C Shane Wright (2022, 4th, SEA) Part 4

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
A bit surprised that he isn't getting a late season run with Seattle now that the playoffs are no longer likely.

At the same time, playing a key role for the Firebirds in what is likely to be a long run in pursuit of a second Calder Trophy might be more beneficial to his long-term development.

The fact that Winterton and Morrison have just been called up ahead of him is probably pretty telling.

His motor/compete level/defensive play is just *miles* away from being NHL-calibre. And I have a hard time imagining it will play at C. Like I said above, he reminds me of Brock Boeser as a skilled but floaty/low-compete complimentary scorer who will put up PP points and work well with an elite linemate (which is hardly a bad thing) ... but guys like this simply cannot play C in the NHL and be effective.

The fact that Seattle is already breaking in a better young C in Beniers also works against him. Hard to have two very young Cs on your top two lines both learning how to play defense in the NHL.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
The fact that Winterton and Morrison have just been called up ahead of him is probably pretty telling.

His motor/compete level/defensive play is just *miles* away from being NHL-calibre. And I have a hard time imagining it will play at C. Like I said above, he reminds me of Brock Boeser as a skilled but floaty/low-compete complimentary scorer who will put up PP points and work well with an elite linemate (which is hardly a bad thing) ... but guys like this simply cannot play C in the NHL and be effective.

The fact that Seattle is already breaking in a better young C in Beniers also works against him. Hard to have two very young Cs on your top two lines both learning how to play defense in the NHL.
I wouldn't read too much into the fact that Winterton and Morrison were bought up ahead of him. Francis mentioned weeks back that he is very happy with Wright's development this season and feels that continuing to improve in the AHL and having a long playoff run is better for him.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I wouldn't read too much into the fact that Winterton and Morrison were bought up ahead of him. Francis mentioned weeks back that he is very happy with Wright's development this season and feels that continuing to improve in the AHL and having a long playoff run is better for him.

And this is probably because the organization knows he would get exposed defensively in the NHL right now.

Reactions: WhiskeyYerTheDevils

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

Are you basing your opinion on recent viewings or is this more old stuff?

I understand what you saw. I gave a similar report to yours plenty of times in his draft year and D+1. It was an unpopular opinion here in his draft year. I don't know what people were watching.

Since then I've seen him improve a lot on his weaknesses. Still overly passive but it's not like it used to be. He still needs to get strong and more balanced, as a lot of kids do. That is the biggest issue with him at center is getting stronger in battles. But he reads the play well, I think he can be a solid center if he gets stronger on his feet.

And he can be a goal scoring center complement with a great winger. I am not one of those people that think the center always has to be the best player or the best playmaker. Think about how many years Panarin or Kaprizov wish they had a center that could control play well and pot 30 goals. And add plenty of PP skill. It's a good thing to have.

I'll admit though I haven't watched Coachella Valley in months and probably won't again until the playoffs. Maybe someone has more recent viewings.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

I understand what you saw. I gave a similar report to yours plenty of times in his draft year and D+1. It was an unpopular opinion here in his draft year. I don't know what people were watching.

Since then I've seen him improve a lot on his weaknesses. Still overly passive but it's not like it used to be. He still needs to get strong and more balanced, as a lot of kids do. That is the biggest issue with him at center is getting stronger in battles. But he reads the play well, I think he can be a solid center if he gets stronger on his feet.

And he can be a goal scoring center complement with a great winger. I am not one of those people that think the center always has to be the best player or the best playmaker. Think about how many years Panarin or Kaprizov wish they had a center that could control play well and pot 30 goals. And add plenty of PP skill. It's a good thing to have.

I'll admit though I haven't watched Coachella Valley in months and probably won't again until the playoffs. Maybe someone has more recent viewings.

The last game I watched him play in was in January but I had 7-8 viewings before that between AHL and NHL preseason.

So I guess it’s theoretically possible he’s turned over a new leaf in his last 15-20 games but my impressions of him were pretty consistent across all viewings before that. And in the years before that.

Reactions: WhiskeyYerTheDevils

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
It is so weird

during his rookie season and prior to his OHL rookie season
he was considered a pure goal scorer / point scorer and who could
score goals at will and he did so, in his 15 year old season and we
all got onboard on the hype train, i myself included.
- i mean, dude had a 50 goal pace in his 15 year old season in the OHL/CHL

but then, all of the sudden he was touted as this 200 ft player, all around center
who had quality two-way game in him

and now, some are saying that he is a pure goal scorer again... go figure

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
It is so weird

during his rookie season and prior to his OHL rookie season
he was considered a pure goal scorer / point scorer and who could
score goals at will and he did so, in his 15 year old season and we
all got onboard on the hype train, i myself included.
- i mean, dude had a 50 goal pace in his 15 year old season in the OHL/CHL

but then, all of the sudden he was touted as this 200 ft player, all around center
who had quality two-way game in him

and now, some are saying that he is a pure goal scorer again... go figure

Don't put too much stock into what a player is when they're that young. It doesn't matter if they score 100 pts. No one that age is close to NHL quality, they all need to make massive improvements that we shouldn't take for granted.

That and the people saying he was an elite defender were on some wild mushrooms, he didn't look remotely like an elite defender in his draft year, could barely ever win a battle.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005

He's definitely made improvements vs where he was in junior, but he's still pretty far below average in terms of the engagement and defensive play it takes to be a reliable center in the NHL. The on ice effort is noticeably improved though, and I think that's something he can hopefully build on. And if he's never able to round himself out enough, he could still end up a 20-30 goal winger IMO. That's not a terrible outcome for a 4th overall pick.

That and the people saying he was an elite defender were on some wild mushrooms, he didn't look remotely like an elite defender in his draft year, could barely ever win a battle.
People were so desperate to defend their premature hyping of him. Remarkable how fast the narrative changed the moment his production no longer matched the generational hype. He was going to be the next Bergeron, remember?

I felt like you and I were taking crazy pills.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Yeah, but it's not like Wright came into this season without solid pro experience. He played 8 NHL games and 32 AHL games last season. If anything, I think he has an advantage over a lot of the guys from that draft, who are playing their first AHL season.
He didn't get much experience with the Kraken, under nine minutes a game on average and a lot of sitting in the press box. A wasted year for the most part.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
And this is probably because the organization knows he would get exposed defensively in the NHL right now.
Or maybe it is because the organization feels that giving him meaningful games in the AHL instead of meaningless games in the NHL is better for his development.
I think both things are true. Obviously he seems to be developing well in the AHL. Keep him there another year if he needs it. No need to rush--he has the potential to be a real asset for us.

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke
People were so desperate to defend their premature hyping of him. Remarkable how fast the narrative changed the moment his production no longer matched the generational hype. He was going to be the next Bergeron, remember?

I felt like you and I were taking crazy pills.
Well said. I think there's something to the idea Wright could become a 200 foot guy, but it was more a foundation to work with than him coming in as a true two-way player; I think a ton of pundits were unsure of what to make of him based on pre-conceptions entering the 2021-22 season.

For what it's worth, Wright is hardly the only prospect I saw this happen with (even Yager was getting similar "Bergeron-like" pundit treatment last year in the first half of the season).

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
He didn't get much experience with the Kraken, under nine minutes a game on average and a lot of sitting in the press box. A wasted year for the most part.
He played 64 games, I fail to see how it was a wasted year. Especially considering how much he's developed in that time.

15 points in 32 AHL games last year
43 points in 55 AHL games this year

Well said. I think there's something to the idea Wright could become a 200 foot guy, but it was more a foundation to work with than him coming in as a true two-way player; I think a ton of pundits were unsure of what to make of him based on pre-conceptions had early in 2021-22 season.

For what it's worth, Wright is hardly the only prospect I saw this happen with (even Yager was getting similar "Bergeron-like" pundit treatment last year in the first half of the season).
Yeah it happens literally all the time with highly touted prospects who don't produce as well as expected.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

He didn't get enough ice time to learn the pro timing but that's just one of many components of development. Gym time and skating and skills training is most of it, and he did improve there.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
He played 64 games, I fail to see how it was a wasted year. Especially considering how much he's developed in that time.

15 points in 32 AHL games last year
43 points in 55 AHL games this year

Yeah it happens literally all the time with highly touted prospects who don't produce as well as expected.
I was referring to his rookie year when he played eight regular season games and 24 playoff games in the AHL but was used sparingly at best in his stint with the Kraken and mostly road the pine.

Reactions: Bear of Bad News

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
I was referring to his rookie year when he played eight regular season games and 24 playoff games in the AHL but was used sparingly at best in his stint with the Kraken and mostly road the pine.
In total, he played 64 games in his rookie year. And a lot of development for young players can come from just practicing with the big team and getting used to the pro life style.

32 AHL games (mostly playoff games) + a cup of coffee in the NHL is far from a wasted season, especially when you add in the games he got in the OHL.

Reactions: majormajor

josra33

Aug 11, 2008
In total, he played 64 games in his rookie year. And a lot of development for young players can come from just practicing with the big team and getting used to the pro life style.

32 AHL games (mostly playoff games) + a cup of coffee in the NHL is far from a wasted season, especially when you add in the games he got in the OHL.
Isn’t the OHL 68 games plus playoffs? That’s not exactly that much less than a CHL season.

Edit: Sorry meant to respond to the person you responded to.

SpezzaNoLookDropPass

May 25, 2016
Said by every GM in NHL history at least once

Reactions: Rob

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
Very encouraged by this call-up so far as a Wright keeper league owner. 4 shots on the net in the 1st tonight.

It will be very interesting to see if they have him play 10 games (so 4 more) and burn the 1st year of the ELC if he keeps playing well. Business wise, it's hard to support such a decision when you are this late in the season. But the optics of sending him down after 9 games played in that scenario would be bad.

Reactions: Bear of Bad News

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad