C/RW Stelio Mattheos - Brandon Wheat Kings, WHL (2017, 83rd, CAR)

NHL Dude 120

Jun 18, 2011
Ottawa
What is the gulf between him and let's say someone like Barzal at the same age?? Could he be a Barzal of this draft??

covfefe

Zoltan Poszar's Burner
Feb 5, 2014
Certainly don't see him as being 30+ picks behind Shaw, Heponiemi, Anderson-Dolan, or Leschyshyn. Don't watch enough of the other leagues to comment beyond that.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Daximus

Certainly don't see him as being 30+ picks behind Shaw, Heponiemi, Anderson-Dolan, or Leschyshyn. Don't watch enough of the other leagues to comment beyond that.

Yeah me either. Button likes to put a few head scratchers in there just to drum up conversation I think.

gifted88

Dante the poet
Feb 12, 2010
Guelph, ON
Yeah me either. Button likes to put a few head scratchers in there just to drum up conversation I think.

I posted this in the Buttom thread but it should be noted that Button doesn't think Mattheos will be drafted 75th but rather he will be the 75th best pro player out of this draft. He clearly sees something that might hold him back as a pro.

Maybe someone who watches the WHL can say what his weaknesses are and what Button might be seeing?

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Daximus

I posted this in the Buttom thread but it should be noted that Button doesn't think Mattheos will be drafted 75th but rather he will be the 75th best pro player out of this draft. He clearly sees something that might hold him back as a pro.

Maybe someone who watches the WHL can say what his weaknesses are and what Button might be seeing?

I think his biggest weakness is he needs more development time. He'll be the real go to guy next year in Brandon. I think he'll make some big strides then. He's a very good skater with a heavy shot.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
First chance to watcb him in awhile. To me he was just okay this showing. Was really expecting more, but perhaps it had to do more with the score and the WheatKings were protecting the lead. Finished with an assist this game.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
4 goals in 4 games at u18's. Where do people have him ranked?

Late 1st for me needs more time to develop his game. He's a very good skater and has a slick wrist shot with a hard release but he'll be a longer term project. Probably another two years of junior and a year or so in the AHL before he's ready.

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
Didn't know a thread on him existed but he's my choice for the Leafs 2nd this year (Ottawas 2nd) barring any thing drastic changing come draft time.

Definitely a project, home-run type pick but I'm confident we can push him in the right direction.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I thought he was a sure fire first rd pick before the season began. His stock has dropped. However I still like him and it wouldn't be a surprise if he had a good year after the draft where he may look like a first rd pick again if he slips into the 2nd rd or lower. Possible value pick.

Mar 15, 2011
NJ
Was hoping the Devils would've nabbed Athanasiou in the 2013 draft, but I guess I'd be ok with Mattheos with Boston's 2nd. We need some Greeks

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
The kid is really tearing it up (without much fanfare). Sitting near the top of the dub leaderboard and showing off some pretty nifty moves these days and just a huge "on ice presence". Fun player to watch. Carolina may have scored a good one here.

Carl33

Aug 25, 2007
I dont know why he didn't play in Subway superseries or get an invite for team canada WJC camp even if he's still young, next year he might be considerate

Petrouth

Its not my time
Apr 23, 2013
East York, Toronto
Carolina is about as bland of a franchise as you can get. We’re like the oatmeal of nhl teams. What could they possibly have done to make anyone hate them as much as you seem to?

I wish I could tell you but I honestly cant pinpoint the moment I started to viscerally hate your team. And I truly, truly, madly hate them. Always have. Ever since I was a little kid I have just really hated Carolina. The year they won the cup was a dagger through me. I want to like certain players but I cant bring myself to do so. Not even when they leave the team. Mattheos being on the team will test me to see if my patriotism is stronger than my blind hatred of Carolina. I think it just may but I still hope they lose every game in an embarrassing way. Cant tell you why but I just do.

Funny enough I told my dad about this and he told me he felt the same back in his day with the Whalers. It might just be a family thing with that franchise.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
It might just be a family thing with that franchise.
It sounds like something probably much more serious than that. Hope you can get it resolved, my friend.

As for Mattheos, appears to be another lucky non 1st round pick by Francis as his GMing skills seem to be inadequate. Hopefully he can remain CHL scout for us in the future though. Need more blind shots in the dark that land like this one.

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015
Kid has 29 goals, 60 pts in 42 games in the WHL as an 18 year old. Seems promising. Anyone that has watched him describe his game a bit for us Canes fans? What kind of ceiling does he have?

Reactions: SaskCanesFan

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
Kid has 29 goals, 60 pts in 42 games in the WHL as an 18 year old. Seems promising. Anyone that has watched him describe his game a bit for us Canes fans? What kind of ceiling does he have?
I see him play quite often, and I always come away thinking of his entire game as “mature”. I’d say realistically zero chance of ever being a first liner because he doesn’t qualify as “great” in terms of hands, shot, skating, etc. but I’d place my money on him being a dependable, above average middle-six guy for at least a decade and a half.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad