Prospect Info: C/W Jiri Kulich, 28th Overall, 2022 NHL Draft; recalled 11/25/23, assigned 11/29/23

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Bolster the 3rd line and 4th lines via trades and put him as the 3C with some solid third line guys? I wouldn’t mind that plan if he really has a great run in the playoffs.

Or make a big upgrade at 3C, have Kulich play wing and slowly bring him into center.

The more I think about this the more I’m realizing that we may be going into next season with Kulich and Savoie on the roster. Which I think would easily put us as our youngest team ever.

Someone under contract or an RFA forward has to be gone. Unless we’re moving one of Savoie or Kulich which means we’ve obviously made a massive trade

I don't know if breaking him into the NHL in the middle is the play, but it looks to me like that might be in their minds. And then he would be the actual 4th line center with whoever on his wings. I'm not sure I'm in favor. I want to see how he does in the AHL playoffs. This recent stretch where he's been using his speed to separate people from the puck defensively and still cranking the biscuit has been an interesting time. If he does it on a matchup basis in the playoffs? He may also be close to ready.

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
I don't know if breaking him into the NHL in the middle is the play, but it looks to me like that might be in their minds. And then he would be the actual 4th line center with whoever on his wings. I'm not sure I'm in favor. I want to see how he does in the AHL playoffs. This recent stretch where he's been using his speed to separate people from the puck defensively and still cranking the biscuit has been an interesting time. If he does it on a matchup basis in the playoffs? He may also be close to ready.
Yeah it’s certainly not ideal. I’d prefer we obtain a solid defensive 3C and put Kulich on his wing and rotate him down the middle as injuries come. Eventually working his way there full time.

We will see. A lot of musical chairs to be played this offseason. Adams doesn’t have a choice. Too many people knocking on the door.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Yeah it’s certainly not ideal. I’d prefer we obtain a solid defensive 3C and put Kulich on his wing and rotate him down the middle as injuries come. Eventually working his way there full time.

We will see. A lot of musical chairs to be played this offseason. Adams doesn’t have a choice. Too many people knocking on the door.

Yeah, and we haven't even gotten to the emergent guys like Neuchev who while only 20 has started to pop in the 2nd half of the AHL season.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn

He does have a choice. He could trade them instead of continually having the youngest team in the league.

Can you imagine having the youngest team in the league for 5+ years straight? That’s where we’re headed, especially if we’re penciling in Savoie and Kulich on the roster next year.

Everyone will keep projecting them to be a 98 point team like they did this year, and will keep being surprised when they fall far short. One day Adams has to actually learn something and I’m hoping it’s this offseason, where he actually signs NHL players instead of putting everything on the shoulders of inexperienced kids and then blaming them when they fail. It’s getting old.

Reactions: Nikolajs Sillers

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
He does have a choice. He could trade them instead of continually having the youngest team in the league.

Can you imagine having the youngest team in the league for 5+ years straight? That’s where we’re headed, especially if we’re penciling in Savoie and Kulich on the roster next year.

Everyone will keep projecting them to be a 98 point team like they did this year, and will keep being surprised when they fall far short. One day Adams has to actually learn something and I’m hoping it’s this offseason, where he actually signs NHL players instead of putting everything on the shoulders of inexperienced kids and then blaming them when they fail. It’s getting old.
I don't think Adams will sign anyone significant. I agree the team is too young and something needs to change. My gut says Savoie is the one that gets traded. He seems to be in the rumor mill the most which leads me to believe he is the most asked about and probably has the most value to other teams. I dont think Rosen or Ostlund move the needle enough and Kulich is probably untouchable. Just a guess but then again I could see Savoie in the lineup game one and Buffalo icing the youngest team again. With this organization anything is possible.

Reactions: MagnumForce2

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008

Yeah that’s exactly what I said lol. He has to trade players on the roster or trade prospects to make it work because there’s too many players knocking on the door.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Yeah that’s exactly what I said lol. He has to trade players on the roster or trade prospects to make it work because there’s too many players knocking on the door.
You said he had no choice but to put Kulich on the wing. I disagree -- he doesn't need to put him on the roster to begin the season at all. He could start in the minors and wait for an injury, or trade him.

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
You said he had no choice but to put Kulich on the wing. I disagree -- he doesn't need to put him on the roster to begin the season at all. He could start in the minors and wait for an injury, or trade him.
the odds of kulich being in the minors next year are extremely slim.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008

That ship has long sailed unless Adams makes some big time moves roster wise (possible, imo) and/or brings in a competent coach (seems unlikely).

As for Kulich, if he earns the spot, then he earns it. As Chain said, I think what he does in the playoffs will have an impact, and Im sur Kulich himself knows this, so there's some extra motivation for him!

Reactions: Nikolajs Sillers

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
the issue has been the sabres wouldn’t call him up all year now the issue is we aren’t making him earn it.

I can’t with this site anymore
He’s arguably just earning a call up now, the past month - he struggled a lot this season, afyer tearing it up at the end of last season.

Letting a skinny 20-yr old actually develop in the minors is arguably the only smart move Adams has made this season.

buffalowing88

Aug 11, 2008
Charlotte, NC
He’s arguably just earning a call up now, the past month - he struggled a lot this season, afyer tearing it up at the end of last season.

Letting a skinny 20-yr old actually develop in the minors is arguably the only smart move Adams has made this season.

I agree. Let him simmer some. I just saw him earlier this year in person and he wasn't what I expected. But not in a bad way. He was elite at moving the puck out of the neutral zone and setting guys up. There were some Malikin shades.

He was also non-existent on the defensive side and seemed to give up even when they were tied.

He'll be a luxury for us if he gets motivated. I would like him to be our first call-up next year but I don't know that he is ready to be an immediate roster player until he addresses those tendencies.

I'm not sure about the buy-in if we make him wait another year, but he's got the skillset.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
He turned 20 today. Scored 100 points in the AHL as a teenager including playoffs.…leading the team in goals both years there.

Hope he “earns” some respect from some people one day. Or at least the understanding that not every player’s role is to be Patrice Bergeron.

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
He turned 20 today. Scored 100 points in the AHL as a teenager including playoffs.…leading the team in goals both years there.

Hope he “earns” some respect from some people one day. Or at least the understanding that not every player’s role is to be Patrice Bergeron.

HOOats

NO DOOM NO GLOOM
Nov 19, 2007
City of Buffalo

Funny thing is Kulich is the furthest thing from skinny. Maybe the most jacked 20yo hockey player in the world.

Also one of the very best 20yo goal scorers in the world - showed the whole bag last night. Still Adams has indeed been right to keep slow cooking him (and in the handling of all our prospects really). He's battled through rough patches and seems to be embracing the lessons while recovering his production. I'm curious about Prospal's impact. Add in a third insane WJC, leading scorer. ELC slide is a bonus, having him sub $1M for his age 20-21-22 seasons is great.

Projecting him at age 25 is mouth-watering if he continues to round out his game. He still has a chance at an elite outcome if things break right. There's a 35-40 goal dog of a center possible even if it's not the most likely outcome. Can't trade that player without risking massive regret.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
Projecting him at age 25 is mouth-watering if he continues to round out his game. He still has a chance at an elite outcome if things break right. There's a 35-40 goal dog of a center possible even if it's not the most likely outcome. Can't trade that player without risking massive regret.

Yeah.....going into the season, I thought his ceiling was something akin to the good versions of Vrana/Mantha -- consistent 20/30 goal scorers that play inconsistently physically and are defensively suspect.

Now? He seems to be taking to the center position quite well and is killing penalties effectively. Maybe he becomes the shooting version of Mitts? 30ish goal scorer who is effective enough in both zones?

In 2-3 years, him and Benson on a line could be magic.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010

He’s a hell of a prospect but based on his very limited time up he needs a far bit of more seasoning in the AHL developing and not because he’s young but because they are trying him at center and seems to want to develop him there. That takes a bit for a player to learn, and they are taking a winger and moving him to center. That learning curve may be slightly different.

With the amount of complaints on about Cozens and Oloffsson and their progress, one would think that some would’ve learned to be a bit more gun shy rushing non-finished prospects, especially when the coaching staff is who we have, that a large portion don’t like/trust at the moment.

You’re right that we don’t need to expect every player to be Patrice Bergeron. But is it too much trouble to ask for at least one of them to know what they are doing with their 200’ game? We traded our closest center that somewhat did.

If you expect your 1st rounders to be key players to your roster, you should expect to get the most out of them. You don’t just look at a certain strength in their game early in their development and say that’s all we need.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
To quote Appert from yesterday - these guys should be 60-point (or more) NHL players and those points will happen in 30-40 games. The challenge they've given to the is to be good teammates, to play winning hockey, in the games they aren't generating points as well. Kulich's been a lot better in the last three for four weeks, even playing at center. Baker and Duff have both indicated the plan with Rosen seems to be third line 2-way guy and those guys have access to information from within the team. This seems like it is going according to plan. Seeing Kulich tearing up the ice to disrupt a rush and separating his man from the puck, turning the play back the other way? Mana. Absolute mana.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad