C/W Dmitriy Voronkov (2019, 114th, CBJ)

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
He is getting a lot of shots. Are they real chances?
This is sadly part of the coach philosophy I dislike. A lot of shoot ins and dump and chase and then quite a few low quality shots. But you do what the coach is telling you to do. It is a bit comical that the one guy who is just immune to this kind of game so he probably just refuses to listen out of instinct leads the team in scoring. Kagarlitskiy is scoring some beauties(though he is at the bottom fo the team in +/- too, let's not forget about that. But it was known when we signed him. He needs linemates who would clean up defensively and let him do his thing in the O-zone. I am a strong proponent of putting Voronkov on the line with Kagarlitskiy. Voronkov could keep up with Kagarlitskiy's thinking on the offence, clean up in the own zone and add physicality in both ends).

Jovavic

Gaslight Object Project
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased
"Shoot ins"? "Dump and chase"? "Low quality shots"? Welcome to Columbus! He'll fit right in!

It would definitely be that under Torts but we don't know what kind of system Larsen will use.

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
What the heck has happened this season?? Just the idiot coach? Was hoping he’d carry his playoff performance over to regular season

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
What the heck has happened this season?? Just the idiot coach? Was hoping he’d carry his playoff performance over to regular season
The lines of this coach are beyond stupid. Right now Voronkov is playing with a should be VHLer Dynyak and an even younger center Safonov who is big... that's about all about him. Not easy to produce with such linemates.

Reactions: FlyguyOX

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
With such usage is it better to come to NA after this season rather than stay another year?

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
The guy can't do shit on his own though and that's troubling. It's cool to criticize coach and all but Lyamkin, Voronkov and Galimov came out of the gate looking like crap this season (Atas asked me who do I have in mind when I said the bad Ak Bars start is not all Kvartalnov but I didn't have time to answer at the time, meant largely those 3). Galimov has picked it up, the other 2 have not.

It's the same coach as in the years before. Furthermore, it's the one under whom most young players actually do really well, arguably including Voronkov up until this season. That's no excuse, he has to look at himself. He just turned 21 so I don't want to be too harsh but at this point, he can't seem to do anything on his own. He is being given all the TOI in the world by "the bad coach" as well. Usage is definitely not something he can complain about unless riding Galimov's coattails and padding the stat line is all he wants to do.

Last edited:

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
The guy can't do shit on his own though and that's troubling. It's cool to criticize coach and all but Lyamkin, Voronkov and Galimov came out of the gate looking like crap this season (Atas asked me who do I have in mind when I said the bad Ak Bars start is not all Kvartalnov but I didn't have time to answer at the time, meant largely those 3). Galimov has picked it up, the other 2 have not.

It's the same coach as in the years before. Furthermore, it's the one under whom most young players actually do really well, arguably including Voronkov up until this season. That's no excuse, he has to look at himself. He just turned 21 so I don't want to be too harsh but at this point, he can't seem to do anything on his own. He is being given all the TOI in the world by "the bad coach" as well. Usage is definitely not something he can complain about unless riding Galimov's coattails and padding the stat line is all he wants to do.
1.Lyamkin was expected to reach heights? That would be new to me.

2.Galimov has picked it up. Yes. Guess who he is playing with? That basically just proves my point. Galimov is right now basically 1C and is centering the best player on the team in Kaga and Kovalenko. Replacing Kovalenko with Vorornkov is what I was advocating all along, but it is again Kvartalnov and his unconditionla love for the player type of Kovalenko and Dynyak who should not be on the roster. I guess he sees a lot of himself as a player in them. And there is nothing wrong with the particular kind of player. Only they should be on the 3rd and 4th line, where they belong.

3.There is nothing worng with expecting numbers and performance from Voronkov on his own, yet I guess Kvartalnov did what he could to ruin his confidence putting him into position to fail with bottom sixers. So it is both. Kvartalnov's ineptitudes and Voronkov not being able to overcome adversity and still do something notabe.

4.It is the same coach, but he changes. Voronkov's deployment in particular is one of those changes. Just like his whole lines concept this season. It's infuriating to watch. At least the moron knows Kaga is saving his ass from being fired so he does not bury him. And yes he likes young players, but preferably the ones without hockey IQ and I would be happy if that was a joke, but it isn't.

5.Galimov has not the biggest coattails to ride on. He himself benefits greatly from playing with Kaga. With a good grain of realism Voronkov is not a player who could carry a line nor was he ever projected to be one. What I expect from him is not turnimg VHLers into stars, I want him to be an effective complement on a line that has at least some skill to work with.

6.That said the return of Panyukov will make it even harder for Voronkov because it takes away a Top6 spot and Panyukov deserved that sot in a hurry.

7.Watching other guys who left doing great on other teams tells me a big part of the Kvartalnov story too. A bad coach is a bad coach, no matter how much Voronkov should be helping himself.

Last edited:

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
1.Lyamkin was expected to reach heights? That would be new to me.

5.Galimov has not the biggest coattails to ride on.
1. Well, he started the season as a top-pairing D and played himself to like #6 at this point so I'd say yes, the guy blew it big time. And with the entire old top-4 gone from the team, I'd say yes, it was him who was expected to reach new heights.
5. Big or not Voronkov's best career moments, last year's PO included, are tied to Galimov.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
1. Well, he started the season as a top-pairing D and played himself to like #6 at this point so I'd say yes, the guy blew it big time. And with the entire old top-4 gone from the team, I'd say yes, it was him who was expected to reach new heights.
5. Big or not Voronkov's best career moments, last year's PO included, are tied to Galimov.
1.This is part of the long saga of defencemen at AkBars. The last 1D we had was Nikulin(and his departure is in iteslf a part of thesad story of our management). Since then the management tried different strategies to build the D. All of them more or less ineffective. First they started signing veterean russian D-men, who were once great. They all declined with us. Now it's the hunt for the foregin defenceman out of a different league who will miraculously be the superstar in the KHL. Every year a new try. This time around it's Kampfer. And he is not bad and he is leading defencemn in team scoring, but he is no Voynov. And that's the same every year. Before Kampfer there were Murphy and Wikstrand. Same kind of meh(while Kampfer still has time to adapt to the league and break out of course). So honestly AkBars does not have a 1D or a top pairing really. Just a bunch of guys who are okay. None of those is great though. Lyamkin fits in perfectly there. I had hopes for him myself, but it was years ago. Right now it is pretty obvious he has reached his ceiling and is going to be a servicable middle of the pack D-man in the KHL. So where he started the season on paper does not really matter. There is no pairing that stands out on AkBars. As for him playing himself into a #6 role, inconsistency has always been an issue with him. In the past he was getting the benefit of age with it. Now not so much anymore. Anyway, just watch him having some great stretches at some point during the season, then fall of the cliff again. I don't think anybody in the know expected him to take some huge steps. The D, as I mentioned already, was meant to have a top addition in Kampfer and then the still big part of the past core of Khenkel, Rukavishnikov, Lyamkin, Yudin and Zhuravlyov, who are as I pointed out all serviceable guys to eat up all the minutes. It's and adequate group, it just lacks a top guy or two. Then there is Adamchuk who is nothing noticeable so far.

5.There is such thing as inevitability. Voronkov just couldn't play with anybody else. In the past seasons they were both considered too young to give them bigger roles with more prominent linemantes, so they were the young line while the top line spots were occupied by vets who all were objectively better and more productive at the time. It's like saying for a guy who lived in say London all his life that his success is tied to London. Well, technically yes, but you have to look for other factors too and if that one factor outweighs the other factors. You could turn your argument and say that seemingly Galimov's success past and present is due to him playing with great linemates. Would be only partially true. That is by the way what outrages me about Kvartalnov. His Jeckyll&Hyde antics with line combinations. He acknowledges that Kagarlitskiy is the best he has and gives himall the time and space to do his thing, while I was fearing when we signed him that Kvartalnov might do something stupid and put Kagarlitskiy on some bottom six line(just as he does with Zaripov). The team lost a lot of good players(and in my book it's clearly on Kvartalnov. Players who like to play creative hockey just run from him), the youngsters are getting older, so why not giving Galimov a role? And it works just fine for now. And then with Voronkov he does a 180 and plugs him with the worst linemates imagineable to do what? Yes, Voronkov is a five tooler, but we don't have the talent we've had in the past to through a guy like Voronkov on the 4th line "to make it better". It's even more inexplicable because the same coach in the past would from time to time(or due to injuries) put the same, but even younger Voronkov even on the top line. I just don't get the logic of it. But yes, I adimit Voronkov is not helping himself by not producing ANYTHING.

Still in my book our Top 6 is as follows

Kagarlitskiy - Galimov - Voronkov/Kovalenko (While I would prefer Voronkov there)
Panyukov(an even better addition than Kaga, because of age) - Burmistrov(sigh.. he should be and he was a 3C on a good team)/Lindholm(so far he is not making me a believer) - Voronkov/Kovalenko/Petrov

That means our center depth plummeted compared to past rosters. That inevitably(see above) promotes Galimov.

Last edited:

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Rumor has it he is dating a certain olympic chamion. May it help his production. He is better lately.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad