C Thomas Bordeleau - Barracuda, AHL(2020, 38th, SJS)

CaptainShark

Sep 25, 2004
Fulda, Germany
Interesting thanks for the update. And with who was he playing beforehand?

Does it mean the Sharks are more likely to develop Bordeleau into a centre than Eklund?
There wasn’t a lot of consistency in his linemates, but he centered Viel and Coe the two games before, Viel and Reedy the game before that and was listed as the Wing on a line with Robins and Coe and with Suess and Robins the game before that (had to check the Barracuda Twitter because of all the changes).

Aug 25, 2009
éal
There wasn’t a lot of consistency in his linemates, but he centered Viel and Coe the two games before, Viel and Reedy the game before that and was listed as the Wing on a line with Robins and Coe and with Suess and Robins the game before that (had to check the Barracuda Twitter because of all the changes).
Interesting

I remember reading that Bordeleau was strong on faceoff, but the AHL does not seem to hold those statistics (or penalty killing time, for that matter). Would you say he's generally good on the dot?

Also which forward you think has more chance to make it in the NHL as a full-time centre; Eklund, Robins or Bordeleau?

Thanks you

Reactions: Sandisfan

Kcoyote3

Half-wall Hockey - link below!
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2012
www.half-wallhockey.com
Interesting

I remember reading that Bordeleau was strong on faceoff, but the AHL does not seem to hold those statistics (or penalty killing time, for that matter). Would you say he's generally good on the dot?

Also which forward you think has more chance to make it in the NHL as a full-time centre; Eklund, Robins or Bordeleau?

Thanks you
Bordeleau would be the most likely. He's stuck there since college and through the AHL. He is good on the dot, although I as well don't have the stats to back that up. Robins played center in juniors but has been wing mostly in the AHL. They're similar players but Bordeleau has more playmaking talent that I think center would serve him better.

I don't think Eklund is a center in the NHL. He doesn't do his best work in the center of the ice, and is effective carrying up the wings and has some smart retrieval techniques that I think would be wasted if he's trying to take on the defensive responsibilities of a center. He also does most of his playmaking off the wings or behind the net.

Aug 25, 2009
éal
Three points last night and now up to 8 points in 7 games since being sent down to the AHL.

He doesnt get much recognition, but the 21 year old produce at every level

52 points in 74 career AHL games
9 points in 22 career NHL games
8 points in 5 WJC games

I think he will become a 2nd line centreman, who can help a PP and in the shootout

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
Maybe like the Thrun situation where they wanted to get him away from all the losing?
Would like to hear from sharks fans what are the issues preventing him from sticking. I remember they did try to keep him up

Reactions: Eegs

Tkachuk4MVP

32 Years of Fail
Apr 15, 2006
San Diego, CA
Would like to hear from sharks fans what are the issues preventing him from sticking. I remember they did try to keep him up

Most of what us fans say will be speculation since the team never gives straight answers to these types of questions. My opinion, I didn’t think he looked great in the games he played with the Sharks. Had moments, but nothing consistent and didn’t look like he’d taken the next step to becoming a regular NHLer. Lots of sloppy mistakes and not enough sustained good play to make up for them. That said, the roster and coaching are terrible, so it’s not as if Bordeleau is being put into a good position to succeed.

Thrun is a bigger mystery for me. He looked NHL-ready and there’s certainly space for him, since that D group is one of the worst I’ve ever seen.

one2gamble

Dec 24, 2007
His two way game isnt great and he hasn't been good/consistent enough to stick in the top 6.

The bottom six is bad and he's not good enough to lift them up. I think hes an NHL player but he's kind of in a bad situation with the current roster. I'd almost rather have bords and gush up but I get what they are doing. The sharks want them to score and own the ahl before they come up.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
His two way game isnt great and he hasn't been good/consistent enough to stick in the top 6.

The bottom six is bad and he's not good enough to lift them up. I think hes an NHL player but he's kind of in a bad situation with the current roster. I'd almost rather have bords and gush up but I get what they are doing. The sharks want them to score and own the ahl before they come up.
Why does Eklund stay then? I don't watch that many Sharks games, but it would seem to me like he's in the same situation.

Kcoyote3

Half-wall Hockey - link below!
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2012
www.half-wallhockey.com
Why does Eklund stay then? I don't watch that many Sharks games, but it would seem to me like he's in the same situation.
Eklund's a way more consistent defensive player who also has a higher ceiling offensively, makes creative plays and limits his shitty turnovers. Bordeleau right now does none of that when in the NHL. Lots of time left for him to crack the lineup in the next few years while the Sharks are bad though. He has looked pretty good the last few games in the AHL though.

Last edited:

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
He's like embarassingly bad in board battles right now. Last year he didn't really put in the effort to get the puck for himself but he's now putting in the effort this year. The issue is that he doesn't really have the technique down to win puck battles at the NHL level without looking like he's flailing. He's also pretty prone to making bad turnovers.

So needs to work on his defensive technique and puck management before he's a bonafide NHLer.

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
He's also a weird situation where he's only good when put a) at centre and b) on a scoring line (aka top 6).

He's not good enough to be a top-6 centre in the NHL right now, and since he's ineffective in the bottom-6, it makes the most sense to keep him in the AHL to work on his other stuff while continuing to create offense/stay confident.

Hopefully he can still become an effective middle-6 C down the road. Celebrini-Smith-Bordeleau as our 3 young centres would be pretty good.

Reactions: DatsyukToZetterberg

Tkachuk4MVP

32 Years of Fail
Apr 15, 2006
San Diego, CA
Like Thrun, he is waiver-exempt and there are only 23 roster spots. Not sure why people are reading any more than that.

Well, I know why. But it is lame.

What defenseman is this team afraid of losing to a waiver claim? Ferraro, Okhotiuk, and…? Simek was put on waivers after Thrun got sent down, and then the team traded for Addison who’s (predictably) done nothing. There’s certainly room for him in this D group.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad