C/W Janne Kuokkanen (2016, 43rd, CAR; traded to NJD)

Aug 25, 2009
éal
He has scored in a fourth consecutive game - up to 5 points in his last 4 games and that last game isnt even finished playing. What can NJ fans tell us about him?

VoidCreature

Before you see the light, you must die.
Mar 6, 2015
New Jersey
He has scored in a fourth consecutive game - up to 5 points in his last 4 games and that last game isnt even finished playing. What can NJ fans tell us about him?

He’s a creative passer who’s not afraid to go to the net.

His shooting percentage is unsustainably high right now and I’d like to see more volume from him in terms of pucks on net, but he’s been good.

I think he’s an NHL player.

emptyNedder

Not seeking rents
Sponsor
Jan 17, 2018
Watched a lot of Kuokkanen in the AHL. Two seasons ago he was Charlotte's best player in the first half of the season—more consistent than Necas.

Good hands, not fast but makes quick plays. He stays ahead of the game. Now that he has confidence in the NHL, I would expect him to be a solid middle-six winger who contributes something like 15g/25a most seasons.

justHypnos

May 4, 2011
Montreal
he has 6 goals, yet somehow a fairly high shooting % at 11.5. doesnt really do anything. sometimes his name shows up in the assist column when someone on the ice with him scores. One of the softest players you'll see.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
he has 6 goals, yet somehow a fairly high shooting % at 11.5. doesnt really do anything. sometimes his name shows up in the assist column when someone on the ice with him scores. One of the softest players you'll see.

He is certainly not a goal scorer. That much I agree with. The soft part? I dunno. He doesn't throw big hits, but he is certainly very good at retrieving pucks and digging pucks out of dirty areas. That's why he is such a good fit with a sniper and a playmaker like Sharangovich and Hughes.

Bevans

Apr 15, 2016
He's definitely a low-event player. I wouldn't call his shooting percentage that high.

He's only going to take the shots you can't pass up. If he can stick in the NHL long term he'll always have a slightly higher shooting percentage and a low shot total.

Reactions: Oneiro

justHypnos

May 4, 2011
Montreal
He is certainly not a goal scorer. That much I agree with. The soft part? I dunno. He doesn't throw big hits, but he is certainly very good at retrieving pucks and digging pucks out of dirty areas. That's why he is such a good fit with a sniper and a playmaker like Sharangovich and Hughes.
He has as many hits as Gaudreau and 1 more than Kessel. As for the second part, sure, but that's pretty much the only thing he does all game.

I think he drags down our heroes, just far less than our other wingers, who all seem to be Hughes clones (but significantly worse). I hope one of Mercer, Foote, or Holtz is ready to take that spot next season.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
When you're playing with a sniper like Sharangovich and Jack Hughes in the middle, deferring your shots to linemates isn't the worst idea. He's playing the role of a workhorse on that line, doing the work along the boards to help make space for the shooter and the playmaker.

He is definitely more of a swiss army knife player, jack of all trades/master of none. Very good fundamentals but no real stand out ability. Just a solid all around player than can do anything you ask him to do. He's not a very sexy player but that sort of utility is very useful to have in your lineup.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
When you're playing with a sniper like Sharangovich and Jack Hughes in the middle, deferring your shots to linemates isn't the worst idea. He's playing the role of a workhorse on that line, doing the work along the boards to help make space for the shooter and the playmaker.

He is definitely more of a swiss army knife player, jack of all trades/master of none. Very good fundamentals but no real stand out ability. Just a solid all around player than can do anything you ask him to do. He's not a very sexy player but that sort of utility is very useful to have in your lineup.
Exactly this. His entire job is to dig out pucks and create space for Hughes and Sharangovich, and he's doing a fantastic job at it. The line has been caving in the competition most games at 5on5, they spend 65-70% of their time in the offensive zone, so breaking them up would be insane.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad