C Trevor Zegras (2019, 9th, ANA)

Status
Not open for further replies.

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
Great game today for Z he is gonna be a stud

Yeah he had a hell of a game! i just feel like alot of time he should simplify his passes, he tries to be fancy and deceptive a little too much, with his skill and pin point pass accuracy, alot of time the simplier but perfect pass would be more effective! not specially in this game but i've seen him alot of time missing opportunity looking for that fancy play!

but yeah like you said, he's gonna be a stud!

TopShelfWaterBottle

Registered
Mar 16, 2014
Yeah he had a hell of a game! i just feel like alot of time he should simplify his passes, he tries to be fancy and deceptive a little too much, with his skill and pin point pass accuracy, alot of time the simplier but perfect pass would be more effective! not specially in this game but i've seen him alot of time missing opportunity looking for that fancy play!

That might have a lot to do with him playing every game as the coaching staff may want to see more of him before guaranteeing him a spot

Oct 18, 2011

OTOH if he's in the pros playing with high skill players they'll convert on those deceptive passes alot

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
I don’t think so. Cozens probably won’t score as many points, but he’s not that much worse of a prospect and he’s a much better fit to their team needs.
I personally think he’s much worse prospect. A lot lower hockey sense, lower skill, worse decision making. All cozens has on zegras is size and speed. Obviously if mittelstadt becomes a legit 2C, then cozens May fit well as a 3C down the line, but for me that’s cozens ceiling.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Eichel, Mittelstadt and Zegras are too similar stylistically. I think they needed a bigger center who is a good two way player and plays a more N-S offensive game than E-W.

Reactions: Getz2noone

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Eichel, Mittelstadt and Zegras are too similar stylistically. I think they needed a bigger center who is a good two way player and plays a more N-S offensive game than E-W.

No, they needed the best player available. You can't have too many skilled centers. That's like Pittsburgh taking J Staal over Backstrom, Toews, or Kessel.

Masch78

Oct 5, 2017
Easily the best value of the 1st round. I think he got a great chance to be the 3rd best player from his draft.

I think he may even turn out as the best player in the draft. He has some sort of cockiness that is quite rare for a a player of his style. Hughes obviously is a little further and therefore superior right now. Z has some way to go but he is so freaking dynamic and versatile.

Reactions: The Sweetness

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
backstrom/kuz hybrid

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
No, they needed the best player available. You can't have too many skilled centers. That's like Pittsburgh taking J Staal over Backstrom, Toews, or Kessel.

That’s only if you believe Cozens sucks. Many people thought he was in that same tier of centers. I had Zegras slightly higher, but when two players are in the same tier, team need should factor in.

The Sweetness

Jul 15, 2010
Stockholm
A team should never draft based on stylistic needs if they feel there is a clear difference in BPA.

Teams needs change and worst case you can always flip a superior player for your needs + more value if things don’t fit.

As someone stated below look at Pitt with J Stars and Toews, Bäckström etc.

If teams don’t maximize their return on their early draft picks they will never be contenders.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
A team should never draft based on stylistic needs if they feel there is a clear difference in BPA.

Teams needs change and worst case you can always flip a superior player for your needs + more value if things don’t fit.

As someone stated below look at Pitt with J Stars and Toews, Bäckström etc.

If teams don’t maximize their return on their early draft picks they will never be contenders.

Worst case, you cannot always do that. We've seen a lot this season that teams have struggled to move their spare assets.

Do you think that Buffalo thought they were a different tier of player? I don't think they did and I don't think they are. You can certainly think that Cozens isn't a good player and that they should've picked Zegras instead, but the opposite viewpoint is also valid, and there's no indication that this is a situation where Buffalo ignored BPA or very close to BPA to draft for need.

Reactions: sammystl5

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Worst case, you cannot always do that. We've seen a lot this season that teams have struggled to move their spare assets.

Do you think that Buffalo thought they were a different tier of player? I don't think they did and I don't think they are. You can certainly think that Cozens isn't a good player and that they should've picked Zegras instead, but the opposite viewpoint is also valid, and there's no indication that this is a situation where Buffalo ignored BPA or very close to BPA to draft for need.

Yeah, picks 3-10 were pretty interchangeable. Wouldn't surprise me if Cozens turned out better than Dach or Turcotte. Similarly, wouldn't surprise me if Zegras was better than all of them. Taking Cozens 7th was not a reach. Taking Zegras at 5, 6, or 7 wouldn't have been a reach either. Cozens didn't have the benefit of playing in the summer showcase which may have allowed him to "showcase" his strengths. Going to be very interesting to look back 3-5 years and reassess the top 10. I think they'll all be pretty successful NHL players.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Not sure if the video link will work or not because its from the Athletic but Pronman pointed out this nutty pass that Zegras had.

https://cdn.theathletic.com/app/uploads/2019/08/04121010/Zegras0804.mp4?_=1

I had to watch that a few times over and ask Zegras to verify what happened, but what he did was scoop the puck up on his stick and flung it behind his back to the defenseman at the point, or as Zegras put it, “there was a defender on my back so I was let’s just try it.” This kind of imagination is why I believe so much in his potential.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad