C Ryan Poehling - St. Cloud State, NCAA (2017, 25th, MTL)

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
If Poehling can bring some offense to his NHL game then he's golden. Has good tools and knows how to play otherwise.

That played show good vision, but i'm not sure if he's much above average in that department.

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
That's crazy, I don't know if he's really regressed that much since his first season or if he's just like that against the Habs.

He's a good d but often just can't defend plays well. He benefits from playing without scrutiny

MatthewFlames

Jul 21, 2003
'Murica
If Poehling can bring some offense to his NHL game then he's golden. Has good tools and knows how to play otherwise.

That played show good vision, but i'm not sure if he's much above average in that department.

You are kidding, right? That was literally an elite level offensive play, which he has consistantly demonstrated in his time at St. Cloud, during the WJC against the best in his age group (single-handedly winning games, MVP), and during his NHL debut (3 goals + Shootout winner). He has literally everything you want in a 1C - big, physical, high IQ, coachable, two-way (that play above started stripping an NHL'er of the puck on a PP), fantastic skater, playmaking, puck-handling and goal scoring, and then, super competitive and plays with a chip on his shoulder. He's really not average in anything.

Reactions: domiwroze and Tuggy

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
Looking good baby. The thing is, with Poehling you know he will handle or adjust pretty easily to NHL level. He is quick and strong. The step might be a little bit more difficult for Suzuki to take but hey, they both look promising. I like what i am seeing right now.

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
"elite vision" at St. Cloud? NHL #1C?

Last year, he was tied for 72nd place in NCAA scoring, and that was on a very strong team. Points aren't everything...he's a solid player... but c'mon now.
Yes on a very solid team in which most players were 21+. Poehling had the toughest matchup while Lizotte, Jackson, Newell had more offensive opportunities and 1st pp line. Looking just at pts doesn't tell the whole story here...

Reactions: MatthewFlames

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Points aren't the whole story, I agree, but a #1C sure as hell better put up points, and a lot of them. I know Poehling's game better than most of you. He and his brother's played HS here, and the Huskies are a 75 minute drive away.

Nothing wrong with a strong, two way, middle six C. If Poehling turns into the next Plekanec MTL should be turning cartwheels.

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
Points aren't the whole story, I agree, but a #1C sure as hell better put up points, and a lot of them. I know Poehling's game better than most of you. He and his brother's played HS here, and the Huskies are a 75 minute drive away.

Nothing wrong with a strong, two way, middle six C. If Poehling turns into the next Plekanec MTL should be turning cartwheels.
Yes, I'm not sure about 1 C, but top 6 is certainly not out of question just because he only had 31 pts in the NCAA

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad