C/W Janne Kuokkanen (2016, 43rd, CAR; traded to NJD)

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
Could be a real sleeper for the draft had a solid year.

Statistically Aapeli Rasanen was better in U18 WJC's but Kuokkanen was very good also.
Lets see how scouts rank him before draft day. That's for sure Kuokkanen goes somewhere TOP60- TOP90 depends of course organisational / positional needs etc.

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
Have to think he's on RFs radar.

I have a feeling Winnipeg or Columbus picks him up.

If those teams are going through the videos for Pulls and Laine they'll see a lot of him, especially Columbus under 18 highlights.

Nate070

Sep 15, 2010
Maldives
Damn, these Laines and Puljus have totally made me miss this guy. He seems really smart with the puck and also he has a really fast stick to strip the puck. :)

felixhockey

Jan 28, 2016
He's such a sneaky player! I feel like a team like detroit will draft him and make him into the next filppula

mazmin

Wig like a mink skin, soft like Twinkie dough
May 15, 2004
Winnipeg
I think he'll be looked back upon as the 3rd Finn in this draft. Sorry Juolevi :(

Good speed, great agility, reads opponents well, can dangle, decent shot, and is a good sized C who can play the body. I don't see a huge difference between him and Rubtsov who people have ranked in the 15-20 range.

To me he's a 1st round talent who will go in the 2nd round as expected. Jets at pick #36 would make me happy, and I wouldn't flinch if they "reached" at pick #22.

Gsus

MVP
Feb 20, 2014
Pori, Finland
Him and Eetu Tuulola are true under-the-radar prospects from Finland here.

I like Kuokkanen's sneaky style of play. He also made multiple good defensive plays at the u18.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Button has this kid at 31, Leafs need a left shot LWer long term. Sell me on him, at the moment the guys I like in that spot are Benson, Mascherin and Katchouk (in that order). What are his strengths, and do you think he could excel with Matthews and Marner.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Button has this kid at 31, Leafs need a left shot LWer long term. Sell me on him, at the moment the guys I like in that spot are Benson, Mascherin and Katchouk (in that order). What are his strengths, and do you think he could excel with Matthews and Marner.

He's 2 GPG in FEL 2015-16.

Granted, after only one game, but them Lannes and Pulis and whatsthere got nothing on that statistic.

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil

The video a few posts up shows his strengths quite well.

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
Signed 3 year contract with Kärpät, so seems unlikely he would play in CHL next season.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Signed 3 year contract with Kärpät, so seems unlikely he would play in CHL next season.
With both Puljujarvi and Aho likely gone it would make sense to sign him, and give him top-9 minutes and see if he can earn more. If I'm drafting him, I'd hope that is the situation, as he doesn't appear ready for the AHL but its probably better to be on a CHL team than a Finnish U-20 team. I know Mestis loan is possible, not sure what an NHL team would rather at that point (CHL or Mestis).

Prins Filip

Jun 3, 2010
Filippines
I would say signing with Kärpät makes the CHL actually more plausible. With 3 year Liiga-contract he would be loaned to CHL, which would allow him to play wherever the team that drafts him wants him to play in. Otherwise playing in CHL would rule out AHL.

Of course playing in Liiga is still probably the most probable choice.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I would say signing with Kärpät makes the CHL actually more plausible. With 3 year Liiga-contract he would be loaned to CHL, which would allow him to play wherever the team that drafts him wants him to play in. Otherwise playing in CHL would rule out AHL.

Of course playing in Liiga is still probably the most probable choice.
Doesn't matter in this case. He'll be drafted out of the Finnish system, and the import draft to place him isn't til post NHL draft. Contract has no bearing.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Kärpät has some trouble with getting players for the next season. There's even been speculation that Kuokkanen might end up having to fill the role of a 1st liner.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad