C Théo Rochette - Quebec Remparts, QMJHL (Undrafted)

Butch26

Dec 12, 2016
Qc
I coach him 2 years ago. I was loving this kid. He was seing himself as a playmaker but his shooting release was elite when he was 17 year old.. I think if he had to model his offensive game from Auston Matthews

I don't know if he's a legit prospect for the NHL but he had offensive tools certainly

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
It's kind of ironic that he is 2nd in scoring in the Q and the guy who is 3rd is also another undrafted "top prospect" in Xavier Parent and the leading scorer also has concerns if he can be a player on the next level in Joshua Roy.

Andy Lehoux

Jan 2, 2018

"Rochette is a skilled playmaking center who highlighted an enthusiasm to create for others as well as a slick passing touch. He showcased some excellent skating abilities in transition, using smooth crossovers to gain momentum and showing off a superb top speed. He took smart routes as an outlet, and exposed an impressive agility to find lanes to the offensive end. Rochette wasn’t super flashy or dynamic offensively, but he unveiled a complete, versatile arsenal. The double overager was positionally sounded, stayed aware of his surroundings and kept the puck-movement dynamic. Rochette even flashed his high-end vision on the PP, where he could find and set up allies with precise, no-look feeds. He was mostly present defensively, but rarely needed to intervene. Rochette possesses an all-around, reliable offensive skillset, and although he adapts and merges with the offence extremely well, he simply isn’t driving plays as it seems he could. For those reasons, I would think of him more as a camp invite candidate. I would also expect him to translate to the semi-pro level quite well due to his polish abilities."

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
No contract for this dude? Headed to the Swiss Leagues from what I can see.
Saw he was high on Wheeler's early 2020 draft rankings before going completely undrafted.
He didn't have a terrible draft year - 39 points in 49 games between two QMJHL teams would usually warrant a late-round pick.
He followed it up with a slightly improved near-ppg D+1 season (30 points in 32 games and 6 points in 6 playoff games)
Now he's captain of his team and just got 99 points in 66 games in his 19-20 year old season. At 5'10 he's a bit undersized but not worse off than a lot of other prospects?
For the amount of patience clubs are willing to have for NCAA players who only show signs of putting it together at age 23-24, why are teams sleeping on productive younger players who clearly had some pedigree from the start?
Meanwhile as a Canucks fan I am supposed to look forward to a breakout season by... Carson Focht who showed less in junior and absolutely nothing as a pro?
A guy like Rochette at least give a team's other prospects someone to play with.

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007
He was at the Flyers development camp a few weeks ago and he'll be at their rookie camp in September.

It's still not confirmed he'll play in the Swiss League next season. He has a contract with Lausanne but he could still play in the AHL or the QMJHL despite the contract.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Rochette is lighting up the Swiss league as a pro rookie (15 points in 24 games) and is surely going to get an NHL contract and a ticket back to NA soon.

No other player born 2000 or later has more than 10 points, and Rochette is a 2002.
It's pretty weird that he didn't get drafted then went to the Flyers camp and is now in Switzerland.

Maybe he is a guy people think might be an NHL player but isn't?

Reactions: King Makar19

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
It's pretty weird that he didn't get drafted then went to the Flyers camp and is now in Switzerland.

Maybe he is a guy people think might be an NHL player but isn't?

I mean, smallish slowish Q scorer. There are lots of these guys who put up 100 points in that league and then go nowhere. And he's from Switzerland so that's his home league.

But now he's putting up one of the biggest U23 seasons of any undrafted player (or drafted player, really) in Europe. He's surely going to get another crack in NA if he wants it.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
I mean, smallish slowish Q scorer. There are lots of these guys who put up 100 points in that league and then go nowhere. And he's from Switzerland so that's his home league.

But now he's putting up one of the biggest U23 seasons of any undrafted player (or drafted player, really) in Europe. He's surely going to get another crack in NA if he wants it.
His skating isn't bad and he has a decent 200 foot game as well but he is small and not dynamic so maybe that's the problem?

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
His skating isn't bad and he has a decent 200 foot game as well but he is small and not dynamic so maybe that's the problem?

Yeah, I dunno why he didn't get a big look before as I'm not a big Q guy. He's also a COVID cracks guy as 2020 and 2021 were his draft and draft+1.

Regardless, the Swiss league is probably the 2nd best league in Europe right now and might be the 3rd best league in the world (the roster on a team like Zurich is legitimately good, would be a top KHL team) and I know enough to know that any player who walks straight out of the CHL to be putting up numbers in that league is a legit prospect worthy of a pro contract.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad