GDT: c @ sl

Status
Not open for further replies.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
I was thinking Cole was having his best game as a Blue, and then the third period happened. If he doesn't solidify his spot when Gunnarson plays, I think a guy like Lindbohm will pass him on the depth chart.

I really don't mind the penalties to Ott or Jackman (the Ott one was pretty ridiculous and could be the poster child for embellishment). Against a team like Chicago, I'll take a couple PKs to set a physical tone and not out up with their crap.

Vincenzo Arelliti

He Can't Play Center
Oct 13, 2014
Lisle, IL
I was thinking Cole was having his best game as a Blue, and then the third period happened. If he doesn't solidify his spot when Gunnarson plays, I think a guy like Lindbohm will pass him on the depth chart.

I really don't mind the penalties to Ott or Jackman (the Ott one was pretty ridiculous and could be the poster child for embellishment). Against a team like Chicago, I'll take a couple PKs to set a physical tone and not out up with their crap.

Honestly, if an early 5-3 is what it takes to light THAT kind of fire underneath our players, I would want to start every big game down a goal in the first minute. Hopefully we won't need that in games against the hawks from now on, but it was obviously the catalyst that took us from "down with the flu" to playoff intensity. Bergland in particular was in total beast mode - he actually used his body multiple times along the boards and delivered massive hits.

I could do without the Jackman gooning it up, but it did seem to be effective.

The only players that didn't really get it going were Oshie and Tarasenko (mostly due to splitting him from Schwartz and Chicago's defense targeting him).

If we can play this way against the West and take a break against the East, I think we could win the division AND still have legs come playoff time.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
I liked Oshies physical play. I also liked the move with Schwartz on the Backes line. If the Swedish line can be that effective (and Lehtera plays like that with Tarasenko) I see a lot of good nights ahead.

It used to be that whatever line you put Steen on would start playing better. But Schwartz is that guy now.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
So wait...Jackman gets a pass for his continued stupid play, which in this case lead to a 5 on 3 goal but Cole who was playing well doesn't get pass for his brain fart? Mind you no one may have warned him Versteeg was there, and the Blues forward back checking let up also. It was very misplayed.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
Cole made a mistake on that play. The rest of the period he looked like he was still thinking about it, and followed with multiple others.

Jackman's penalty hurt, and that is usually not called on the PK, or they would both go off. I'm willing to accept a penalty if that's what it takes to set a tone. The 5 on 3 is painful, though. My point was that I want that physical tone he set. I also wish there was a mechanism to fine a player for embellishment after the game, even if it was missed on the ice. Ott's penalty was just bad reffing. Maybe send them both if you have to.

I wish there were a video of just all the hits from the game. I think fans would start to appreciate some of the whipping boy players differently.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
I don't know if we can say that 5 on 3 set the tone since it was in the first minute of the game. They kept on about how you have to get up for the Chicago game. The stantion deflection is what initiated the PK. I have no problem with someone smashing Shaws face into the Ice, just wasn't the best time to do it.

I can agree with cole, he became very indecisive after that play. But it's the other defenseman and the coaching staff to reassure him to forget it and move on.

To be clear, I'm viewing both Jackman and Cole as a weak link. I don't want both gone or either one to be honest. I'd like to see us find a 3rd pairing RD and have Cole and Jackman rotating.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
I'm not specifying that one play as far as Jackman's physical play. I just feel like the team needs a bit more of that edge and I value what he brought to the game. The 5 on 3 was not a positive, it was just one more obstacle. Over the course of the game, I liked how he played. Ott and Lapierre had some nice moments, too. Too bad Carcillo got hurt, but Oshies hip check was a beauty.

When the Blues are at their best, the have a nice blend of skill spiced with pain.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
630307f065ad008d049a07d14867d622.jpeg

This deserves more love.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
I'm not specifying that one play as far as Jackman's physical play. I just feel like the team needs a bit more of that edge and I value what he brought to the game. The 5 on 3 was not a positive, it was just one more obstacle. Over the course of the game, I liked how he played. Ott and Lapierre had some nice moments, too. Too bad Carcillo got hurt, but Oshies hip check was a beauty.

When the Blues are at their best, the have a nice blend of skill spiced with pain.
I guess as the game went on, I didn't notice Jackman which is usually a good thing. Jackman is our goony dman though and we need that. With Cole's gafs, and Jackman's bone head plays, I see our 3rd pairing being a big fail before we've seen it.

Fred Murtz

Jan 20, 2009
I give you the Chicago Assassin. Dimitri Jaskin post game interview.

Last edited:

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
He had no part of his contract anymore, he was no longer our property. It expired last year. He signed as a UFA.

I'm not sure, but don't think that's correct. I think Lehtera would have become an NHL UFA at the same time his 2y KHL deal expired. So, the Blues would have had no more chance to offer him a contract while still their draft property.

But since Lehtera bought out that KHL contract, he could be offered an NHL deal. However, I don't think any other NHL team could have signed him at that point, since the Blues held his rights for another year.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
I'm not sure, but don't think that's correct. I think Lehtera would have become an NHL UFA at the same time his 2y KHL deal expired. So, the Blues would have had no more chance to offer him a contract while still their draft property.

But since Lehtera bought out that KHL contract, he could be offered an NHL deal. However, I don't think any other NHL team could have signed him at that point, since the Blues held his rights for another year.
Correct, if we didn't snag him this year, he would have been an UFA. Everybody wrote him off last year because he signed with the KHL and by the time that deal expired, the Blues no longer controlled his NHL rights.

Last edited:

Stopsight

Oct 9, 2013
Hawaii
Tarasenko was a man on a mission in the defensive zone, I think it was probably the best game I've seen from him in that regard.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Lehtera would have become a UFA in the summer of 2015. He signed his KHL deal to take him to UFA status, but since he realized his mistake, he bought out his contract with the help of the signing bonus from the Blues.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
Lehtera would have become a UFA in the summer of 2015. He signed his KHL deal to take him to UFA status, but since he realized his mistake, he bought out his contract with the help of the signing bonus from the Blues.

The distinction being: he was not an UFA with respect to the NHL.

Either way, I'm thrilled the Blues got him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad