C Tyler Soy - Victoria Royals, WHL (2016, 205th, ANA)

Scouter

Oct 21, 2007
I've seen him mentioned as a possible 1rd 15' draft pick, but has not had a good start this year, so it could hurt his stock, what do people think of him?

What's his game?

Last edited:

zjh

@ZenonHerasymiuk
Jan 24, 2011
AB88
Good two-way centre. Not the biggest guy but very smart. Decent scoring tools. A little early to call him a 1st rounder or anything else as he's still settling into the league.

Scouter

Oct 21, 2007
Good two-way centre. Not the biggest guy but very smart. Decent scoring tools. A little early to call him a 1st rounder or anything else as he's still settling into the league.

So we are to give high Bantam picks a pass early in the season, I understand that some might need to settle, it's just that others are off to good starts.

scoutman1

Twitter - scoutman33
Feb 19, 2005
www.facebook.com
So we are to give high Bantam picks a pass early in the season, I understand that some might need to settle, it's just that others are off to good starts.
i have not seen him yet this year but I will say that just because others have better starts they could be in different situations with the team such as more playing time, better linemates or just the plain fact that sometimes players need a little more time compared to other players to adjust, not that they are worse because half the time they surpass the players who were doing better.

zjh

@ZenonHerasymiuk
Jan 24, 2011
AB88

You cant hold all prospects to the same standard as Mathew Barzal. It is extremely rare for 16's to be PPG players. A good season fro Soy would be 25 points IMO

Scouter

Oct 21, 2007
You cant hold all prospects to the same standard as Mathew Barzal. It is extremely rare for 16's to be PPG players. A good season fro Soy would be 25 points IMO

Well you can hold them to a high/er standard if they are a projected 1rd pick in the 15' NHL draft, which Soy is.

zjh

@ZenonHerasymiuk
Jan 24, 2011
AB88
Realistically, Soy could be considered a 1st round prospect by some after his midget season. But anyone placing him there knows fully that it is an extremely preliminary ranking.

Soy is a very good player for his age. If he develops like many people anticipate him to then he could be a first rounder. Right now he isn't producing on the scoresheet, but his game is a lot more than goals and assists. I haven't seen him play this year but I'm sure he is contributing in other ways.

A lot of mistakes can be made by critisizing young players too harshly early in their careers. I am not going on the record and saying he will be a 1st rounder, but I will say that we shouldn't label players that have played under 20 games.

gojays

Jan 15, 2007
I've seen Soy lots this year. You see glimpses of his skill and hockey IQ. But he is really over matched this year. He plays limited minutes because he is small and not nearly strong enough. He plays very tentatively and with little confidence. The jury is out on the kid for now.

Scouter

Oct 21, 2007
Realistically, Soy could be considered a 1st round prospect by some after his midget season. But anyone placing him there knows fully that it is an extremely preliminary ranking.

Soy is a very good player for his age. If he develops like many people anticipate him to then he could be a first rounder. Right now he isn't producing on the scoresheet, but his game is a lot more than goals and assists. I haven't seen him play this year but I'm sure he is contributing in other ways.

A lot of mistakes can be made by critisizing young players too harshly early in their careers. I am not going on the record and saying he will be a 1st rounder, but I will say that we shouldn't label players that have played under 20 games.

Well you are certainly saying that Barzal will be a top pick in the 15' draft, isn't it too early to say that about him as well, or are you using a different set of rules with him.

zjh

@ZenonHerasymiuk
Jan 24, 2011
AB88
Well you are certainly saying that Barzal will be a top pick in the 15' draft, isn't it too early to say that about him as well, or are you using a different set of rules with him.

Yes I am. Barzal is an exceptional talent. A monkey could figure out he's a special hockey player. Widely regarded as one of the best in his age group.

Where has anyone gone on record saying Soy is a sure fire 1st rounder? You are judging him by an unfair standard. He's a 16 year-old hockey player with a lot of potential. Still adjusting to the junior game.

Not to be rude, but have you seen Soy play live, or are you judging him based on others expectations. As someone that's seen him multiple times I am not worried one bit about his start. I don't know anyone that expected him to come in and be a PPG player.

Jamie Benn

NHL Draft Enthusiast
Aug 14, 2008
At The Rink
Yes I am. Barzal is an exceptional talent. A monkey could figure out he's a special hockey player. Widely regarded as one of the best in his age group.

Where has anyone gone on record saying Soy is a sure fire 1st rounder? You are judging him by an unfair standard. He's a 16 year-old hockey player with a lot of potential. Still adjusting to the junior game.

Not to be rude, but have you seen Soy play live, or are you judging him based on others expectations. As someone that's seen him multiple times I am not worried one bit about his start. I don't know anyone that expected him to come in and be a PPG player.

Soy's game is based on his two-way play, he plays on the third line with the rare occasion of powerplay time. He's efficient and sneaky, still adjusting and make little mistakes with the puck, but defensively i've come away nothing but impressed for this kid. I think he will be a great two-way foward for the 2015 draft.

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
I love this game, he's a smart player who plays like a veteran. I think he's a steal in the late 2nd round.

hoc123

Feb 23, 2014
Anyone know Soy's potential. Hearing he is a good 2- way presence, size not a strength but not a weakness and I know never to judge someone on points in the chl but with 9 points in 11 games it shows that he must have some offensive potential. I'm guessing 3'rd line potential but not sure. If my guessing is correct I would say should be chosen between late 2'nd to mid 3'rd

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Had him as an Honorable Mention on my early-season WHL draft rankings, meaning I would slate him somewhere around the 5th round or so. I do like his tools, just worried a bit about size considering he's not the most dynamic guy out there. Great hands, though.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
12 points, +15 (!) in his last 6 games. Looks to be re-establishing himself as a guy worthy of a mid-late round pick after a poor start to the season.

arsmaster*

12 points, +15 (!) in his last 6 games. Looks to be re-establishing himself as a guy worthy of a mid-late round pick after a poor start to the season.

With the teams best defensman away at WJ's.

I like him. Thought he could be a late 2nd before the season, but he's probably not there yet.

If Jansen Harkins had the tenacity of Soy, you'd be looking at a potential top 10 selection.

He'll need development time, but he's a solid player.

---

Royals and Tigers on Shaw tonight for those interested.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
So what are his strengths and weaknesses? Where are people slotting him for the draft?

Biggest thing holding him back is his verrrry slight frame. Honestly just needs to puberty to really kick in and he might be ok.

Smart player though.

Bobby Blowhard

Dec 8, 2007
Tyler Soy is a nice player but imo any NHL potential will depend on him learning to be more assertive on the ice.

He tends to stay on the perimetre a bit too much, and is a pass first type despite having some game breaking tools. A growth spurt, leading to more confidence and willingness to attack head on would do wonders for his game. The fundamentals are in place in that he's an above average skater and passer, has a great two way game and good hockey IQ. Overall, I wouldn't say any part of his game is spectacular but he is complete player, physical traits notwithstanding.

Next year will tell a lot as he will be put into a leadership position and will be relied on to produce offensively rather than play the support role that a pretty deep Royals team is affording him now.

Long term project that projects as a Chris Kelly type player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad