C Shane Wright - Kingston Frontenacs, OHL (2022, 4th, SEA) Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
I would imagine that if they aren't going to pick Wright, they will leak something a few days ahead of time to soften expectations.

Your guess is as good as mine. I hope we trade down - if Wright is available at 2 I have to think there would be a lot of teams willing to trade up to get him.
If the Habs don't want Wright, but prefer Jiricek they could trade down a couple spots and collect quite a bit.

Reactions: WhiskeyYerTheDevils

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
If the Habs don't want Wright, but prefer Jiricek they could trade down a couple spots and collect quite a bit.
Yeah I think trading out of the top 4 would give any of the top 3 teams a nice return, as the top 3 seems to be pretty clear.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
And then the city might riot, 36 years since their last number one overall (which Montreal botched big time no less) and then they trade it away?

Not happening.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
And then the city might riot, 46 years since their last number one overall (which Montreal botched big time no less) and then they trade it away?

Not happening.
Of course they will draft Wright. But if they don't, I'd think it's got to be because they believe Jiricek is a top pair guy. Shea Weber replacement potential.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Of course they will draft Wright. But if they don't, I'd think it's got to be because they believe Jiricek is a top pair guy. Shea Weber replacement potential.
It would be the reason for sure, I'm not even that sold on Jiricek to be honest though.

I dunno, this draft man...............seems lukewarm to me, I don't love the top five-six.

Reactions: Fatass

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
It would be the reason for sure, I'm not even that sold on Jiricek to be honest though.

I dunno, this draft man...............seems lukewarm to me, I don't love the top five-six.
This draft in a nut shell: It really lacks high end players at the top of the draft, but after that it seems pretty solid/deep. I kinda view it similar to 2017. I'm sure some great players will emerge over the years, some being outside the top 10.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
This draft in a nut shell: It really lacks high end players at the top of the draft, but after that it seems pretty solid/deep. I kinda view it similar to 2017. I'm sure some great players will emerge over the years, some being outside the top 10.
As a Montreal fan, I am almost as excited over our 2nd pick at 26 as I am about our first overall.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
Some people are just silly. But I’m sure it comes from a place where emotion blocks logic, even though they think they fool others, or perhaps even themselves by presenting this emotionally generated opinion as logical thought.

As in any draft, anything can look completely different than it does today, and playing the long game, the #1 pick probably doesn’t end the next player more often than not, but on this side of it, for people to argue against a virtually 100% professional scouting consensus? I don’t get it. I mean, it does make you special, but not in the you think it does.

Worst part is, is that is every chance he doesn’t become the best player in this draft, and these people will be convinced it’s because they knew it. From their couch, they know know more than a virtual 100% consensus draft rank.

It’s ok, you do you. Think that you do you know something. The undeniable and inescapable truth (but I know you will try to run from it) is that for the most part, these opinions are coming from people who don’t want it to be Wright, simply because they don’t want it to be. That’s emotion. Not logic.

I know this will fail to register, and that doesn’t actually matter. But this is sad and pathetic behaviour.

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
At the 2021 draft, I believe Jeff Gorton said something along the lines of “I don’t want to draft a kid that has had a beard since he was 15”. Alluding to the fact he didn’t like drafting kids that are more physically mature than their peers and relyed on that to put up numbers.

He is now with the Canadiens and is poised to draft a kid at #1 who has had the ability to grow a beard since he was 15. Just funny really.
Maybe he was traumatized by Laf

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Some people are just silly. But I’m sure it comes from a place where emotion blocks logic, even though they think they fool others, or perhaps even themselves by presenting this emotionally generated opinion as logical thought.

As in any draft, anything can look completely different than it does today, and playing the long game, the #1 pick probably doesn’t end the next player more often than not, but on this side of it, for people to argue against a virtually 100% professional scouting consensus? I don’t get it. I mean, it does make you special, but not in the you think it does.

Worst part is, is that is every chance he doesn’t become the best player in this draft, and these people will be convinced it’s because they knew it. From their couch, they know know more than a virtual 100% consensus draft rank.

It’s ok, you do you. Think that you do you know something. The undeniable and inescapable truth (but I know you will try to run from it) is that for the most part, these opinions are coming from people who don’t want it to be Wright, simply because they don’t want it to be. That’s emotion. Not logic.

I know this will fail to register, and that doesn’t actually matter. But this is sad and pathetic behaviour.
That's one way to write off every opinion you disagree with in one foul swoop...

The "undeniable and inescapable truth" is that there are plenty of legitimate, logical reasons for why someone would question Wright as the 1st OA pick. Maybe you can't accept that because of an "emotional block" of your own....

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
That's one way to write off every opinion you disagree with in one foul swoop...

The "undeniable and inescapable truth" is that there are plenty of legitimate, logical reasons for why someone would question Wright as the 1st OA pick. Maybe you can't accept that because of an "emotional block" of your own....
That post wasn’t for you. I said in the post it will fail to register for some. And there is no way it will register for those. That’s ok. My post wasn’t for them.

My post was for everyone else. Just so everyone is aware of what’s actually going on.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014

You see that’s what I’m saying. From a national or club team standpoint, I have no reason to care, one way or the other.

Put it this way. One year, there will be an American player who will be ranked #1 overall by the overwhelming professional scouting community. Maybe he won’t be considered to have generational potential, maybe he won’t be light years ahead of #2, but the consensus is that he will be clear #1 rank.

When that happens, there will be Canadian poster here, maybe you already know him, who will make every argument to suggest the professional scouting rank is wrong.

And, he will make legitimate arguments. Because there are some. But, from this person, they won’t be coming from that legit, argument, even if it is. It will come from this Canadian not wanting that American to be the guy.

Do you understand it presented like that? Im sure others do. Now it all makes sense. I’m not sure you understand still, but the day it happens, I’m sure you will. In a way, you’ll be making the same argument about the naysayers that I am making here.

Rengorlex

Aug 25, 2021

How is there a virtual 100% professional scouting consensus? Pronman interviewed nine NHL scouts and five had Slafkowsky #1.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
How is there a virtual 100% professional scouting consensus? Pronman interviewed nine NHL scouts and five had Slafkowsky #1.

I was unaware of that. The position of my post comes from looking at something like the image below. Which is how it shown at elite prospects at the moment

036BF088-410D-4A39-A9EC-EE6220BF71A7.jpeg

Still, don’t fail to register my overarching point of why certain people are doing what they are doing. And that is a that has little to do with actual scouting but much more to do with not wanting it to be. For reasons. That all stem from an emotional and non logical place.

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
I think a lot of the issues with this topic is that people need to separate their dislike of Wright as a typical #1 pick vs the reality that Wright is probably the #1 pick in 2022.

It would be easier to reconcile moving him down a spot or two if a more typical #1 pick was available, but it's not like Cooley, Slafkovsky, Nemec or Jiricek have a stronger case. Everyone on that list would be viewed as a weak #1 and seriously questioned in that slot the same way Wright is or worse.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
My point was that Matthews, MacKinnon, Ovechkin, Eichel, Ekblad and Hedman were all better prospects in their draft year. That's not a prediction (and it's really not all that debatable).

Cooley

It's laughable that you think it has anything to do with nationality.
Its not laughable to think that you, like any human, have biases towards nationality, ethnicity, etc.

Reactions: viceroy

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
I think a lot of the issues with this topic is that people need to separate their dislike of Wright as a typical #1 pick vs the reality that Wright is probably the #1 pick in 2022.

It would be easier to reconcile moving him down a spot or two if a more typical #1 pick was available, but it's not like Cooley, Slafkovsky, Nemec or Jiricek have a stronger case. Everyone on that list would be viewed as a weak #1 and seriously questioned in that slot the same way Wright is or worse.
That's the thing, none of those guys show any reason why they should displace him at this point in time, they may turn out to be better players sure, but they all have as many question marks right now as Wright.

Unless your drafting team has seen something special in a player that most everyone is missing you take the consensus top ranked guy. I can't see either Slavkovsky or Cooley moving the needle in that way.

Only way they don't pick Wright is if they see something in Wright himself that rings a rather loud alarm buzzer.

Does Montreal see that in Wright? None of us know. Like whiskey said, if they do we will probably get a leak in the next week about how Montreal still hasn't made up their mind yet on the top pick or something along those lines.

You never know.

Reactions: AlexGretzchenvid

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin

3/9 NHL scouts also had someone other than Wright at 1 when Bob did a quick poll before the lottery. I would imagine that has changed since then with some play from other players.

For reference, the 10 scouts Bob polled last draft all had Power at 1. Before the draft this wasnt even the case for Wright, yet theres still people in here that for some reason think hes the 100% number 1 consensus and if you dont youre an idiot troll.

Asif10

Mar 16, 2022
3/9 NHL scouts also had someone other than Wright at 1 when Bob did a quick poll before the lottery. I would imagine that has changed since then with some play from other players.

For reference, the 10 scouts Bob polled last draft all had Power at 1. Before the draft this wasnt even the case for Wright, yet theres still people in here that for some reason think hes the 100% number 1 consensus and if you dont youre an idiot troll.
i mean, whether its concensus or not the big majority believes he's number 1, no one is an idiot or a troll for suggesting hes going 1st overall. You're a troll for riding on 30 %.

• Haha
Reactions: viceroy and Belial

Colezuki

Apr 27, 2009
Toronto
Yep, I would assume they would let some sort of news leak that they are seriously considering another player at the number one pick if they are going anyone other then Wright.

They would almost have to I think
This is what our board is expecting, in the week before the draft Engels will start dropping articles about a player, or "I'm hearing there leaning this way" That's when you'll know as up till now he's said he has no idea and is generally plugged in. If it's not Wright they'll definitely make sure it's known ahead of time.

With that said, the latest news from the guy on the forum who has a connection is still leaning towards Wright

Reactions: jj cale

lomiller1

Jan 13, 2015
I was unaware of that. The position of my post comes from looking at something like the image below. Which is how it shown at elite prospects at the moment

View attachment 560903

Still, don’t fail to register my overarching point of why certain people are doing what they are doing. And that is a that has little to do with actual scouting but much more to do with not wanting it to be. For reasons. That all stem from an emotional and non logical place.

That's just Wright winning a lot of split decisions mainly because he's been consider the sure fire 1OA for so long, but also because the other guys are a little underwhelming. The actual scouts are mixed probably about 50:50 at this point but the ones not saying Wright are split between Cooley and Slafkovski. At this point calling Wright a sure fire 100% consensus is simply wrong.

Reactions: Jeune Poulet

Colezuki

Apr 27, 2009
Toronto

Well he's the consensus amongst the scouting agencies, but it's likely a situation where it's a 55/45 but you still have to pick one.

no need for all the yelling going around

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad