C Théo Rochette - Quebec Remparts, QMJHL (Undrafted)

bukwas

Stanley Cup 2022
Sep 27, 2017
Rochette was asked a few questions by his former team HC Lausanne. Here's an out-take:

L’équipe de Suisse U18
?
« J’espère que l’on va obtenir de bons résultats durant cette Coupe du monde à Edmonton. D’un point de vue personnel, j’espère avoir un rôle assez important à jouer au sein de l’équipe. L’objectif est de réussir à bien progresser, et d’obtenir de bons résultats.
J’ai encore le choix entre la sélection canadienne ou suisse pour le futur. J’avais la possibilité d’aller au camp d’entraînement du Team Canada cet été ou de l’équipe suisse, mais je pense qu’il n’y a pas vraiment de question à se poser. J’ai commencé avec la Suisse, je suis suisse, je suis né ici, donc je pense que je vais rester ici. Je vais très probablement jouer pour la Suisse. »

A summary about the bolded part in english:
he's got the options to go to U-18 summer camps of both Canada or Switzerland. He hasn't made a final decision yet but is leaning more towards Switzerland as he was born and started his development over here. He feels being swiss.

Im slightly less concerned now, but considering this interview was made in Switzerland, it might would sound a bit different when made in Canada. If true though, we will see him at the Hlinka memorial this year.

Here's the full interview (in french):
Théo Rochette: "Je vais très probablement jouer pour la Suisse" - Lausanne Hockey Club
Hlinka-Gretzky Cup this year.
An unnecessary change IMO.

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
CAN Roster

He was named for the Canadian U17 roster for World U17 Challenge. Does this mean he will represent Canada and not Switzerland in the future?
I believe it may, and that is incredible news given that he has played for Switzerland in the past and all signs pointed to him pursuing that path. Although EP has him as Swiss/Canadian nationality, I’m not exactly sure how or why he can play for us, given that this is his first season playing hockey here.

Edit: I see that HC has him as having been born in Quebec, which is odd considering that EP has him as having been born in Switzerland.

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
CAN Roster

He was named for the Canadian U17 roster for World U17 Challenge. Does this mean he will represent Canada and not Switzerland in the future?

He's an interesting case. Playing for Canada at the WU17 won't hurt his chances of playing for Switzerland in the future. The U18 WC is the real dealbreaker, that's when he has to make his decision (he could later switch but that would be complicated). Technically he won't be able to play for Canada at the U18 WC next year because he hasn't played 2 full years of organized hockey in Canada (as far as I'm aware). The IIHF do however make exceptions, see William Nylander.

Reactions: FinPanda

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
He's an interesting case. Playing for Canada at the WU17 won't hurt his chances of playing for Switzerland in the future. The U18 WC is the real dealbreaker, that's when he has to make his decision (he could later switch but that would be complicated). Technically he won't be able to play for Canada at the U18 WC next year because he hasn't played 2 full years of organized hockey in Canada (as far as I'm aware). The IIHF do however make exceptions, see William Nylander.
You seem more familiar with his situation. Do you think it likely that he would hold on to play for Canada internationally? I do think he’s a top-flight prospect who would have a good chance to crack our WJC roster in his D+1 season, and he may be wanting that increased likelihood of winning, but ours is a difficult men’s roster to crack. And this is assuming that he has no great patriotic feelings for Switzerland.

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
You seem more familiar with his situation. Do you think it likely that he would hold on to play for Canada internationally? I do think he’s a top-flight prospect who would have a good chance to crack our WJC roster in his D+1 season, and he may be wanting that increased likelihood of winning, but ours is a difficult men’s roster to crack. And this is assuming that he has no great patriotic feelings for Switzerland.

I don't know much about him at all actually, I was just referring to the IIHF rules. The country he suits up for at the U18 WC will "own his rights" so to speak. I'm guessing the Swiss will invite him this spring so we will get the answer after that.

swissexpert

Sep 21, 2009
Doubt he's good enough to ever represent Canada in a best-on-best tourney so there's hope he sees that selection just as a fun experience.

Speyer

Sep 23, 2016
Im Wald
I would be lying if I said that I wasn‘t a little bit bitter about this choice if it turns out to be final. Rochette will never be good enough for a Canadian Olympics or WCoH roster and isn‘t even a game changer for their world junior team. For a country like Switzerland however he could be a key controbutor who allows the country to reach the semi finals at the WJC once again or win a medal at the World Championships. So now he has occupied a spot on the swiss junior national teams for years that should have been awarded to another player. I dont blame the kid though. Everybody who has seen or read an interview with his dad once, knows who instigated the country change...

duga

Jan 28, 2010
Zuerich
I wouldn't read too much into the hockeycanada article. He gotta please both sides with words, until he makes his final decision.

When the Swiss lure him with a spot for the u20s in 2 months, which they are pretty much forced to do now, and he declines...then we'll probably have our Hockey-Rakitic.

That said, I wonder if the SIHF tried to get him on the u-18 team last year and he declined, or if they just weren't aware what were the risks.

JiggsNY

Sep 14, 2016
New York
eh, thats a bit disappointing, Switzerland has been gaining so much momentum over the past several years, he could have continued that

who knows maybe Switzerland can make an aggressive offer to get him for the U20, like duga said

Last edited:

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada
A U20 offer could make him stay, I think it would be nice for Swiss hockey. He's looking quite nice. Right at 14 on my recent list.

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada
Rochette has scored four goals in the first two playoff games with Chicoutimi against Rimouski. Unfortunately the team has lost both games. He’s been very good.

Nexon

Apr 18, 2019
Is there any progress in his case? Assuming he didn’t play in u20 this year, he is really trying to play for Canada right?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad