accuracy with his shot, he is very smart and is elusive in traffic with slick smooth hands but his biggest asset IMO is his ability to make a quick play, the puck is coming to his stick and if a guy is coming in on him he does not worry about him and is planning what he is going to do like the play is in slow motion.

shello

Mar 5, 2011
MTL/NYC
Nice to see my video getting some recognition. Thanks! (second link)

But on Drouin. I was so happy when he left AAA to join Halifax. Had nothing to prove in AAA, and wanting to graduate with his friends would've been a bad decision. Found him better than Duclair last year. Only saw Duclair 3 times so I can't comment but Drouin on the other hand has everything but size going for him. Speed, shot, hockey iq, etc.

bigdirty

Mar 11, 2010
I remember just as the season was starting, all the info I could find on Drouin listed him in the range of 150-160lbs, while he's now listed around 175lbs.
While I doubt he added 25lbs between September and the time he joined the team, if he did add some weight and strength during that time, it might explain some things. There are some very large, intimidating players in this league, especially if you're hovering around 5'10, 155lbs.
Or maybe he was just considering NCAA. Or, as Cam Russell said, he may have been watching what other players his age were doing in the QMJHL, and he realized he could do it to.

Also, while the hype around Mackinnon will likely result in him jumping right into the NHL, Drouin seems like a player that will take a more normal development route. He could be a top scoring forward in the QMJHL next season, and we could very well have him around for another two seasons after that.

bigdirty

Mar 11, 2010
Probably benefits a bit and vice-versa from that match-up.
If I remember correctly, when Drouin first joined the team, he rarely played with Mackinnon, but still was scoring just under a PPG.
So while they certainly would benefit from each other, they've both shown the ability to put up points with different linemates.
Basically, if we didn't have Mackinnon, Drouin would do quite nicely as a forward to build the team around.

lavoy

Nov 3, 2011
Drouin only played with MacKinnon for the playoffs, and a few games in the season...

Drouin = Giroux, Kane? I like those...

Pick Six

@Lafortune_FC
Jan 1, 2009
Mississauga
well I think he still probably goes 1st round next year, the kid has the amazing package of speed, puckhandling and shooting, he just is not the smartest player on the ice, but it is hard to say if it is a hockey sense thing or him just being a puck hog sometimes and wanting to make that highlight play too often......Erne is good, he is smart, simple plays, does it all on the ice, he is a well rounded player.....Drouin though he is not 5'11 maybe on skates he is, but he has excellent vision and passing, great accuracy with his shot, he is very smart and is elusive in traffic with slick smooth hands but his biggest asset IMO is his ability to make a quick play, the puck is coming to his stick and if a guy is coming in on him he does not worry about him and is planning what he is going to do like the play is in slow motion.

I think Duclair is a solid prospect, but I definitely have some questions about him. He needs to get a lot stronger, IMO, as Halifax completely shut him down this series. He's got a lot of tools, it's all a matter if he can put them together.

I remember just as the season was starting, all the info I could find on Drouin listed him in the range of 150-160lbs, while he's now listed around 175lbs.
While I doubt he added 25lbs between September
and the time he joined the team, if he did add some weight and strength during that time, it might explain some things. There are some very large, intimidating players in this league, especially if you're hovering around 5'10, 155lbs.
Or maybe he was just considering NCAA. Or, as Cam Russell said, he may have been watching what other players his age were doing in the QMJHL, and he realized he could do it to.

You're right. I definitely think he's closer to 5'9-5'10 150-160, than what he's now listed at.

Also, while the hype around Mackinnon will likely result in him jumping right into the NHL, Drouin seems like a player that will take a more normal development route. He could be a top scoring forward in the QMJHL next season, and we could very well have him around for another two seasons after that.

This is what intrigues me the most about this Halifax team. Fucale and Drouin could very well be playing for the Mooseheads in the 2014-2015 season, which would be a great core to say the least.

Probably benefits a bit and vice-versa from that match-up.

Definitely. That being said, they don't play a whole lot together. On the PP for sure, but they really like to mix the lines up. Any of Frk, Critchlow, Grenier, Drouin etc. can spend time on MacKinnon's wings.

Another note about Drouin is he's an even better centre, IMO, and projects as one at the next level. His size (or lack of), agility, vision, playmaking etc. make him lethal down the middle. I wouldn't be surprised if he had the #2 centre spot next year.

Jabba11

Hockey Lobby
Nov 28, 2009
hockeylobby.blogspot.com
I think Duclair is a solid prospect, but I definitely have some questions about him. He needs to get a lot stronger, IMO, as Halifax completely shut him down this series. He's got a lot of tools, it's all a matter if he can put them together.

You're right. I definitely think he's closer to 5'9-5'10 150-160, than what he's now listed at.

This is what intrigues me the most about this Halifax team. Fucale and Drouin could very well be playing for the Mooseheads in the 2014-2015 season, which would be a great core to say the least.

Definitely. That being said, they don't play a whole lot together. On the PP for sure, but they really like to mix the lines up. Any of Frk, Critchlow, Grenier, Drouin etc. can spend time on MacKinnon's wings.

Another note about Drouin is he's an even better centre, IMO, and projects as one at the next level. His size (or lack of), agility, vision, playmaking etc. make him lethal down the middle. I wouldn't be surprised if he had the #2 centre spot next year.

I haven't seen him play in the playoffs but the games that I saw him playing, he was usually at the point for the powerplay. (If I remember correctly)

That being said, I find him pretty versatile and can play at any position. All I know as of right now, he needs to get bigger, and hopefully grow an inch or two. And work on his defensive end. He needs to become a more complete player.

Kevin Forbes

Jul 29, 2002
Nova Scotia
www.kforbesy.ca
I haven't seen him play in the playoffs but the games that I saw him playing, he was usually at the point for the powerplay. (If I remember correctly)

That being said, I find him pretty versatile and can play at any position. All I know as of right now, he needs to get bigger, and hopefully grow an inch or two. And work on his defensive end. He needs to become a more complete player.

Drouin on the PP point?
They've had a lot of people at the point (Grenier, Frk, Ashley, Critchlow, Abeltshauser, Lewis, Gillard), but I don't remember Drouin. He usually sets up at the half-boards.

Jabba11

Hockey Lobby
Nov 28, 2009
hockeylobby.blogspot.com
Drouin on the PP point?
They've had a lot of people at the point (Grenier, Frk, Ashley, Critchlow, Abeltshauser, Lewis, Gillard), but I don't remember Drouin. He usually sets up at the half-boards.

Like I've said, I don't remember it was against which team and which game it was, but I'm pretty sure I saw him played at the point on the PP during that game. Maybe someone who follows the Moose all year long could confirm that.

LeafDangler

Apr 25, 2006
Like I've said, I don't remember it was against which team and which game it was, but I'm pretty sure I saw him played at the point on the PP during that game. Maybe someone who follows the Moose all year long could confirm that.

The moose play a modified umbrella PP with Abelthauser the only D-man on the point really. Drouin usually plays the half boards on the left side and quite often drifts up high. He's never played the traditional point role.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad