C Théo Rochette - Quebec Remparts, QMJHL (Undrafted)

Speyer

Sep 23, 2016
Im Wald
Only two helpers in 8 games with the Remparts. Does some know what happened to him? Is he still suffering from the longterm effects of the mono or is he just simply very underwhelming?

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007
Only two helpers in 8 games with the Remparts. Does some know what happened to him? Is he still suffering from the longterm effects of the mono or is he just simply very underwhelming?

It might be a mix of the effects of the mono and pressure to perform in his draft year. Although he had a really good game yesterday. Let’s see if he can build on that.

Reactions: Speyer

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007
After a tough first half, probably because of the effects of mono, Rochette has been getting hot since mid-January. 9 goals and 9 assists in this last 15 games. He scored tonight his first hat trick in the QMJHL on his 18th birthday.

I guess he might have a good chance to make the Canadian team at the U18? Quebec won't make it past the 1st round.

Last edited:

PuckProspects

Jul 23, 2018

Had a tough season overall. Didn't showcase much NHL skill in the few games I watched of him probably will get drafted 5th round or later.

Kuracmugger

Oct 15, 2019
He is so dumb he will have no chance to play for canadas a team i think he won’t even play for canada at the u20 worlds. Hope the swiss will let him play if he wants.

Reactions: JabbaJabba

IHaveNoCreativity

May 5, 2012
Somewhere in Quebec.
He is so dumb he will have no chance to play for canadas a team i think he won’t even play for canada at the u20 worlds. Hope the swiss will let him play if he wants.
Please don’t refer to 18 year olds as dumb anonymously on the internet.

He is absolutely good enough to play for Canada, he represented them at U18’s this summer and would have played again now for them. He has first round talent but was sick, at a point he was up there with Lapierre last year in Chicoutimi, the gap wasn’t that big.

He will definitely be in the mix for the U20’s by November. I imagine he plays at 19, he is that good.

Kuracmugger

Oct 15, 2019
Please don’t refer to 18 year olds as dumb anonymously on the internet.

He is absolutely good enough to play for Canada, he represented them at U18’s this summer and would have played again now for them. He has first round talent but was sick, at a point he was up there with Lapierre last year in Chicoutimi, the gap wasn’t that big.

He will definitely be in the mix for the U20’s by November. I imagine he plays at 19, he is that good.
I don’t think so because he had a bad season and won’t be drafted in the first round and i don’t think even second. Somebody in this thread even said 5th round or something like that. As non first or second rounder you don’t have good odds in a team canada u20 team. But i am no team canada expert it’s just what i belive.
I think he should reprenst switzerland because there he can be a star in canada he‘s just one of many who are as good as him.

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
I don’t think so because he had a bad season and won’t be drafted in the first round and i don’t think even second. Somebody in this thread even said 5th round or something like that. As non first or second rounder you don’t have good odds in a team canada u20 team. But i am no team canada expert it’s just what i belive.
I think he should reprenst switzerland because there he can be a star in canada he‘s just one of many who are as good as him.
I can understand your thought process here. A player born and trained in Switzerland and now wants to play for Canada...I don't disagree that he will be a small fish in a big pond vs a big fish in a small pond.

It is such an individual decision though... You can't make a player feel any differently than they feel. Whether you agree or not. I still shake my head at Jon Deguzman choosing Netherlands over Canada...they had him play a bit part in a tourney and then he never really played again... Could have been a difference maker for Canada at the time.

Kuracmugger

Oct 15, 2019
I can understand your thought process here. A player born and trained in Switzerland and now wants to play for Canada...I don't disagree that he will be a small fish in a big pond vs a big fish in a small pond.

It is such an individual decision though... You can't make a player feel any differently than they feel. Whether you agree or not. I still shake my head at Jon Deguzman choosing Netherlands over Canada...they had him play a bit part in a tourney and then he never really played again... Could have been a difference maker for Canada at the time.
I think if he decides to play in the NLA (the clubs would definitely take him), then he maybe decides to play for us again. I think playing in the NLA would make more sense for him then playing in the q since he could prepare him self for mens hockey.

As half canadian it’s his dream to play for canada but if he realises that this dream can’t go for long term he may decides to play for Switzerland were we would be more than welcome.

IHaveNoCreativity

May 5, 2012
Somewhere in Quebec.
The round doesn’t matter and neither does making the initial camp. A players development is not over at 17, plenty of time and plenty of room for growth.

he wants to a be a big fish in a big pond, he clearly has strong ties to Canada and the Swiss. It’s a good thing that he wants to play for the best team, it means he won’t settle. Even if he doesn’t make it in the long run it says a lot about his temperament.

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
Born in Quebec, Rochette also holds Swiss citizenship and spent five seasons playing overseas. The 7th overall pick in the 2018 QMJHL Draft, Rochette made a strong return to Canada, putting up 14 goals and 43 points in 59 games as a rookie for the Chicoutimi Sagueneens. He added four goals and five points in four playoff games. This season, Rochette put up four goals and 12 assists for 16 points in 19 games before being traded to Quebec. After joining the Remparts, he scored 10 goals and 13 assists for 23 points in 30 games.

Rochette played for both Switzerland and Canada in international tournaments. As none of these tournaments are official IIHF events, he still can choose which country he will represent long term. In the 2018 Hlinka-Gretzky Cup, playing for Switzerland, he picked up two assists in four games. He played for Team Canada White at the 2018 Under-17 WHC, scoring two goals and seven points in five games. Last summer, Rochette played for Canada at the Hlinka-Gretzky. While he didn’t record any points in the tournament, he was part of the silver medal-winning team. Rochette’s father was a referee in the NLA (Swiss League) before becoming an assistant coach.

Our Scouting Report
https://lastwordonhockey.com/2020/05/28/theo-rochette-scouting-report/

filip85

Feb 7, 2017
So glad he wasn't selected. Poetic justice for taking Canada over country where he developed his hockey skills.

Hopp Suisse !!

Speyer

Sep 23, 2016
Im Wald
I already posted this in some other thread but I am really surprised no one even threw a 7th round pick at him. Sure he had a terrible season but that was partially due to mono wich he should have overcome by now. He still has undeniable skills especially in the iq, vision and passing departments wich should put him head and shoulders above the average 7th round pick.

Event tough I didnt like him switching to Hockey Canada after profiting greatly from the Swiss Hockey Federation for a number of years, I dont have any ill will against him and certainly dont wish that his hockey career will fail. However i think he made the wrong choice from a career standpoint and could have boosted his stock at last years WJC if he played for Switzerland. The question of national affiliation should be put to rest now however, since he is most likely not making team Canada for the next two WJC's. The only question now is if and when the SIHF would be willing to take him back.

Butch26

Dec 12, 2016
Qc
Great kid and great person. Had a monster wrist shot and a monster one-time. He was thinking that he was a playmaker but oh my...He have to shoot the fu**** puck. He's so intelligent with it , he understand the goaltender and use a ton of fake before shooting his puck

Long stick , great reach with his dribbles. Can pass and can skate. Don't know if he end up play in the show but I'm certain that if he change little bit of his play and use more his big force, he could end up being a very good player

Kibe

Regular User
Jan 17, 2012
Helsinki
What happened to this kid? I remember people comparing him and Rossi a lot when both played in Swiss juniors. Now one is a 1st rounder and the other still undrafted at 19. Also is he still eligible to represent Swizerland if he wants to?

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
What happened to this kid? I remember people comparing him and Rossi a lot when both played in Swiss juniors. Now one is a 1st rounder and the other still undrafted at 19. Also is he still eligible to represent Swizerland if he wants to?

He could in theory but I doubt they'd want him back. National teams are all controlled by Fischer and his followers. So if you want to play for a national team, you have to continously kiss his ass or you're done.

They ripped Denis Malgin into pieces via media when he decided not to accept a selection after his first NHL season claiming that he wouldn't be motivated to play for Switzerland. I don't think Malgin played a single game for National Teams since.

They also sacked Paterlini as coach of the under 20 team despite all the success he had with national teams just because he wasn't willing to act as coaching dummy for Fischer.

I don't think there's a way back for Rochette. Not as long as the Fischer clan is still in charge.

Speyer

Sep 23, 2016
Im Wald
He is entering his last year of WJC elegibilty and I am wondering if the Swiss federation is going to try to get him on their squad. There is no way he will ever be good enough to play for any version for Team Canada at this point so it would be in his best interest to report if he wants to get drafted as an overager. I am not sure if another nation change is even possible from a legal standpoint though. It could also be bad for the team spirit though since he would take away a roster spot for a probably more motivated and less opportunistic player. With the pathetic display of the Swiss team last WJC they need all the help the can get however and he is still on of the best 02 born forwards with a Swiss passport.

Reactions: JabbaJabba

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad