C Vadim Shipachyov - SKA St. Petersburg, KHL (2005 undrafted)

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Never heard of Shipachyov? How's that possible? I've known him as an extremely dangerous forward for at least 2 years and I don't follow KHL.

He's the captain of St. Petersburg SKA and has over 1 PPG over the past 2 seasons.

They never heared of Panarin before either, so it doesn't actually matter.

If Vadim actually is going to try himself in the NHL, he must choose a team, that in a dire need of a scoring center. Like Nash, for example. I think Shipachev + Forsberg can be a pretty decent line.

Pandaman11

Dec 3, 2009
Oh, that's why I couldn't find a thread, because I searched for a different spelling...

He's under contract for one more year, I'm wondering if he'd be allowed to come over this year?

And the question is would he be the next Panarin or the next Plotnikov?

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Oh, that's why I couldn't find a thread, because I searched for a different spelling...

He's under contract for one more year, I'm wondering if he'd be allowed to come over this year?

And the question is would he be the next Panarin or the next Plotnikov?

He's way better than Plotnikov. I don't know if he'll have as much success as Panarin, but he's closer to Panarin in terms of talent than Plotnikov.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
He's quite the late bloomer but Shipachyov plays like an absolute genious. Some of the passes he makes - His vision is not the norm.

And yes, Shipachev is an entirely incorrect spelling. It's a "yo" sound, why would it be written as "e"?

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
He's quite the late bloomer but Shipachyov plays like an absolute genious. Some of the passes he makes - His vision is not the norm.

And yes, Shipachev is an entirely incorrect spelling. It's a "yo" sound, why would it be written as "e"?

Because you can spell the name a) as it sounds or b) corresponding to the way it is written in Russian.

Shipachev is closer to the way it is written. Shipachyov is closer to the way it sounds.

I prefer Shipachev, because when Anglophones pronounce Shipachyov they tend to add an extra syllable.

Pandaman11

Dec 3, 2009

He's not the first and not the last with this io vs. e spelling problem...

I guess the main reason are the different writing systems. Seemingly the letter that denotes the "io" sound translates to "e", but I'm no expert. The are different problems between the Latin and Cyrillic writing systems. For instance, I've also seen Bobrovsky as well as Bobrovski, Ovechkin as well as Ovečkin etc...

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Because you can spell the name a) as it sounds or b) corresponding to the way it is written in Russian.

Shipachev is closer to the way it is written. Shipachyov is closer to the way it sounds.

I prefer Shipachev, because when Anglophones pronounce Shipachyov they tend to add an extra syllable.

Not quite.

It's written with a "yo". Without umlauts(¨) it's "ye". With them it's "yo".

You could write it as Шипачёв but most people would have no clue how that's pronounced. But ё is not e. Just like Pyotr(Пётр) Tchaikovsky is not Petr. It's a completely different letter. Now I'm not Russian but I've taken 3 courses and can read Russian, take it as you may.

This could be an argument for some other cases like russian "o" sometimes being pronounced as "a", not the case here.

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
That looks like "Shepa-chyev" to me not "Ship" but I'm no Slavic expert.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
Not quite.

It's written with a "yo". Without umlauts(¨) it's "ye". With them it's "yo".

You could write it as Шипачёв but most people would have no clue how that's pronounced. But ё is not e. Just like Pyotr(Пётр) Tchaikovsky is not Petr. It's a completely different letter. Now I'm not Russian but I've taken 3 courses and can read Russian, take it as you may.

This could be an argument for some other cases like russian "o" sometimes being pronounced as "a", not the case here.

So you have taken 3 courses and you will lecture a Russian speaker on how to write Shipachev?

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Actually the correct pronounciation would be Shipachov, but using just "o" after "ch" will be totally against the Russian grammar, so no way it will be spelled that way.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
Actually the correct pronounciation would be Shipachov, but using just "o" after "ch" will be totally against the Russian grammar, so no way it will be spelled that way.

There is no correct pronunciation, Caser, because Westerners cannot pronounce a letter they do not have in their alphabet.

Shipachov might actually be the closest equivalent, however it would be pronounced with a slightly elevated 'o' and would sound more like Shipachahv.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
There is no correct pronunciation, Caser, because Westerners cannot pronounce a letter they do not have in their alphabet.

Shipachov might actually be the closest equivalent, however it would be pronounced with a slightly elevated 'o' and would sound more like Shipachahv.

Yeah, probably you're right. Anyway, I'd take the non-ideal "yo" just to avoid spellings like Semin, Shesterkin and Fedorov.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
Yeah, probably you're right. Anyway, I'd take the non-ideal "yo" just to avoid spellings like Semin, Shesterkin and Fedorov.

I'm fine with those. I much prefer Fedorov to Fyodorov. Kovalev to Kovalyov. Neither is correct, but the former is just more basic.

Listening to announcers choking on these names is not ideal to my ear.

This said, I do not blame Varlamov for insisting that his name be spelled Semyon.

malkinfan

Aug 20, 2006
Canada
Another undrafted gem. Do you guys think he can be as effective as Panarin?

He compliments Panarin well, since Panarin is the trigger man, Shipachov is the passer. He tends to over pass, passes on way too chances in prime shooting areas for NHL coaches liking, however a treat for fans to see this kind of hockey. NHL coaches will try to change his style, most likely wrecking him, I'd say his best bet is to take a pay cut and go to Chicago. Joe Q seems to have a higher tolerance for Euros than most coaches. If he goes to Montreal like some of the rumors, can't see him lasting long there.

ValeriKamensky

May 8, 2013
Shipachyov under pressure - it`s another Shipachyov.
He`s like Fedorov on the clean ice, on the European ice. But he`s almost 30, he never played on the small ice, he never played 82 games, he don`t know what is NHL playoffs.

Sure, his NHL future not so bright.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Shipachyov under pressure - it`s another Shipachyov.
He`s like Fedorov on the clean ice, on the European ice. But he`s almost 30, he never played on the small ice, he never played 82 games, he don`t know what is NHL playoffs.

Sure, his NHL future not so bright.

Despite this, he can still easily be a bargain 2nd liner in NHL. And he peaked late... It's not like usual where a 30 yo is in decline.

His play style is extremely pretty and makes for incredible highlight reels but I feel like he's going to have to simplify for NHL... which might just ruin his character and charm as a player.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Chicago should sign Dadonov and Shipachyov and let them do their thing with Panarin.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad