C/RW Maddox Fleming - Univ of Notre Dame (2022 undrafted)

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
They usually get above that number counting nationals. Unlike most AAA teams, all of the relevant SSM teams (14/16/prep-u18) have their kids living on campus and the resources to host whatever games they want, as well as send them around the country to whatever events they'd like to be at.

Yeah, i did some further research, i get it now. :)

tealhockey

@overtheboards
Jun 2, 2012
www.tealhockey.net
So the Prep is the better one? i forgot.
i remember now, someone posted few months ago how Nathan MacKinnon was sent to the U16 team, worked out just fine for him thou ;)
Prep is certainly the top team, but the 16U team is always loaded with kids who could just as well be on the prep team. Clayton Keller made the jump that MacKinnon didn't a few years after, but that was a weaker prep team than it was when he was there. Even two years* after MacKinnon, a fellow maritimer named Nathan (noel) made the jump MacKinnon didn't, and he is nowhere near what Mackinnon was. Also worth noting Mack is a late birthday.
These days SSM gets players recruited like crazy from junior teams so the prep team is thinner than it was in the 'glory days' as far as I can tell. For example Jackson LaCombe who went early on in the draft this year had to switch to defense on the prep team two years ago because they didn't have enough blue liners. Not something that would have happened in the past I would wager.

For what it's worth 18U hockey (what prep plays) really isn't usually 'better' than 16U in america. It's just older. In many ways 16U is more skilled and certainly was more 'relevant' for scouts, at least until 15U became popular. I'm sure it is still that way to some extent. But for a young talent a year of showing what you can do against decent 17-18 year olds can be valuable.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Prep is certainly the top team, but the 16U team is always loaded with kids who could just as well be on the prep team. Clayton Keller made the jump that MacKinnon didn't a few years after, but that was a weaker prep team than it was when he was there. Even the year after MacKinnon, a fellow maritimer named Nathan (noel) made the jump MacKinnon didn't, and he is nowhere near what Mackinnon was. Also worth noting Mack is a late birthday.
These days SSM gets players recruited like crazy from junior teams so the prep team is thinner than it was in the 'glory days' as far as I can tell. For example Jackson LaCombe who went early on in the draft this year had to switch to defense on the prep team two years ago because they didn't have enough blue liners. Not something that would have happened in the past I would wager.

For what it's worth 18U hockey (what prep plays) really isn't usually 'better' than 16U in america. It's just older. In many ways 16U is more skilled and certainly was more 'relevant' for scouts, at least until 15U became popular. I'm sure it is still that way to some extent. But for a young talent a year of showing what you can do against decent 17-18 year olds can be valuable.

Thanks from this info.

tealhockey

@overtheboards
Jun 2, 2012
www.tealhockey.net
Thanks from this info.
If you guys have hockeyTV the game against a Norwegian team that I mentioned last year during 'tryouts' is on today in the afternoon against Norway U18 team. I believe one team plays at 5:30 EST and the next at 7:15, and then again tomorrow (per Hockeytv).

A few days after that we should know who has made what team

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
If you guys have hockeyTV the game against a Norwegian team that I mentioned last year during 'tryouts' is on today in the afternoon against Norway U18 team. I believe one team plays at 5:30 EST and the next at 7:15, and then again tomorrow (per Hockeytv).

A few days after that we should know who has made what team

Thank you.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
He is the only 2004 born, two 2003 born, rest are 2001 & 2002 born.
- looking at the roster... few names i did recognize, rest i did not.

Not sure how good that roster is though...

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
He is the only 2004 born, two 2003 born, rest are 2001 & 2002 born.
- looking at the roster... few names i did recognize, rest i did not.

Not sure how good that roster is though...

They should be good. Shlaine, Kunz, and Fleming should carry them offensively, while Ma and Morrow are the go to guys on the back end. They lost 3 big time players from last year's team though: Brisson (USHL) and Lacombe (NCAA) to graduation and Samoskevich (USHL) left a year early.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
They should be good. Shlaine, Kunz, and Fleming should carry them offensively, while Ma and Morrow are the go to guys on the back end. They lost 3 big time players from last year's team though: Brisson (USHL) and Lacombe (NCAA) to graduation and Samoskevich (USHL) left a year early.

Yeah. I hope they can find additional scoring as well. Mentally, its better for a young "star" player not to have too much production pressure.

tealhockey

@overtheboards
Jun 2, 2012
www.tealhockey.net

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Here Stats - Upper Midwest HS Elite League Hockey

Gamesheet http://stats-ro.api.digitalshift.ca/gamesheet/VPSjh7

I watched some of the game. He looked fine, but the level of hockey is a big jump from what he played last year. He'll probably need a few more games to start producing

Thank you. Wish there was more thou...but gotta be thankful that there's at least those statistics.

I agree. He is 15 playing mostly against 17 year old's, who are much more skilled and stronger what
he has faced in the past, however... he has always played against players much older, so nothing new in that department.
But this time, its just much bigger difference. There's always the adjust period, i agree.

BTW. I just found out his nickname; rink rat. It has said that, he basically lives at the ice hockey rink :)
- spends most of his free time at a ice hockey rink, has done that for years. Don't know is it true or just a rumor,
but his nickname really is, rink rat.

tealhockey

@overtheboards
Jun 2, 2012
www.tealhockey.net
Thank you. Wish there was more thou...but gotta be thankful that there's at least those statistics.

I agree. He is 15 playing mostly against 17 year old's, who are much more skilled and stronger what
he has faced in the past, however... he has always played against players much older, so nothing new in that department.
But this time, its just much bigger difference. There's always the adjust period, i agree.

BTW. I just found out his nickname; rink rat. It has said that, he basically lives at the ice hockey rink :)
- spends most of his free time at a ice hockey rink, has done that for years. Don't know is it true or just a rumor,
but his nickname really is, rink rat.
Well he'll have plenty of chances to be a rink rat at Shattuck this year..
It's not just a U18 hockey adjustment period, U18 hockey in general is of varying from poor to average/good quality depending on the team. The first games that Shattuck prep plays (the HS Elite League teams) are low-grade high school all-star teams. Whereas the last two seasons in high school hockey he played in one of the lighter conferences. He went from playing relatively weak hockey to playing the best players from the strongest conferences on a nightly basis throughout the fall.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Maddox has not had a good start to the season (point wisely), 3 games, 0+0. Not that i'm worried, he is the youngest player in his team.
And of the youngest players of all players. His team has won 2 out of 3 games, GD: 13-8 (+5) - Shattuck top scorer is
Will Traeger (2020); 3g + 5a =8pts

tealhockey

@overtheboards
Jun 2, 2012
www.tealhockey.net
Maddox has not had a good start to the season (point wisely), 3 games, 0+0. Not that i'm worried, he is the youngest player in his team.
And of the youngest players of all players. His team has won 2 out of 3 games, GD: 13-8 (+5) - Shattuck top scorer is
Will Traeger (2020); 3g + 5a =8pts
Yeah. Like I said, this is a massive jump for him. He should pick up a couple points over the next few games but if not, he'll probably get on the board against Iowa Wild who are going to be a much lighter challenge coming off the elite league. The schedule really doesn't fall off too much, though

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
5-3 W for Shattuck, finally a strong game for Maddox, 1 goal + 3 assists, 4 points.
- Shattuck's leading point scorer is still Will Traeger (2 years older what Maddox), 5 goals, 5 assists in 5 games.

Reactions: tealhockey

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad