C Semyon Der-Arguchintsev - Traktor Chelyabinsk, KHL (2018, 76th, TOR)

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
He's a small dude. Hasn't matured physically yet it seems.

As he does, he'll add power to his legs, and he'll become more explosive.

Not in anyway worried with his skating

Agreed, seen him live twice this year and I don't think his skating will hold him back from being an NHL player.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
I think it's just about him never really being in the Russian junior system at any age. Basically he's an unknown player to the staff who didn't see enough merit to invite him to the camp, check him out, introduce him to the systems, etc. "We never needed him so we will just continue to not need him". The short answer would be ignorance.

Having said that, it's not like he would have been a key player of any sort.

HockeyGuruPitka

Jan 27, 2010
Toronto
Have seen him play live and have serious concerns with size and compete. I do understand today's NHL is changing, however when i watch there seems to be a cautiousness preventing him from really becoming an impact player. Avoids contact at ALL costs. Does not go to the net with the puck and plays mostly on the perimeter. There is high levels of talent here, but im just not sold.

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
Have seen him play live and have serious concerns with size and compete. I do understand today's NHL is changing, however when i watch there seems to be a cautiousness preventing him from really becoming an impact player. Avoids contact at ALL costs. Does not go to the net with the puck and plays mostly on the perimeter. There is high levels of talent here, but im just not sold.

He is still a kid, just turned 19 in September. I am sure he will learn and get stronger.

But if the same thing is visible when he is in his early 20's, that could be a red flag for sure.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Yeah, this is a fair criticism IMO - haven’t caught him live, but get the same vibe from TV viewings. He’s got a lot of skill, but is an undersized, pass first, perimeter player, who scores very few goals at the OHL level - these types normally don’t make it at the NHL level. I do think he has progressed decently for a 3rd round pick, has very good skills and vision, but IMO he’s a long shot to have a legit NHL career.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Pretty much this. I think its unlikely he has a good pro-career, except maybe in Europe. Anyone who can't score in the OHL is going to have trouble trying to be an offensive player at higher levels.

Reactions: wetcoast

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
Pretty much this. I think its unlikely he has a good pro-career, except maybe in Europe. Anyone who can't score in the OHL is going to have trouble trying to be an offensive player at higher levels.

Although you very well could be right. There are many players (not always scoring forwards of course) who have had bad Jr. numbers, and tear it up, or at least play way above expectations in the NHL.

I would say that it is 50/50 right now. He is super young and needs to mature still. I still believe he has very good vision, and when he matures physically he could become a very important piece for us.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Although you very well could be right. There are many players (not always scoring forwards of course) who have had bad Jr. numbers, and tear it up, or at least play way above expectations in the NHL.

I would say that it is 50/50 right now. He is super young and needs to mature still. I still believe he has very good vision, and when he matures physically he could become a very important piece for us.
Find me a top 6 forward who scored goals at as low a rate as SDA in their 19-year-old season in the CHL. Even heavily pass first perimeter guys like Bracco were able to score goals at a much higher rate. I can't see SDA projecting as anything outside of an offensive player in the NHL, and most of those guys can score. You talk about him being young, but he's in the oldest age cohort outside of the 3 overagers in the OHL per team, and can't attack the middle of the ice. Robertson is similarly undersized, but he actually attacks the middle of the ice. It is mostly a want to issue, not a physical one.

Reactions: wetcoast

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
Find me a top 6 forward who scored goals at as low a rate as SDA in their 19-year-old season in the CHL. Even heavily pass first perimeter guys like Bracco were able to score goals at a much higher rate. I can't see SDA projecting as anything outside of an offensive player in the NHL, and most of those guys can score. You talk about him being young, but he's in the oldest age cohort outside of the 3 overagers in the OHL per team, and can't attack the middle of the ice. Robertson is similarly undersized, but he actually attacks the middle of the ice. It is mostly a want to issue, not a physical one.

I don't disagree, and most examples you see are D men, goalies, and European leagues. But we have seen guys like a Dustin Penner (just an example) who was even cut from his junior team.

I am just saying it is a 50/50 that he makes it at this point in time, and he has good vision. If next year at this time he is not progressing, I would say it is a long shot.

But it is a will thing as well, and if he is not that type of player, then I can see him not having a good NHL career.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I don't disagree, and most examples you see are D men, goalies, and European leagues. But we have seen guys like a Dustin Penner (just an example) who was even cut from his junior team.

I am just saying it is a 50/50 that he makes it at this point in time, and he has good vision. If next year at this time he is not progressing, I would say it is a long shot.

But it is a will thing as well, and if he is not that type of player, then I can see him not having a good NHL career.
Its way below 50% he becomes an effective NHLer. We are talking closer to 5% or 10%. I think you are dramatically underrating the rate prospects fail at. Most first round picks outside the top 10 are 50/50 propositions to become effective NHLers.

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
Its way below 50% he becomes an effective NHLer. We are talking closer to 5% or 10%. I think you are dramatically underrating the rate prospects fail at. Most first round picks outside the top 10 are 50/50 propositions to become effective NHLers.

Agreed

But we have been hitting on a few, so I keep the hope lol

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018

I think it's maybe a 5-10% that he even becomes an effective AHL player given his lack of ability to score goals.

Jun 15, 2007
Never seen a forward with such a skewed goal to assist ratio. Is he awful at shooting or what?

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
So does he go with the Growlers again or the Marlies?

That depends on when you are talking about. This year? I doubt the Marlies make the playoffs, and Peterborough will. So Marlies are out of the question this year.

As far as for next year... his play in preseason, and what he does this offseason for workouts, will depend on where he plays next year. I suppose where Bracco is, somewhat influences SDA's future too.... If Bracco is back with the Marlies, we don't really need SDA there.... can you imagine the two of them on the ice together? LOL

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad