C/W Janne Kuokkanen (2016, 43rd, CAR; traded to NJD)

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
I thought the Hurricanes were ready to call up Kuokkanen after trading off some forwards in Haula, Wallmark, Luostarinen and Gauthier.

So I thought some moves made sense for the Hurricanes to call up Kuokkanen. ...Then he gets traded.

Devils may have done good. A possible win win trade.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
He's a good prospect for sure. Makes up for the Devils not being able to get a high pick. Kuokkanen will also have a much better chance to show what he's got before becoming waiver eligible.

Guys like him and Gauthier were blocked for the foreseeable future and the Canes have some really talented guys down in junior and college that will get their chance to replace them in the pipeline now.

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
I think the biggest issue for Kuokkanen is that he plays a similar style as guys like Teravainen and Svechnikov. (offensive forward who isn't overly physical) So for the Hurricaines he brings more of the same and i think that will be a road block for him making it in the NHL in Carolina.

If he was ever traded to a team in need of a solid offensive winger he would flourish imo. He would be nice complementary piece for a team like Pittsburgh, Islanders, ect.

Quoting myself here as i think Kuokkanen will flourish if he gets a chance to play top 6 minutes with one of Hughes or Hischier.

Reactions: Artorius Horus T

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
Quoting myself here as i think Kuokkanen will flourish if he gets a chance to play top 6 minutes with one of Hughes or Hischier.
The part about him playing like Svechnikov or Svechnikov not being a physical forward could not be further from the truth. Svech is pretty physical for a skilled forward (3rd on the team in hits), Kuokkanen is definitely more of a perimeter player. Teuvo is also sneaky good with winning puck battles. Kuokkanen's biggest problem with the Canes was that he wasn't good enough for top 6 or the type of guy who could play in the bottom 6.

Last edited:
Reactions: AndreiThreeK

Pitaya

Prince of the Alps, Nico Hischier
Dec 14, 2019
Maybe he can fill for Coleman in the top-6
Janne has been sent to Binghamton to start. However I do think he will get at least a few games up before season’s end - Fitzgerald has said he will rotate guys in and out and likely no matter how they play (to get everyone some NHL time and because Binghamton is fighting for a playoff spot)

Reactions: HBK27

thomast

Oct 23, 2009
Not very high on him. I don’t think he is elite at any things and i always come out pretty meh watching him play. He have potential to be solid 3rd line player who can do little bit of everything IMO. I was thinking the same about Roope Hintz too who is most likely going to be elite 2nd line player because this kid still has a lot room to grow. I hope Kuokkanen has similar kind of hidden untapped potential to suprise me.

Aug 25, 2009
éal
Not very high on him. I don’t think he is elite at any things and i always come out pretty meh watching him play. He have potential to be solid 3rd line player who can do little bit of everything IMO. I was thinking the same about Roope Hintz too who is most likely going to be elite 2nd line player because this kid still has a lot room to grow. I hope Kuokkanen has similar kind of hidden untapped potential to suprise me.
That sound a lot like Phillip Danault as well

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
Why he's on the 4th line is a mystery.

Manner clearly has no idea what to do with these players. Glad he is gone after this year. Just hate his Nuori Suomi mentality that every line plays the same amount of minutes on 5vs5.

-Räty and Niemelä not playing instead of scrubs like Metsävainio and Ronkainen.
- Kuokkanen played 11 minutes today, he is clearly the best player on the team with Pulju, he should play 20+ minutes.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Manner clearly has no idea what to do with these players. Glad he is gone after this year. Just hate his Nuori Suomi mentality that every line plays the same amount of minutes on 5vs5.

-Räty and Niemelä not playing instead of scrubs like Metsävainio and Ronkainen.
- Kuokkanen played 11 minutes today, he is clearly the best player on the team with Pulju, he should play 20+ minutes.

I agree. Was looking at that line up, i was scratching my head the whole game.

I think HPK should've won yesterday. Kärpät got lucky.

JabbaJabba

Dec 22, 2010
Finland
I agree. Was looking at that line up, i was scratching my head the whole game.

I think HPK should've won yesterday. Kärpät got lucky.

What, Kärpät controlled most of the game and HPK couldn't do much in the 3rd period. Voutilainen kept them in for the most part.

Kuokkanen was good, but Kärpät needs better centers. If Kunyk gets injured, they are in trouble. Or they could play Räty.

Reactions: mattihp

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
5 goals, 6 assists, 11 points, in 19 games, so far for the Devils.

A very welcome surprise, well, sort of not,..a surprise,
all of, those who have followed more than just NHL, has seen him
score points, goals at multiple different levels, finally in New Jersey
he has given a chance.

Hurricanes couldn't find a proper spot for him, luckily
he found that spot from New Jersey.

Reactions: Keke and NJ07102

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad