"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
Q

Last edited:

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I think the best comparisons are Barzal and Kuznetsov. Some of these players mentioned like Pettersson or Backstrom don't skate anywhere near as good as Zegras. When Zegras wants to, he can skate by anyone with ease. He probably slows down the play too much right now in junior hockey, but as he gets to the NHL and the game is faster, I think he'll be required to play at a faster pace.

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
I love the style of player Zegras is so I'm a huge fan of the pick for the Ducks. They're about to begin the painful process of a rebuild but Zegras is a great first step! In fact, the Ducks are so good at drafting that maybe it won't be so painful. Getzlaf won't be around long but Zegras will have the benefit of playing with guys like Fowler, Rackell, Lindholm etc.

I take it, much like Turcotte, Ducks fans figure he only needs the one year of college and then it's off to Anaheim?

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
I love the style of player Zegras is so I'm a huge fan of the pick for the Ducks. They're about to begin the painful process of a rebuild but Zegras is a great first step! In fact, the Ducks are so good at drafting that maybe it won't be so painful. Getzlaf won't be around long but Zegras will have the benefit of playing with guys like Fowler, Rackell, Lindholm etc.

I take it, much like Turcotte, Ducks fans figure he only needs the one year of college and then it's off to Anaheim?

Zegras himself has said that's how he sees it playing out FWIW

Ideally we see a full season of Steel this year, and Zegras breaking in the following season. Terry, Lundestrom, Comtois...there's a lot to be excited about up front.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Zegras himself has said that's how he sees it playing out FWIW

Ideally we see a full season of Steel this year, and Zegras breaking in the following season. Terry, Lundestrom, Comtois...there's a lot to be excited about up front.

Rakell-Zegras-Kase
Comtois-Steel-Terry
Jones-Lundestrom-Silfverberg
Sprong-Shore-Martinsen

Looks good to me. Assuming everyone develops right.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Rakell-Zegras-Kase
Comtois-Steel-Terry
Jones-Lundestrom-Silfverberg
Sprong-Shore-Martinsen

Looks good to me. Assuming everyone develops right.
It will never end up like this but the bottom line is that we have:

Zegras
Terry
Steel
Comtois
Lundestrom all with legit top 6 potential

I`d argue that Tracey as well, but he`s further away than these. In 3-4 years we could have a really dangerous forward group.

On the other hand, look what happened with our blue line. We had a potential of:

Lindholm-Manson
Fowler-Vatanen
Theodore-Montour
Pettersson

but instead have only 3 of them left. Things can hange quickly :/

But regarding Zegras, will see. He has showed willingness to play only one season in NCAA but I`m sure the situation will be looked at again at the end of the season. There is no reason to rush him, I think if he will need to stay for the second year, he will.

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
It will never end up like this but the bottom line is that we have:

Zegras
Terry
Steel
Comtois
Lundestrom all with legit top 6 potential

I`d argue that Tracey as well, but he`s further away than these. In 3-4 years we could have a really dangerous forward group.

On the other hand, look what happened with our blue line. We had a potential of:

Lindholm-Manson
Fowler-Vatanen
Theodore-Montour
Pettersson

but instead have only 3 of them left. Things can hange quickly :/

But regarding Zegras, will see. He has showed willingness to play only one season in NCAA but I`m sure the situation will be looked at again at the end of the season. There is no reason to rush him, I think if he will need to stay for the second year, he will.
Would you say Comtois is the best natural scorer out of all your prospects? Who do you think would fit best as the yin to Zegras' yang?

Reactions: Getz2noone

Goose of Reason

El Zilcho
May 1, 2013
Will ur username change to Zeg2Comtois when it happens ? I wonder who will be the 3rd wheel of their line, Kase ?

If Zegras ends up on the wing instead of at center I could see Comtois-Lundestrom-Zegras being an awesome line. But that's also very optimistic at this point.

member 88115

Comtois zegras would prob be the best combo/fit stylistically.
Kings fan coming in peace. Got to see Zegras in the U20 Summer Showcase and he looks really good. I would put the best shooter on his line (not sure who that is in Anahiem). He has NHL passing skill already, but what I liked is how much battled & hustle behind net to get the puck. Most good passers are known to be soft, but Zegras goes tooth and nail. Obviously he is no Lucic/Lindros, but opposing dmen are not going to punk him. Im not sure why he was put on the wing in the Sweeden because he looked more dominant as a Center. Anyhow wishing him and your team well fortune. Cheers

TopShelfWaterBottle

Registered
Mar 16, 2014
Guessing he’s a Point per game as a freshman In college next season

Good but not enough to warrant skipping another year of NCAA to go pro

Hope I’m wrong

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia

Hope I’m wrong
How does Zegras compare to Kyle Connor? Kyle Connor at eliteprospects.com
Connor had a successful year pre-draft on what I assume was not-as-stacked USHL team as Zegras had. Connor followed it up with almost 2ppg NCAA campaign and went pro.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Kings fan coming in peace. Got to see Zegras in the U20 Summer Showcase and he looks really good. I would put the best shooter on his line (not sure who that is in Anahiem). He has NHL passing skill already, but what I liked is how much battled & hustle behind net to get the puck. Most good passers are known to be soft, but Zegras goes tooth and nail. Obviously he is no Lucic/Lindros, but opposing dmen are not going to punk him. Im not sure why he was put on the wing in the Sweeden because he looked more dominant as a Center. Anyhow wishing him and your team well fortune. Cheers
I think comtois is kinda like a benn player stylistically... should fit with zegras well.

Rw... terry can shoot but i see him more of a play maker.... imo kase makea most sense.

Reactions: kingsofLA

ToucanSafari

Jul 11, 2017

Hope I’m wrong

Well he's going to BU. Looking at BU players the last few years, there is Farabee who went one and done and posted 36 points in 37 games and is going pro this season. There was also Brady Tkachuk who was drafted after posting 31 in 40 and entered straight into the NHL. Both of which seem like they are going to be great pros and both posted less than a point per game pace. Obviously they play a different style, and more production would be nice but I wouldn't be too concerned if Zegras puts up something comparable. It's a quality program.

I'm not sure if the quality of hockey east is just stronger on the whole than the Big 10 or if Kyle Connor was just that much better of a college hockey player than Farabee and Tkachuk or if he was older or got crazy ice time. But expecting Connor numbers will most likely leave you unnecessarily disappointed. As anything around farabees production should be expected and anything more than that should be gravy.

Zegras and Farabee were actually playing together at the summer showcase today and both looked solid. Farabee in particular has looked amazing all showcase long.

Reactions: Kalv and Dmang714

tealhockey

@overtheboards
Jun 2, 2012
www.tealhockey.net
Well he's going to BU. Looking at BU players the last few years, there is Farabee who went one and done and posted 36 points in 37 games and is going pro this season. There was also Brady Tkachuk who was drafted after posting 31 in 40 and entered straight into the NHL. Both of which seem like they are going to be great pros and both posted less than a point per game pace. Obviously they play a different style, and more production would be nice but I wouldn't be too concerned if Zegras puts up something comparable. It's a quality program.

I'm not sure if the quality of hockey east is just stronger on the whole than the Big 10 or if Kyle Connor was just that much better of a college hockey player than Farabee and Tkachuk or if he was older or got crazy ice time. But expecting Connor numbers will most likely leave you unnecessarily disappointed. As anything around farabees production should be expected and anything more than that should be gravy.

Zegras and Farabee were actually playing together at the summer showcase today and both looked solid. Farabee in particular has looked amazing all showcase long.

He'll probably play with Patrick Harper, who will probably be one of the top scorers in the NCAA if he does. Whoever else is on that line will be the beneficiary of a lot (Pronman said he expects to play with Pat Curry too, who can be the big body to balance it out). For what it's worth Kyle Connor is/was an animal and that team had some serious players that year. I think the Big Ten is decidedly better than Hockey East both this year and last, it has less teams, the teams they do have are all fairly if not extremely competitive within college hockey. There are no nights off and I think the eye test is better than going off stats. Farabee had a sick season on a team that didn't tear it up offensively the way Connors did. Zegras' super high-end playmaking means he should be able to 'make' his teammates into big time producers.

Reactions: Kalv

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto

Probably should look at Clayton Keller who got 45 in 31 at BU in 2016/17 and maybe split the difference with Farabee for expectations. Not saying Zegras will end up better than Brady in the NHL, but Zegras is more naturally talented offensively and will be put in a better position to succeed. Brady was used a lot as a guy along the half-wall because he and Greenway both liked playing in front of the net, so one had to be moved out of position on the PP. Not even worth discussing, but Eichel also was a one and done there, although the likelihood of Zegras approaching those numbers is minimal.

He'll probably play with Patrick Harper, who will probably be one of the top scorers in the NCAA if he does. Whoever else is on that line will be the beneficiary of a lot (Pronman said he expects to play with Pat Curry too, who can be the big body to balance it out). For what it's worth Kyle Connor is/was an animal and that team had some serious players that year. I think the Big Ten is decidedly better than Hockey East both this year and last, it has less teams, the teams they do have are all fairly if not extremely competitive within college hockey. There are no nights off and I think the eye test is better than going off stats. Farabee had a sick season on a team that didn't tear it up offensively the way Connors did. Zegras' super high-end playmaking means he should be able to 'make' his teammates into big time producers.
The Big 10 was very down in Connor's year. Teams like Wisconsin was in a downturn and Minnesota was bad in non-conference, while OSU and PSU were still trying to establish good programs. Big 10 only got one Frozen 4 bid that year, and they only had 1 ranked team. The NCHC and Hockey-East were notably better that year.

Reactions: Getz2noone and Kalv

tealhockey

@overtheboards
Jun 2, 2012
www.tealhockey.net
The Big 10 was very down in Connor's year. Teams like Wisconsin was in a downturn and Minnesota was bad in non-conference, while OSU and PSU were still trying to establish good programs. Big 10 only got one Frozen 4 bid that year, and they only had 1 ranked team. The NCHC and Hockey-East were notably better that year.

I mentioned where I think the Big Ten was last year, as well as how things are shaping up this year. Michigan were good in a weak B1G that year but they were also very stacked, just look at who was on that team..

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I mentioned where I think the Big Ten was last year, as well as how things are shaping up this year. Michigan were good in a weak B1G that year but they were also very stacked, just look at who was on that team..
Oh, I know they were stacked. Compher is now a legit NHLer who was a 2nd rounder in his junior year, and Motte was a another good player in his junior year who currently plays at a fringe NHL level. Obviously on the PP and the back-end there is Werenski, who looks to be a solid top pairing D right now (going through the usual ups and downs of a defender between 18-24), was a young sophomore and was a top 10 pick.

Zegras is in a decent position to put up a year comparable to Clayton Keller if he lives up to his potential. He's more comparable to Keller than Tkachuk and Farabee (both guys I held in high regard), Zegras has displayed a higher offensive level than either Tkachuk and Farabee, but also does not have their intangibles and shift to shift effort (not many people do), but Zegras has the better offensive tools in regards to vision, skating and hands.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad