Confirmed with Link: C/RW Ryan White, 1 year/$1 million

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
That's why there is hidden value gained from a traditional fourth line talent providing surprise scoring punch in a given year. This past season, Ryan White delivered such a season, scoring 11 goals in 73 games, and even earned a deserved spot on the team's second power play unit.

But while goal scoring is an added bonus from a player like White, the most important job of a fourth liner is to provide a breather for the team's true offensive talents and to avoid becoming a liability at even strength. In that area, Ryan White proved far less successful.

http://www.broadstreethockey.com/2016/6/2/11669448/ryan-white-season-review-grade-flyers

tl;dr good room guy, not a 4th line regular.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
This is the sandpaper I've been looking for. He just might help keep OEL healthy.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
I'm having flashbacks to being excited when we signed Scott and hoping we'd be a tougher team. Hopefully he isn't disciplined into being ineffective.

WrinkledPossum

Play Dead
Apr 23, 2016
I was hoping we weren't going to have any signings like this but whatever hopefully he only dresses against teams like LA, Philly etc. Not a big deal. Wasn't he one of the guys causing problems when Philly was last here?

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
I don't want to be that guy, but you all know DT is going to be a leash on this guy. Every tough/crazy player we've brought in has been immediately neutered.

I agree. Maybe they see some utility in the DT fancy stats. It's at least encouraging that GMDT picked him out this time. Might actually get use.

And if it means no more Chip as a crutch, I'm fine with it.

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX
I agree. Maybe they see some utility in the DT fancy stats. It's at least encouraging that GMDT picked him out this time. Might actually get use.

And if it means no more Chip as a crutch, I'm fine with it.

This, so much this. If this ends the tripchura reign, he should have been paid more!

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
I was hoping Philly would resign Ryan White.
I'm surprised that Arizona got him for only 1mil, but only for 1 yr. I thought Ron Hextall would have offered him atleast 1.25 per season.

Arizona is getting a decent hockey player, mainly a 4th line RW, white can also play centre and he spend some time towards the end of the season on the 2nd PP unit as a Screener/Rebound type player in front of the net.

Only knock on White is that he's not the fastest of skaters and he also had 101 penalty minutes that was 3rd most on the flyers behind Simmons and Gudas.

I believe if Hakstol would have gave him more playing time on the 3rd line he may have had more then 11 goals last season for the flyers. It's also true that White is a big pain in the ass to play against, he's a yapper that gets under your skin and plays the game with his heart on his sleeve, he always gave 100% for the flyers.

Best of luck with the Arizona Coyotes Whitey....

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX
I was hoping Philly would resign Ryan White.
I'm surprised that Arizona got him for only 1mil, but only for 1 yr. I thought Ron Hextall would have offered him atleast 1.25 per season.

Arizona is getting a decent hockey player, mainly a 4th line RW, white can also play centre and he spend some time towards the end of the season on the 2nd PP unit as a Screener/Rebound type player in front of the net.

Only knock on White is that he's not the fastest of skaters and he also had 101 penalty minutes that was 3rd most on the flyers behind Simmons and Gudas.

I believe if Hakstol would have gave him more playing time on the 3rd line he may have had more then 11 goals last season for the flyers. It's also true that White is a big pain in the ass to play against, he's a yapper that gets under your skin and plays the game with his heart on his sleeve, he always gave 100% for the flyers.

Best of luck with the Arizona Coyotes Whitey....

Thanks for the write up. I take it he might be a guy that will stand up for our players?

ParisSaintGermain

Jan 19, 2004
I am a bit on the fence with White but he did well with the Flyers in various situations so I am reasonably optimistic

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
Thanks for the write up. I take it he might be a guy that will stand up for our players?

Yea White was always the first guy into a scrum when he was on the ice.
He always stood up for his team mates, and was a leader in the locker room.

The only thing that doesn't make sense about Arizona signing him is that White isn't a fast skater and I know the western conference was always known for having very fast skaters and a quick style of play.

Hopefully Ryan can keep up.
White does play very hard though when it's shift on the ice.

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX
Yea White was always the first guy into a scrum when he was on the ice.
He always stood up for his team mates, and was a leader in the locker room.

The only thing that doesn't make sense about Arizona signing him is that White isn't a fast skater and I know the western conference was always known for having very fast skaters and a quick style of play.

Hopefully Ryan can keep up.
White does play very hard though when it's shift on the ice.

One of the biggest problems this team has is sticking up for eachother. And our youth has allowed us to be fast. I think he'll fit in just fine. I see him as an upgrade to Chipchura.

You mentioned you thought philly might offer a bit more. Do you know why they didn't? Did they plug the position he would be in had they kept him?

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
You mentioned you thought philly might offer a bit more. Do you know why they didn't? Did they plug the position he would be in had they kept him?[/QUOTE]

I think Ron Hextall saw Dale Weise as an upgrade over Ryan White, and with the emergence of younger prospects like Travis Konecny and Taylor Leier on cheaper entry level contracts, thats pretty much what made Ryan White expendable.

Hockeypete49

How you like me now!
Mar 22, 2009
South Jersey
wzsq4v39au1blk9sjz3q.gif

Flyers Fan here and I come in peace.
Check the nose before and after Ryan popped him and he has not lost all his fights. He is a decent 4th liner and at 1 mill you could have done worse. Good luck this year.

Muppet

7th Round Pick
Mar 13, 2011
I'm fine with this as long as he ignores the "Don't retaliate" rule that Tippett seems to have in place. Someone has to stand up and throw them once OEL is inevitably run into the boards.

Flyotes

Sorry Hinkie.
Apr 7, 2007
SJ
Ryan White hasn't seen a scrum he didn't like. Chirps. First in. Defends everyone. Not the best skater, can PK a bit. Was even used on the Flyers pp2 as a "stand in front of net" "garbage goal player." Plays with a ton of heart-- not an overabundance of skill but definitely a guy I liked for the Flyers (and now Yotes). Skating isn't great, but it is passable. Ryan White was born to be a Flyer, but they couldn't come to term, so...

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
I'm sure you'll all love that, from these descriptions from Philly fans, he seems like a guy after Tyson Nash's own heart...:laugh:

Finnish Flyer

Feb 16, 2015
As a Flyers fan I would just like to add that he really is a fun player to watch and really gives 110% every single game. Over 200 hits last season, is always looking after his teammates and gets under the opposites skin. Was a suprisingly clinical scorer last season, put up double digits so he has a little bit of goal scoring potential as well. Sad to see Whitey leave Philadelphia but I wish him well in Arizona. Think you gonna like him a lot!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad