C/RW Stelio Mattheos - Brandon Wheat Kings, WHL (2017, 83rd, CAR)

zeropotentate

Dec 4, 2012
Ontario
well Mattheos is 3rd in u17 scoring in the WHL with 27pts but that's in 49gms 0.56ppg. Above him are Bellerive with 32pts in 62gms 0.51ppg and Rasmussen with 42pts in 61gms 0.69ppg.

Next year he should be getting quality minutes alongside Patrick. Looking at how players progress from their u17 to u18 season in the WHL makes it hard to guess how Mattheos will progress. I think he'll be anywhere from 60-90pts next year (gee, so accurate).
This is all just stat watching, it would be great to get an evaluation of his play.
He should also benefit from a long playoff and maybe Memorial Cup run with Brandon this season

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
The dude was a monster for the AAA Midget Monarchs in his Major Junior draft year and cooled considerably at the next level. Being under a PPG in your first year while missing substantial time due to injury isn't a bad thing. Will be interesting to see what he does next year when Provorov, Hawryluk, Quennville, etc. all move on.

covfefe

Zoltan Poszar's Burner
Feb 5, 2014
Another Sam steel? Great at the AAA level but can't translate?

70 points this season represents an inability to translate? Not sure if I agree with you..

Mattheos looks promising, I think he is poised for a breakout year and will really benefit from an expanded role next year.

David Strorm

@ControlPuck
Aug 13, 2012
Manitoba
Cant forget that brandon is loaded as well. Hes not playing top line minutes, I believe hes on the third line. Doubtful he gets any PP time at all too.

Context is important if your just going to look at numbers..

SmartPuck

Mar 8, 2016
Cant forget that brandon is loaded as well. Hes not playing top line minutes, I believe hes on the third line. Doubtful he gets any PP time at all too.

Context is important if your just going to look at numbers..

He played a lot of top 6 minutes this season. Hell, down the stretch he played RW with Quenneville and McGauley. Two pretty good players. He himself is a talented player but he's not the guy that did most of the heavy lifting on his lines this year.

So yeah, context is important.

Tigerscout

Feb 21, 2016
70 points this season represents an inability to translate? Not sure if I agree with you..

Mattheos looks promising, I think he is poised for a breakout year and will really benefit from an expanded role next year.

Where is steel ranked in the draft this year buddy? I would definitely say that he didn't translate. Don't get me wrong he's still a great player, but as a former 1st OA don't think he's done as well as many thought he would

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I was thinking of bumping this thread when I saw him score his first Playoff goal weeks ago. But have not seen much of him since.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
Where is steel ranked in the draft this year buddy? I would definitely say that he didn't translate. Don't get me wrong he's still a great player, but as a former 1st OA don't think he's done as well as many thought he would

Steel went 2nd OA. Lately though, not many WHL forwards have been translating their games well. Talking about this year.

covfefe

Zoltan Poszar's Burner
Feb 5, 2014

Late 1st/early 2nd, pal. Likely a 100 pt scorer next year. You are just wrong, but you're entitled to be wrong as often as you like. It's not like he is going to be the 1st guy to go 2nd OA in the Bantam draft and then drop into late 1st territory. Alex Forsberg is a guy who didn't translate, Steel is a very good prospect...

He also went 2nd but that's neither here nor there. And will likely go ahead of Benson in this year's draft.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Somewhat surprised he didn't make Button's list. I think we will hear more from Mattheos later in the year as he climbs up in rankings.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Looks much improved from last year. I think he worked on his shot alot. Seems to have a lot more zip on it. He was showing some great chemistry with Patrick last night. The two of them will be a very productive pair this season.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Scored a goal in a fogged out game last night with a quick wrister. Off to a good start 2g 1 a in 1 1/2 games due to a fogged out game.

I think it will be interesting watching him and Patrick this year. Patrick is a Sept 19 birthday whereas Mattheos is 9 months younger born on June 14 and won't turn 18 until just before the draft.

Obviously Mattheos has a lot of growth in his game.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
3 point night puts him at 6 points in 2 1/2 games played thus far with the suspended game due to fog still to be played at some point. Off to a promising start in his draft year.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Bump, hes about a PPG player, 6'1 194 according to http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=201293

how does he project??
Player comparables??
Projected Draft ranking(where can he go in the draft??)
ETA to the NHL??

I'd say he projects as a Top 6 Offensive C/RW. More of an offensive off the rush player. Is an excellent skater, has a heavy shot, great passer. Doesn't mind getting physical and going into the dirty areas. Pretty solid at the cycling game. Offensive instincts are there but he is probably more of a support player. His ceiling is likely a 2C or 1st line RW.
Can't really think of any good comparables right now.
I think he'll go in the mid to late 1st, possibly early 2nd.
He's on the younger side of the draft, I'm guessing he will probably need another two years in Junior. Though I wouldn't be surprised if he's ready after 1. He's a prime candidate for someone who could really hit a quick development curve and look like a complete draft steal.

NHL Dude 120

Jun 18, 2011
Ottawa
I'd say he projects as a Top 6 Offensive C/RW. More of an offensive off the rush player. Is an excellent skater, has a heavy shot, great passer. Doesn't mind getting physical and going into the dirty areas. Pretty solid at the cycling game. Offensive instincts are there but he is probably more of a support player. His ceiling is likely a 2C or 1st line RW.
Can't really think of any good comparables right now.
I think he'll go in the mid to late 1st, possibly early 2nd.
He's on the younger side of the draft, I'm guessing he will probably need another two years in Junior. Though I wouldn't be surprised if he's ready after 1. He's a prime candidate for someone who could really hit a quick development curve and look like a complete draft steal.

Thanks he seems like a viable target for the Sens

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad