C/W Jesperi Kotkaniemi - Ässät, Liiga (2018, 3rd, MTL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gsus

MVP
Feb 20, 2014
Pori, Finland
Edit: Actually I can understand this when we have Koppanen, Nurmi and Talvitie etc for lower lines.
Are they still better choices than him? I mean they are so called role players. Talvitie is well rounded and looks like he's a great team player. The others not sure if they fit any better than Kotkaniemi. 5 years ago we would talk about grinders and 4th liners being mostly shutout guys. I wouldn't mind to make the team deeper and more skilled with Kotkaniemi in it.

I don't want to sound like a homer but as I've seen him play a lot I thought he's a lock for the team. No lock for the TOP6, but the team.

I'm still happy to see this great team play in Buffalo, but I can't quite get my head around this.

Reactions: Ippenator

FinPanda

Team Finland 2022 WHC champions
Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
Are they still better choices than him? I mean they are so called role players. Talvitie is well rounded and looks like he's a great team player. The others not sure if they fit any better than Kotkaniemi. 5 years ago we would talk about grinders and 4th liners being mostly shutout guys. I wouldn't mind to make the team deeper and more skilled with Kotkaniemi in it.

I don't want to sound like a homer but as I've seen him play a lot I thought he's a lock for the team. No lock for the TOP6, but the team.
Yeah they definitely aren't better players. Just the role choice I can understand.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Wow. He was benched for the 3rd period against Russia at the 4 Nations. He was also their leading scorer so I just figured the coaches were seeing what they had in the other guys. I didn't think it was possible for him to not crack the WJC roster.

Esko6

Sep 14, 2004
Finland
Kotkaniemi is not quite like Laine or Puljujärvi, underagers generally are not so great. He will get a chance later.

Edit: now that I noticed Kupari was invited, it does seem a bit weird.

Last edited:

Prins Filip

Jun 3, 2010
Filippines
I think it is about the handedness. From the potential top 9 players we have right now in the camp, Heponiemi, Tolvanen, Kuokkanen,Vesalainen and Koivula play with left, while only Kupari, Räsänen, Turkulainen and Ikonen play with right. As a leftie, Kotkaniemi simply has much more competition for a role he would fit in - for example he would only be dreaming of PP time over the lefties mentioned.

Reactions: Hockeyisl1fe

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
Kind of disappointing not seeing him in the WJC. The kid has played the entire season in FEL and would have looked like a man amongst the boys despite the age. Guess his stats weren't impressive enough or perhaps it was a question of handedness as someone pointed out. I'm all in for Kupari and happy to see him in the camp but still surprised to see him picked over Kotkaniemi. That said, the team is as stacked this year as it has ever been in the history of Finnish hockey. Gold(en age) awaits!

Erikfromfin

May 18, 2013
Kotkaniemi wasnt selected to u20 top sport tournament back in august while Kupari was that was first indication Rasmus was ahead in picking order

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada
Yeah he should have been at least invited. He’s played better than Kupari in the Liiga this year.

Hockeyisl1fe

Dec 8, 2016
Yeah he should have been at least invited. He’s played better than Kupari in the Liiga this year.
Kupari hasn't had much of chance to showcase himself in stacked Kärpät compared to Kotkaniemi in Ässät. Kupari is a better fit to play in the bottom 6 with his speed and versatility (unlike Kotkaniemi, he has some experience playing as a center in Liiga). Playing in the u20s where speed and skill stands out more is totally different compared to Liiga. Same reason why Joni Ikonen was selected ahead of Kotkaniemi also btw. This whole thing is way too overblown, he wouldn't have been a difference maker anyways at this stage.

1OApick

Jun 29, 2016
Kupari hasn't had much of chance to showcase himself in stacked Kärpät compared to Kotkaniemi in Ässät. Kupari is a better fit to play in the bottom 6 with his speed and versatility (unlike Kotkaniemi, he has some experience playing as a center in Liiga). Playing in the u20s where speed and skill stands out more is totally different compared to Liiga. Same reason why Joni Ikonen was selected ahead of Kotkaniemi also btw. This whole thing is way too overblown, he wouldn't have been a difference maker anyways at this stage.
I can agree about everything youve said but this should include talk sbout players like Jääskä? Not very speedy guy and 0+2 in 8games this year. Kotkaniemi is a guy who just needs to be in this team.

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada
Oh, of course, I’m just talking about so far. Kupari has less opportunity for sure.

Hockeyisl1fe

Dec 8, 2016
I can agree about everything youve said but this should include talk sbout players like Jääskä? Not very speedy guy and 0+2 in 8games this year. Kotkaniemi is a guy who just needs to be in this team.
Well yeah, but it's clear that the coach wanted more defensively realiable players in the bottom-6. There wasn't room for Kotkaniemi in the top 6 after Kuokkanen got available, so he maybe figured that it's a waste of time to even invite him to the camp. Guys like Jääskä and Innala will be fighting for a 4th line spot and both of them could be cut. I am confused though why guys like Somppi and Ylönen weren't invited that's for sure.

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017
Kupari probably impressed more at the russian u20 tourney.

Im just having tough time imaging what Kotkaniemi did so badly that he didnt get an invite despite being the leading scorer at that russian u20 tourney, and having plenty of liiga success

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada
Kupari probably impressed more at the russian u20 tourney.

Im just having tough time imaging what Kotkaniemi did so badly that he didnt get an invite despite being the leading scorer at that russian u20 tourney, and having plenty of liiga success
Yeah, that’s what I was trying to get at man, he’s been looking good in the Liiga

1OApick

Jun 29, 2016
Well yeah, but it's clear that the coach wanted more defensively realiable players in the bottom-6. There wasn't room for Kotkaniemi in the top 6 after Kuokkanen got available, so he maybe figured that it's a waste of time to even invite him to the camp. Guys like Jääskä and Innala will be fighting for a 4th line spot and both of them could be cut. I am confused though why guys like Somppi and Ylönen weren't invited that's for sure.
Thats true but why sacrify offense for defense? Kotkaniemi could bring skill aspect to third line. And if some top line player injury you could have great backup guy. We do not need both Innala and Jääskä we need only one of them.

Hockeyisl1fe

Dec 8, 2016
Thats true but why sacrify offense for defense? Kotkaniemi could bring skill aspect to third line. And if some top line player injury you could have great backup guy. We do not need both Innala and Jääskä we need only one of them.
In the interview Ahokas talked about roles in the team and about importance of having good defensive lines with PKers. Could be argued that he should have went with 3 scoring lines, but it is what it is. He has won gold in the u18s with pretty convincing performances so I have trust on him.

Reactions: 1OApick

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Is he likely to be a winger, or Center in the NHL?

In my eyes he's a natural center and that's where he should be played, but he seems to be playing wing a lot. Don't like it, think his talents are wasted there.

Bearr

Dec 31, 2015
In my eyes he's a natural center and that's where he should be played, but he seems to be playing wing a lot. Don't like it, think his talents are wasted there.

He's only 17. He will play center eventually. Maybe already next year. Currently our centerline is pretty packed. He and Kärki are our top 2 centermen for the following seasons to come.

I think he'll be drafted in the first round this summer, but I don't really think he is NHL ready. He is just a boy. A couple of seasons in Liiga will do him good.

Love the kid.

Quethas

Jan 19, 2010
Tampere
Is he likely to be a winger, or Center in the NHL?
I think his style of play would fit well for center in the future. But he has played on wing for the most part of last few seasons. This of course has much to do with the fact that he has been very lightweight compared to others for last few years but I hope he would eventually have a chance to show what he can do as center.

Why Kupari is drafted before him on every list is beyond me
We at Finnprospects have ranked Kotkaniemi over Kupari for the whole season.

Bearr

Dec 31, 2015
I have a hunch that some people doing rankings don't get to watch a lot of Liiga.

But you'd think they'd at least watch statistics. Kotkaniemi has 20 points where as Kupari has 5 (in half as many games, but still). I'm not saying that Kotkaniemi is better by a mile, but you would expect scouts to take simple stats LIKE POINTS into consideration.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad