C Tyler Soy - Victoria Royals, WHL (2016, 205th, ANA)

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
I like his game, he's a really smart, slick player and I guess his height will hold him back but after the 2nd round, I wouldn't disagree with taking him.

Bobby Blowhard

Dec 8, 2007
Has been on a tear lately benefiting from the addition of Alex Forsberg.

Points in 9 of last 10 games and 9+5 in his last 7, has reached 1 ppg, highest + - on the team and third in points behind Carroll and Hicketts with 54 on the season.

Anyone think he could creep into the 3rd round of the draft?

zjh

@ZenonHerasymiuk
Jan 24, 2011
AB88

Points in 9 of last 10 games and 9+5 in his last 7, has reached 1 ppg, highest + - on the team and third in points behind Carroll and Hicketts with 54 on the season.

I would guess not. Although it wouldn't be ridiculous to rank him there. If he was a bit stronger and a better skater he'd be there for sure. Saw him play very well in Kelowna on Friday night. Scored him as a 4 maybe 5 guy.

arsmaster*

I wouldn't really attribute much of his recent production boon on the acquisition of Forsberg.

He had 15 points in the 10 games leading up to Forsberg's acquistion.

I could see him pulling in a 3rd round grade, other than his slight frame he's got everything you want in a 3rd line player at the next level: smart, skilled and ultra competitive. I've said it a few times, but if Harkins had the same competitive streak he'd be cemented as a top 15 player.

zjh

@ZenonHerasymiuk
Jan 24, 2011
AB88
Should also be noted that Dave Lowry coaching him is a very big influence. Lowry will tell him what he needs to do to be a pro. Dave is a perfect fit in that regard IMO.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Last 22 GP, 17-16-33, +28. Had a slow start but has been performing at an elite level since mid-December.

Has Tyler Ennis hands and anticipation but not Tyler Ennis skating. Is showing an excellent motor, though, and developing into a quality three-zone player. Does have room to fill out as he still looks like he's 12 years old.

Wouldn't be surprised at all to see him go in the 3rd round. Probably the #3 prospect in the BC Division right now after Merkley and Harkins.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Last 22 GP, 17-16-33, +28. Had a slow start but has been performing at an elite level since mid-December.

Has Tyler Ennis hands and anticipation but not Tyler Ennis skating. Is showing an excellent motor, though, and developing into a quality three-zone player. Does have room to fill out as he still looks like he's 12 years old.

Wouldn't be surprised at all to see him go in the 3rd round. Probably the #3 prospect in the BC Division right now after Merkley and Harkins.

I like Brad Morrison a bit more than Soy. Soy is definitely 4th or 5th on the list though.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I like Brad Morrison a bit more than Soy. Soy is definitely 4th or 5th on the list though.

Very similar players. I think Soy has a higher skill level and upside, and like his coaching/developmental situation in Victoria for the next 2 years more than Morrison's. Morrison is probably a bit better skater.

It's a thin year for that division. I only have 7 players I'd even consider worth a draft pick in any round (plus maybe Jake Morrissey who I haven't seen play) :

1) Merkley
2) Harkins
3) Soy
4) Morrison
5) Reddekopp
6) Olson
7) Sideroff

stayinalive

Jul 29, 2012
Very similar players. I think Soy has a higher skill level and upside, and like his coaching/developmental situation in Victoria for the next 2 years more than Morrison's. Morrison is probably a bit better skater.

It's a thin year for that division. I only have 7 players I'd even consider worth a draft pick in any round (plus maybe Jake Morrissey who I haven't seen play) :

1) Merkley
2) Harkins
3) Soy
4) Morrison
5) Reddekopp
6) Olson
7) Sideroff

no Gatenby?

zjh

@ZenonHerasymiuk
Jan 24, 2011
AB88

1) Merkley
2) Harkins
3) Soy
4) Morrison
5) Reddekopp
6) Olson
7) Sideroff
Morrison is more skilled, creative, and dynamic. Soy is more cerebral and heady. Great defensively. Morrison a quicker skater.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
no Gatenby?

I don't see any sort of pro in Gatenby.

Undersized, average skater, limited skill level, nothing special defensively. To me he's a dime-a-dozen junior defender headed to CIS in a couple years. Only thing that makes me pause is that weird things seem to happen to defenders in Kelowna ... but he still wouldn't be a guy I would draft.

Morrison is more skilled, creative, and dynamic. Soy is more cerebral and heady. Great defensively. Morrison a quicker skater.

Agreed on the skating but to me Soy has superior puck skills and a defter touch around the net, and a more substantial offensive upside.

zjh

@ZenonHerasymiuk
Jan 24, 2011
AB88

Undersized, average skater, limited skill level, nothing special defensively. To me he's a dime-a-dozen junior defender headed to CIS in a couple years. Only thing that makes me pause is that weird things seem to happen to defenders in Kelowna ... but he still wouldn't be a guy I would draft.

Agreed on the skating but to me Soy has superior puck skills and a defter touch around the net, and a more substantial offensive upside.
Agree to disagree. Soy has decent hands, but doesn't have the ability to make people miss like Morrison does. Soy makes good smart, quick decisions with the puck, but Morrison can straight up burn you with his hands and quickness. Similar players, might have Soy moved ahead of Morrison after last view. Probably both in the 100-150 area of our rankings when all is said and done.

Last edited:

puckfan13

Jan 18, 2010

Anyone that has seen Soy and Morrison more than once or twice would be able to sense a notable difference in the pure puck skills... and the advantage would be going to Morrison right now.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Agree to disagree. Soy has decent hands, but doesn't have the ability to make people miss like Morrison does. Soy makes good smart, quick decisions with the puck, but Morrison can straight up burn you with his hands and quickness. Similar players, might have Soy moved ahead of Morrison after last view. Probably both in the 100-150 area of our rankings when all is said and done.

Anyone that has seen Soy and Morrison more than once or twice would be able to sense a notable difference in the pure puck skills... and the advantage would be going to Morrison right now.

I've seen Soy a lot and Morrison a few times.

Agree to disagree, or perhaps we just mean different things in terms of 'puck skill' and you're referring more to a player's stickhandling and I'm referring to what they do with the puck on their stick in scoring areas.

I agree Morrison is a better skater and more dangerous in 1-on-1 situations on the rush, and more likely to dangle a guy. But I generally think Soy is more talented and has more options with the puck on his stick, and better hands around the net. And Soy has been just crushing it the past 2+ months - one of the leading scorers in the WHL over that span.

statsking

Jan 19, 2015
Calgary / Pg
I've seen Soy a lot and Morrison a few times.

Agree to disagree, or perhaps we just mean different things in terms of 'puck skill' and you're referring more to a player's stickhandling and I'm referring to what they do with the puck on their stick in scoring areas.

I agree Morrison is a better skater and more dangerous in 1-on-1 situations on the rush, and more likely to dangle a guy. But I generally think Soy is more talented and has more options with the puck on his stick, and better hands around the net. And Soy has been just crushing it the past 2+ months - one of the leading scorers in the WHL over that span.

Morrison for sure has the edge in skill , Ive seen them both and he is definitely more exciting to watch.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Lands at #16 on my final WHL player ranking for 2015: http://whl-from-above.blogspot.ca/2015/05/final-whl-rankings-2015-nhl-draft.html

#16 Tyler Soy

Team: Victoria Royals
Position: C
Shoots: L
Height: 5’11.5
Weight: 172
GP: 69
Goals: 28
Assists: 35
Pts/Gm: 0.91
PIM: 29

Player Analysis: Tyler Soy is a skilled and cerebral centre for the Victoria Royals…wouldn’t classify him as a prototypical “burner”, classifying him more as a “quick” player…has a look to him as if he’s rather light on his feet which allows for good agility in all directions...doesn’t have any major flaws to his skating stride and will get faster and stronger on his skates as he adds muscle…is extremely smart in his positioning and the way he reads the game offensively…excels in tight space due to his ability to both handle the puck in traffic and find holes in a defence…is extremely comfortable with the puck on his stick and understands the pacing of a game…doesn’t rush into his playmaking and will take hits to make plays…will also zip a pass through a tight hole if given only a short timing window…has the ability to receive and shoot in one fluid motion…doesn’t possess an overly strong shot but knows to get it away quickly…shot is also extremely accurate…has the ability to finish in tight spaces and on his backhand when needed…lack of mass does hurt him at times offensively, even though he isn’t a player that gets hit often…isn’t overly strong on his stick…his hockey sense translates quite well to the defensive side of the puck…positions himself well, reads the play well…relies on a quick stick to win battles for pucks and to strip pucks from the opposition…isn’t an overly physical player…his motor has seemed to be rather inconsistent…at times he’s all over the ice, outworking everyone…other times he relies on his sense and timing to make a difference…at the end of the day I don’t see him being the kind of guy that will ever excel as your “prototypical bottom 6 guy” who plays with energy and physicality…that boom and bust type of classification is probably one of the bigger knocks against him…spent most of the last half of the season on a line with Jack Walker and Greg Chase while also being a regular on special teams…registered 6 points in 5 games while winning a Gold medal at the Ivan Hlinka tournament in the summer of 2014…recognized as the Victoria Royals Unsung Player at their 2014-15 awards ceremony…really turned on the jets in the second half of the season, registering 34 points in his final 33 games of the regular season…his 28 regular season goals were the 4th best among all first-year draft-eligible WHL forwards while his 23 primary assists were also 4th best amongst that group…had 20 even-strength goals this regular season, the 4th best mark among first-time draft-eligible WHL forwards…finished 5th in regular season points among first-year draft-eligible WHL forwards and 6th in points-per-game average…scored 12.23% of all Victoria Royals goals this season, good for the 5th highest mark of any first-year draft-eligible WHL forward…was involved in 27.51% of all Royals goals this year, good for 6th best among that same group…was a 1st round selection, 8th overall, by the Victoria Royals at the 2012 WHL Bantam Draft…overall I see Soy as a smart but slight player who is extremely skilled but lacks a bit of a dynamic edge…I think he could end up being one of those guys that ends up as a mid-round pick but comes out of the woodwork down the line to be a productive pro…ultimately I project him as a middle 6 style of NHL player who will likely need to get sheltered at times as a scorer at that next level…I also expect his development to take a little longer than some other players picked in his range, just due to his very slim build and lack of overall explosive tendencies…comparable-wise, I think a guy like Brad Richards and Soy have some similarities as neither are truly dynamic in their mobility but have high-end smarts and puck skill…there is no doubt he has some of the best hands among WHL skaters in this draft and will likely come off the board any time starting in about the 4th round, which is roughly where I would rate him as well…

Scouter

Oct 21, 2007
Man, will Victoria ever produce a top NHL prospect, just brutal, at the start of the season him and Reddekopp could have been 1st rounders, but now they can't be found in the top 120.

Scouter

Oct 21, 2007
^ Yep, probably the most shocking undrafted player, at least his teammate Chaz did.

Scouter

Oct 21, 2007
I'm pretty certain he will be signed, which is actually better than being drafted, so all is not lost.

Scouter

Oct 21, 2007
He has been invited to the Oilers rookie camp next week, a good chance for him, I hope they sign him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad