C Shane Wright - Kingston Frontenacs, OHL (2022, 4th, SEA) Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

viceroy

Mar 5, 2011
Montreal suburbs
The scouts in the nhl black book think Shane Wright is overrated and some of them literally say the only reason Montreal is going to take them is because they have a first year GM and the draft is in Montreal..... They feel "pressured" to.... Damn.

Yup. Kent Hughes gives off rank amateur vibes right?

The difference with all save mack is that the rest had showed their ability to play and excel against much older people. Eichel played college and the rest played against 30 year old men

You are correct. MacK was definitely a flop. The Avs are such rubes.

Focus less on me and more on the content next time.

Why the hate on the Habs hermano? The Devils haven't been rivals to the Habs in like what? a quarter century? And don't give me the malarkey about this being an entirely intellectual exercise. That you've found faults in Wright's game that you've felt compelled to post about over and over again. Jebus, I've been annoyed by the crazy hype surrounding Slafkovsky for months now but I don't care to write literally hundreds of posts about it.

My point still stand : There's some weird obsession. It's most likely mingled with a deep hatred for the habs and fans as well as some missplaced pride.

Technically, that's regular HFboards stuff. But even based on those standards, you went overboard ahah

You are correct.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
IMO Wright puts up 25-30 points next year in the NHL and ends up as a decent 55 point per season #2 center.
I do not know if Wright will be playing in Montreal next season. He’s very young, and could do with another year of junior. But when he does arrive he’s going to be a consistent 60+ point guy, who plays all zones )with and without the puck) effectively. He kind of reminds me of the Pocket Rocket. Just a really good hockey player who helps his team win.

Reactions: jj cale

Mikeshane

Jan 15, 2013
He seems pretty balanced offensively so he should be able to play with a lot of different types of players since he can set other guys up or bury the puck himself. Watching his OHL highlights he looks a lot like MacKinnon without the explosive speed.

lomiller1

Jan 13, 2015
I do not know if Wright will be playing in Montreal next season. He’s very young, and could do with another year of junior.

He shouldn't IMO, but sending the 1OA pick back to junior is a career threating decision for an executive in a rabid hockey market. It's almost an admission of botching the pick. I think the Habs will grasp at any excuse not tp send him back.
But when he does arrive he’s going to be a consistent 60+ point guy, who plays all zones )with and without the puck) effectively. He kind of reminds me of the Pocket Rocket.

People said the same thing about Nolen Patrick. I'm not exactly convinced by arguments of "he's an all abound player", the quality if play in the CHL doesn't require a lot of defensive acumen. Usually claims of "he's an all around player" is usually just excuse making for a lack of offensive production resulting from either suspect hockey IQ or suspect puck skill.

Even if you think Wright has the ability to be a consistent 60 point player (Not impossible but you should expect less IMO) he's not going to do that unless he takes over as the #1C and I don't see that happening any time soon. 50-55 points is a fairly good result for a #2C in the NHL

Reactions: simonedvinsson

lomiller1

Jan 13, 2015
Why the hate on the Habs hermano? The Devils haven't been rivals to the Habs in like what? a quarter century? And don't give me the malarkey about this being an entirely intellectual exercise. That you've found faults in Wright's game that you've felt compelled to post about over and over again. Jebus, I've been annoyed by the crazy hype surrounding Slafkovsky for months now but I don't care to write literally hundreds of posts about it.
He's also found faults with the other top prospects including Slafkovsky. IMO his Narrative has been pretty consistent on of saying this is just a poor year for top end talent and that whoever goes 1, 2, or3 is generally going to be a weaker player than you would expect to get in those spots most other years.

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
He shouldn't IMO, but sending the 1OA pick back to junior is a career threating decision for an executive in a rabid hockey market. It's almost an admission of botching the pick. I think the Habs will grasp at any excuse not tp send him back.

People said the same thing about Nolen Patrick. I'm not exactly convinced by arguments of "he's an all abound player", the quality if play in the CHL doesn't require a lot of defensive acumen. Usually claims of "he's an all around player" is usually just excuse making for a lack of offensive production resulting from either suspect hockey IQ or suspect puck skill.

Even if you think Wright has the ability to be a consistent 60 point player (Not impossible but you should expect less IMO) he's not going to do that unless he takes over as the #1C and I don't see that happening any time soon. 50-55 points is a fairly good result for a #2C in the NHL
A bit off-topic but in my opinion, Nolan Patrick has failed so far in his NHL career because of the plethora of head injuries he has sustained in his young career.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
A bit off-topic but in my opinion, Nolan Patrick has failed so far in his NHL career because of the plethora of head injuries he has sustained in his young career.
He was struggling before the concussions but he had other injury problems. But, I don't think even without injuries he was likely to ever meet the hype around him at points during his D-1 season.

But measuring how players defensive abilities carry over tends to be much more difficult than projecting offense. One of the major reasons defenceman tend to be harder to scout. The list of guys who I've seen get comparisons to Selke winners and not come close to winning one is pretty large. For example, Draisaitl and Monahan got rave reviews for their potential defensive abilities but neither turned into a stud in that regard, granted you take Draisaitl in that situation every time given what he does offensively. The easiest thing to identify are traits that make you a clear difference-maker at the NHL level, for Wright that might be his shot if we are point to a specific trait, for Slafkovsky its his puck control/size to dictate play or for Cooley it's his speed/hands.

Last edited:

lomiller1

Jan 13, 2015
He was struggling before the concussions but he had other injury problems. But, I don't think even without injuries he was likely to ever meet the hype around him at points during his D-1 season.

But measuring how players defensive abilities carry over tends to be much more difficult than projecting offense. One of the major reasons defenceman tend to be harder to scout. The list of guys who I've seen get comparisons to Selke winners and not come close to winning on is pretty large. For example, Draisaitl and Monahan got rave reviews for their potential defensive abilities but neither turned into a stud in that regard, granted you take Draisaitl in that situation every time given what he does offensively. The easiest thing to identify are traits that make you a clear difference-maker at the NHL level, for Wright that might be his shot if we are point to a specific trait, for Slafkovsky its his puck control/size to dictate play or for Cooley it's his speed/hands.
Something else to keep in mind is that the CHL is an ideal place for skilled players to expand their offensive repertoire. They can try things and have a chance at succeeding and refining them which allows them to develop into more dynamic offensive players. If the same payer tried the same thing for the first time playing in the NHL they would almost certainly fail and have their ice time cut.

Smart motivated players can learn to play defense in any league but CHL players have a golden opportunity to develop offensively, and that's what they should be doing. This isn't just best for player development either. Players with legit high end NHL skills can dominate the CHL with their offensive skills and having them do it helps the team more than if they focus on a 2-way game

Reactions: AlexGretzchenvid

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005

My comments have literally nothing to do with him being a potential Hab, and I really don't want the devils to draft Slafkovsky.

Reactions: Colezuki

lomiller1

Jan 13, 2015
My comments have literally nothing to do with him being a potential Hab, and I really don't want the devils to draft Slafkovsky.

I bet you'd be pointing out deficiencies in Cooley's game too! Clearly you would be criticizing anyone the habs want to take 1OA! See the Hab hatred in action! It can't be the weak draft thing, because 1OA are supposed to be superstars so whoever the Habs take is going to be a superstar and only haters say otherwise!

Reactions: WhiskeyYerTheDevils

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
There is nothing to debate. Everyone is guessing at what kind of NHL player he will become. How can you debate a prediction?

My point was that Matthews, MacKinnon, Ovechkin, Eichel, Ekblad and Hedman were all better prospects in their draft year. That's not a prediction (and it's really not all that debatable).

who are you hoping for? assuming everyones available?
Cooley

the american....
It's laughable that you think it has anything to do with nationality.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
I bet you'd be pointing out deficiencies in Cooley's game too! Clearly you would be criticizing anyone the habs want to take 1OA! See the Hab hatred in action! It can't be the weak draft thing, because 1OA are supposed to be superstars so whoever the Habs take is going to be a superstar and only haters say otherwise!
What's ironic is that I actually think the Habs might take Cooley, who I have been extremely complimentary of. Hughes and Gorton are both very familiar with him, and he's the perfect fit for the type of game they want to play.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
What's ironic is that I actually think the Habs might take Cooley, who I have been extremely complimentary of. Hughes and Gorton are both very familiar with him, and he's the perfect fit for the type of game they want to play.
If the Habs take Cooley, who will the Devils take? They already have Hughes and Hiescher as their top centers.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
I'll fall off my chair if they pick him, hfboards will explode..............talk about drama here if that happens.

I really don't think Hughes and Gorton will have the balls, and it would take balls.

If the Habs take Cooley, who will the Devils take? They already have Hughes and Hiescher as their top centers.
Wouldn't it be something if they grabbed Wright?

Oh my,lol

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
I'll fall off my chair if they pick him, hfboards will explode..............talk about drama here if that happens.

I really don't think Hughes and Gorton will have the balls, and it would take balls.

Oh my,lol
Draft is in Montreal too. Imagine the reaction from the crowd if Wright isn't the Habs' pick at 1OA?

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005

Oh my,lol
Honestly I would prefer Wright over Slafkovsky (I have gone back and forth on this). But I would be bummed that we didn't get Cooley.

If Habs take Cooley I hope we trade down.

• Haha
Reactions: David Suzuki

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Draft is in Montreal too. Imagine the reaction from the crowd if Wright isn't the Habs' pick at 1OA?
It will be like an atomic bomb dropped.

I just don't see it happening, they are picking Wright.

Honestly I would prefer Wright over Slafkovsky (I have gone back and forth on this). But I would be bummed that we didn't get Cooley.

If Habs take Cooley I hope we trade down.
I think they possibly could. My first thought on this scenario is that they surely would but then I came to my senses quickly, it's possible but not probable.

Slafkovsky is a player they could really use assuming he reaches his potential.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
It will be like an atomic bomb dropped.

I just don't see it happening, they are picking Wright.

I think they possibly could. My first thought on this scenario is that they surely would but then I came to my senses quickly, it's possible but not probable.

Slafkovsky is a player they could really use assuming he reaches his potential.
I would imagine that if they aren't going to pick Wright, they will leak something a few days ahead of time to soften expectations.

Your guess is as good as mine. I hope we trade down - if Wright is available at 2 I have to think there would be a lot of teams willing to trade up to get him.

Reactions: Fatass and jj cale

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
I would imagine that if they aren't going to pick Wright, they will leak something a few days ahead of time to soften expectations.

Your guess is as good as mine. I hope we trade down - if Wright is available at 2 I have to think there would be a lot of teams willing to trade up to get him.
Yep, I would assume they would let some sort of news leak that they are seriously considering another player at the number one pick if they are going anyone other then Wright.

They would almost have to I think.

Reactions: HBK27
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad