C Shane Wright - Kingston Frontenacs, OHL (2022, 4th, SEA) Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeProspector

AINEC
Feb 14, 2017
At the 2021 draft, I believe Jeff Gorton said something along the lines of “I don’t want to draft a kid that has had a beard since he was 15”. Alluding to the fact he didn’t like drafting kids that are more physically mature than their peers and relyed on that to put up numbers.

He is now with the Canadiens and is poised to draft a kid at #1 who has had the ability to grow a beard since he was 15. Just funny really.

SlafySZN

May 21, 2022
At the 2021 draft, I believe Jeff Gorton said something along the lines of “I don’t want to draft a kid that has had a beard since he was 15”. Alluding to the fact he didn’t like drafting kids that are more physically mature than their peers and relyed on that to put up numbers.

He is now with the Canadiens and is poised to draft a kid at #1 who has had the ability to grow a beard since he was 15. Just funny really.
Haha yes

he said ''the thing that's interesting with the Hughes brothers is that they all look 15 it tells me there's room for a lot of growth, as a GM you don't want guy with a full beard showing up at your table''

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Let's get everyone's projections for Shane Wright in this thread. We can do projection for next year, and projection for his career if you like. I'll go first:

I think he'll play in the NHL next year and put up around 50 points. He'll end up being a PPG+ center in his prime years.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Let's get everyone's projections for Shane Wright in this thread. We can do projection for next year, and projection for his career if you like. I'll go first:

I think he'll play in the NHL next year and put up around 50 points. He'll end up being a PPG+ center in his prime years.

30ish points in the NHL next year.. top years are 70ish points.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
It’s a bit of a dumb quote - guys like Matthews, MacKinnon, Ovechkin, Eichel, Ekblad and Hedman were very physically mature on draft day, but still excellent top 2 picks.

The difference with all save mack is that the rest had showed their ability to play and excel against much older people. Eichel played college and the rest played against 30 year old men

tmlmatus

Dec 29, 2013
Toronto

His absolute ceiling is Tavares; but I think he will become a very good two way 50-70 point center over his career.

He'll play most of his season in the OHL next season

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
Think he'll start slow and finish with ~40 points in the NHL next season depending on icetime. His career IMO will be a 60-70 point C that will get some Selke votes but never actually be a finalist.

Reactions: McPhees Moustache

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Shane Wright not at the top of another list (hockey prospects). A lot of Hab fans still think this is just all for media attention lol?

Next season he will put up around 40 points. Career wise he will be like a ~70 point dude in his prime.

Reactions: McPhees Moustache

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
Shane Wright not at the top of another list (hockey prospects). A lot of Hab fans still think this is just all for media attention lol?

Next season he will put up around 40 points. Career wise he will be like a ~70 point dude in his prime.
Yep

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006

IMO bit of a weird comment. As a Habs fan, I rather have the consensus. There's a couple of lists (Pronman is the other I know, are there more?) with him 2nd.

Last time Pronman went against consensus - Laine over Matthews when Leafs picked 1st.
Wonder when is the last time HockeyProspect went against consensus/rest of the pack?

Like with all the hate Wright gets, why would it be better to pick a giant prospect who did well in small samples but not really in the pro league he's playing in. Staf is 6'4'' 229lbs, how much room does he really have to improve physically if we're going to question Wright for preforming against juniors? I don't get what the obsession is to try to make it seem like Wright shouldn't go 1st/Habs fans shouldn't want him.

Last edited:

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
IMO bit of a weird comment. As a Habs fan, I rather have the consensus. There's a couple of lists (Pronman is the other I know, are there more?) with him 2nd.

Last time Pronman went against consensus - Laine over Matthews when Leafs picked 1st.
Wonder when is the last time HockeyProspect went against consensus/rest of the pack?

Like with all the hate Wright gets, why would it be better to pick a giant prospect who did well in small samples but not really in the pro league he's playing in. Staf is 6'4'' 229lbs, how much room does he really have to improve physically if we're going to question Wright for preforming against juniors? I don't get what the obsession is to try to make it seem like Wright shouldn't go 1st/Habs fans shouldn't want him.
Its more so the narrative that hab fans are generating that it is asinine to think someone other than Wright should go first overall, and if you do think someone else should it is just purely for clicks and ratings.

Like no, the world isnt out to get you lol. Theyve been peddling this narrative since they won the lottery, and the closer it gets to the draft, Wright continues to fall out of favour with a lot of the scouting world.

I brought up my concerns about Wright back in November but apparently now I only think this way because the Habs won the lottery.

I predict when we see McKenzie's rankings, probably only 5/10 scouts will have Wright at 1.

THE HOFF

Sep 26, 2007
Haven't seen him play a lot. I still think its one of those guys you have to take. The probability of him not being a contributor within a year or two is zero. His ceiling may be lower than what some have in mind, but that's not a pick you start thinking outside the box about.

FliegerKorps

May 10, 2018
Someone's upset that I'm making points they can't refute...

Focus less on me and more on the content next time.

Not even once did i intervene regarding prospects. My choice wouldn't even be Wright.

My point still stand : There's some weird obsession. It's most likely mingled with a deep hatred for the habs and fans as well as some missplaced pride.

Technically, that's regular HFboards stuff. But even based on those standards, you went overboard ahah

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Not even once did i intervene regarding prospects. My choice wouldn't even be Wright.

My point still stand : There's some weird obsession. It's most likely mingled with a deep hatred for the habs and fans as well as some missplaced pride.

Technically, that's regular HFboards stuff. But even based on those standards, you went overboard ahah
The fact that you think my opinion on the player has anything to do with the Habs is pretty laughable.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
Its more so the narrative that hab fans are generating that it is asinine to think someone other than Wright should go first overall, and if you do think someone else should it is just purely for clicks and ratings.

Like no, the world isnt out to get you lol. Theyve been peddling this narrative since they won the lottery, and the closer it gets to the draft, Wright continues to fall out of favour with a lot of the scouting world.

I brought up my concerns about Wright back in November but apparently now I only think this way because the Habs won the lottery.

I predict when we see McKenzie's rankings, probably only 5/10 scouts will have Wright at 1.

The way you say fall out of favour makes it sound like there are a lot of rankings, but we're in late June. Who else has put someone else at #1? There's Pronman, HockeyProspect, and who else? Curious because to me seems like most people have Wright #1, just like most draft years without a guy like McDavid. Even Matthews wasn't unanimously #1 ranked in the scouting world.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think Wright is a superstar. Just believe considering the draft, he's a no brainer at #1. There's no one that's a mix of safe/upside that can dethrone him to be an actual #1 overall pick. Not to say they won't be better players, just it's not common for #1 overall picks to have as much question marks like Staf.

Last edited:
Reactions: viceroy

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
The difference with all save mack is that the rest had showed their ability to play and excel against much older people. Eichel played college and the rest played against 30 year old men
Ekblad didn’t play against 30 year old men either, he was an OHLer. True of the rest, though.

Anyways, I’m not saying Wright is as good a prospect as the above, I don’t think he is. Just saying that being physically mature isn’t some major strike against a prospect.

Reactions: viceroy
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad