C Vadim Shipachyov - SKA St. Petersburg, KHL (2005 undrafted)

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
I doubt he'd consider it unless he was given a one-way contract and promised good ice time and a first class ticket back to the KHL if things don't work out.

Bear12Good

Dec 7, 2015
Russia
Can Shipachev become a superstar in the NHL?

Shipachev can become a superstar in the NHL?
Play at a level Couture ?:)
bi1e0FtojQs.jpg

sjbSPQVPFDc.jpg

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
and your proof is leading this tournament in scoring????

well then, I submit Viktor Tikhonov and Sergei Plotnikov finishing 1 and 3 in tournament scoring in 2014. Both are nowhere near NHL caliber players and my guess is neither is Shipachov at 30 something years old.

But give it a try, Vadim. Give it a try. If it doesn't work out then it won't be your fault. It will be the coach's fault anyway. That's the standard excuse...

Bear12Good

Dec 7, 2015
Russia
and your proof is leading this tournament in scoring????

well then, I submit Viktor Tikhonov and Sergei Plotnikov finishing 1 and 3 in tournament scoring in 2014. Both are nowhere near NHL caliber players and my guess is neither is Shipachov at 30 something years old.

But give it a try, Vadim. Give it a try. If it doesn't work out then it won't be your fault. It will be the coach's fault anywhere. That's the excuse we hear all the time.

Do you think Shipachev and Plotnikov players of the same level?
Shipachev AHL player level?)

RobertR

Jul 5, 2012
He needs a skilled guys on his wings. Then its possible.

If he signs with some teams that will threat him like some KHL guy who first needs to prove he even belongs in NHL, with banging alongside some scrubs in the 3rd or 4th line, then he will go back to KHL.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
Do you think Shipachev and Plotnikov players of the same level?
Shipachev AHL player level?)

He's a center. Russia is bereft at center. if he was anywhere close to the level you imagine him to be, a Logan Coutour level player, do you not think he would have been on the Russian Olympic team in Sochi when he was more in his prime, 27-28 years old? If he wasn't that then then it's unlikely he is that now. You shouldn't make any conclusions based on the results of this tournament.... put him on the World Cup team and see what he does then.

NobleSix

High Tech Low-Life.
Apr 20, 2013
CyberSpace
www.ilovebees.co
He's a center. Russia is bereft at center. if he was anywhere close to the level you imagine him to be, a Logan Coutour level player, do you not think he would have been on the Russian Olympic team in Sochi when he was more in his prime, 27-28 years old? If he wasn't that then then it's unlikely he is that now. You shouldn't make any conclusions based on the results of this tournament.... put him on the World Cup team and see what he does then.

He's been one of the KHL's best scorers for the past few seasons. This thread isn't only based on his tournament scoring. He outproduced kovalchuk this season, and had only one less point in 5 less games than him the season before.

I'm not saying he will be Couture level, but could likely be a pretty good top 6 forward in the NHL.

Mad Brills*

Any comparables for someone coming over at his age and doing well?

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
He's been one of the KHL's best scorers for the past few seasons. This thread isn't only based on his tournament scoring. He outproduced kovalchuk this season, and had only one less point in 5 less games than him the season before.

I'm not saying he will be Couture level, but could likely be a pretty good top 6 forward in the NHL.

I'll be surprised if this happens. I don't see it. but as I said, he should give it a try...Nothing to lose. If it doesn't work out it won't be his fault. It will be the coach's fault or he was never given the opportunity. That's the standard go to excuse.

and Kovalchuk is nowhere near the player he once was. sharp sharp decline. So, out producing him is no great accomplishment.

Last edited:

Android 16

Jun 23, 2011
Florida
I would bet no.

Same reason why Dadonov can't; because they both don't play a physical game. You need to be willing to dish out and take punishment to have a chance to flourish in the NHL.

RobertR

Jul 5, 2012
[/B]

I'll be surprised if this happens. I don't see it. but as I said, he should give it a try...Nothing to loose. If it doesn't work out it won't be his fault. It will be the coach's fault or he was never given the opportunity. That's the standard go to excuse.

and Kovalchuk is nowhere near the player he once was. sharp sharp decline. So, out producing him is no great accomplishment.

Yeah, its always players fault. Because everyone who isn't playing in the NHL, or can't establish himself there, just isn't good for the league. Its that simple.

Proust*

Dec 8, 2010
Never heard of him, so no. No guy I've never heard of has gone on to become a superstar in the NHL.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Never heard of him, so no. No guy I've never heard of has gone on to become a superstar in the NHL.

Never heard of Shipachyov? How's that possible? I've known him as an extremely dangerous forward for at least 2 years and I don't follow KHL.

He's the captain of St. Petersburg SKA and has over 1 PPG over the past 2 seasons.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
50-point center maybe. In the right situation.

I agree with this. A lot of those who don't want the KHL probably have no clue how good he is. I'd submit that he's been the best player in the KHL the last few years. He doesn't play physical and he's not great defensively, but there are plenty of centers like that in the NHL who are still good players without being that good defensively or physically. I really believe people only are mentioning this as a problem because he's Russian.

Proust*

Dec 8, 2010
Never heard of Shipachyov? How's that possible? I've known him as an extremely dangerous forward for at least 2 years and I don't follow KHL.

He's the captain of St. Petersburg SKA and has over 1 PPG over the past 2 seasons.

There's tons of these KHL starts over the years. Some of them come over for 1 or 2 seasons, and most of them don't.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
There's tons of these KHL starts over the years. Some of them come over for 1 or 2 seasons, and most of them don't.

Last season he played with Artemi Panarin with a similar PPG and better +/-. Panarin did pretty well in NHL. I honestly think 50 points is pretty severe lowballing.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
He's easily talented enough for a top 6 role......but I'm not sure his game is suited for the NHL. And at 30, he's rather old to try and transition his style.

whlscowt

I don't see Ship as an NHL player. He doesn't have the head or the skating ability to play the kind of role he'd need to. For me in a situation like this, it's more about skillset than stats. He's got some great offensive skills, but so did guys like Moses; the NHL game is too fast for a guy like Ship--just watch him when the big games start and the talent, speed and intensity picks up, and he's not playing the Danes or Norwegians.

A lot of guys who couldn't hack it in the NHL outproduced Kovalchuk this year so I don't think it's a great argument. Dawes (he's in the tourny too) and Bochenski are KHL elite and have been for a few seasons, it's a slightly different game over there. Neither of those two would be NHL'ers at this point in their careers, and I just don't believe Ship is either.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad