C Quinton Byfield (2020, 2nd, LAK) part IV

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Oof, not many would take QB, maybe a few kings fans. He is improving though.
I was hoping the Kings would take Byfield since I watched him in the D-1 season and I knew the Kings would be rebuilding. I've never walked back on it, although Stutzle is a great talent that Ottawa should be happy for.

I don't even take it as a Byfield versus Stutzle comparison - they're just completely different players with different career arcs and skillsets.

Maybe that makes me a homer. But I'm also willing to admit I was hoping the Kings would take Bogosian over Doughty in 2008, so at least I'm an honest homer :D

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I would take QB over Stutzle in a nanosecond. Dude has the size and skill to take over all games. Built for playoffs
Stutzle already takes over games... I am a massive Byfield fan but saying you take him over Stutzle in a nanosecond is pretty wild. Stutzle appears to be all of a sudden underrated. He has 25 points in 21 games is + 9 and isnt even playing well this year. He had 39 goals and 90 points in 78 games as a 20 year old. He also plays with an edge.

Of course. I said it before and I'll say it again; you can find a Stutzle in every draft. Byfield types only come around once every few years.
He just had the best season a 20 year old has had in this league not named mcdavid since Stamkos. Thats is absolute bullshit, there is absolutely not a Stutzle in every draft. Absurd comment.

Before people come at me I have been defending Byfield and calling this since his draft year.

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
Stutzle already takes over games... I am a massive Byfield fan but saying you take him over Stutzle in a nanosecond is pretty wild. Stutzle appears to be all of a sudden underrated. He has 25 points in 21 games is + 9 and isnt even playing well this year. He had 39 goals and 90 points in 78 games as a 20 year old. He also plays with an edge.

He just had the best season a 20 year old has had in this league not named mcdavid since Stamkos. Thats is absolute bullshit, there is absolutely not a Stutzle in every draft. Absurd comment.
Really too bad he didn’t hit 40. I think Stützle is more matured. I doubt Byfield can take over games yet. That’s too soon. Love seeing him chasing loose pucks though.

With a Stützle in every draft i suppose they mean the combi skillset and size.

Big fast skilled players you dont see very often. That’s why everyone is running away with Tage Thompson.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Dude is an absolute DOG right now
I'm too old to know what "DOG" means so I'll assume it's good and agree. QB has made HUGE strides.

Now, if LAF could somehow do the same instead of going into his pointless ruts, life would be wonderful.

Reactions: ru4reals

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I'm too old to know what "DOG" means so I'll assume it's good and agree. QB has made HUGE strides.

Now, if LAF could somehow do the same instead of going into his pointless ruts, life would be wonderful.
If you look into all their stats, we’re talking about virtually no difference in their overall numbers. A better on ice shooting percentage or more PP time here or there. Both are having good seasons.

And good for Byfield. I think that Lafreniere gets a raw deal still. Everyone is still so negative. Everyone is now positive about Byfield, but half the people on this website are rooting against Lafreniere because they called him a bust after his second season. At no point during that so-called slump did he stop playing well. It was the team. And then he had points in his next two. Yesterday he didn’t have a point, but had a million chances. Whether he has points or not in a game, he’s playing well almost every game. The Rangers are heavily reliant on their PP, the first unit gets almost all the time, and Lafreniere doesn’t get PP1 time, so there’s still a ceiling right now with what can be expected.

Reactions: Dominance

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
If you look into all their stats, we’re talking about virtually no difference in their overall numbers. A better on ice shooting percentage or more PP time here or there. Both are having good seasons.

And good for Byfield. I think that Lafreniere gets a raw deal still. Everyone is still so negative. Everyone is now positive about Byfield, but half the people on this website are rooting against Lafreniere because they called him a bust after his second season. At no point during that so-called slump did he stop playing well. It was the team. And then he had points in his next two. Yesterday he didn’t have a point, but had a million chances. Whether he has points or not in a game, he’s playing well almost every game. The Rangers are heavily reliant on their PP, the first unit gets almost all the time, and Lafreniere doesn’t get PP1 time, so there’s still a ceiling right now with what can be expected.
That's fair and you make an excellent set of points. Hopefully LAF will get some PP1 time and improve his stats.

Ghetty Green

Apr 7, 2018
If you look into all their stats, we’re talking about virtually no difference in their overall numbers.
Lol keep telling yourself that. QB is on pace for 68 points and is +13.

Lafreniere is on pace for 46 points and is -8.

I think Laf does get unwarranted hate on here, I think he is showing progression. However, QB has blown by him this year. It's not close and I think the gap between the 2 will continue to grow.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Lol keep telling yourself that. QB is on pace for 68 points and is +13.

Lafreniere is on pace for 46 points and is -8.

I think Laf does get unwarranted hate on here, I think he is showing progression. However, QB has blown by him this year. It's not close and I think the gap between the 2 will continue to grow.
Plus/minus? That's how you know you're reaching. The most irrelevant stat in hockey.

And the difference in plus minus is pretty simple. Byfield has a very high PDO at 5 on 5 (1034) and Lafreniere has a very low PDO (963). PDO is essentially who is getting lucky and who isn't. And when it's not as simple as that, it's like greatly different quality of offense and defense, like a superstar vs. enforcer.

Of course Byfield has more total points. He plays on his team's first line and first PP. Lafreniere plays on his team's second line and second PP. If you look a little closer, it's close. And I'm taking nothing away from Byfield. Let's just not make it out like he's playing like some superstar and Lafreniere is playing like some bum. Their numbers are close.

Byfield has 15 5 on 5 points and Lafreniere has 13. Lafreniere has 68 shots at 5 on 5 and Byfield has 45. Byfield has an xGF% of 56.3 and Lafreniere is at 53.1%. Relative, Lafreniere is 6.28 and Byfield is -2.74.

Byfield is getting slightly better results at 5 on 5, but better analytic team and more luck. Lafreniere has similar or better underlying.

Byfield has 7 PP points, Lafreniere has 4. Byfield has double the PP time. Frankly, if you consider that difference and then that Lafreniere has worse PP line-mates, and his PP minutes start when the puck is cleared, a new set of players on both sides are jumping on the ice and there's 25 seconds left on the PP, he's out-producing Byfield on the PP.

Again, this is nothing against Byfield. He's having a good season and good for him.

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012
Plus/minus? That's how you know you're reaching. The most irrelevant stat in hockey.

And the difference in plus minus is pretty simple. Byfield has a very high PDO at 5 on 5 (1034) and Lafreniere has a very low PDO (963). PDO is essentially who is getting lucky and who isn't. And when it's not as simple as that, it's like greatly different quality of offense and defense, like a superstar vs. enforcer.

Of course Byfield has more total points. He plays on his team's first line and first PP. Lafreniere plays on his team's second line and second PP. If you look a little closer, it's close. And I'm taking nothing away from Byfield. Let's just not make it out like he's playing like some superstar and Lafreniere is playing like some bum. Their numbers are close.

Byfield has 15 5 on 5 points and Lafreniere has 13. Lafreniere has 68 shots at 5 on 5 and Byfield has 45. Byfield has an xGF% of 56.3 and Lafreniere is at 53.1%. Relative, Lafreniere is 6.28 and Byfield is -2.74.

Byfield is getting slightly better results at 5 on 5, but better analytic team and more luck. Lafreniere has similar or better underlying.

Byfield has 7 PP points, Lafreniere has 4. Byfield has double the PP time. Frankly, if you consider that difference and then that Lafreniere has worse PP line-mates, and his PP minutes start when the puck is cleared, a new set of players on both sides are jumping on the ice and there's 25 seconds left on the PP, he's out-producing Byfield on the PP.

Again, this is nothing against Byfield. He's having a good season and good for him.

Kids, this is what copium looks like.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018

While I disagree with some of the stuff here it's a good post but Byfeild isn't a full time 1st liner yet he is 7th in ES MPG among LA forwards and 5th among LA forwards in PP TOI.

Maybe they both end up having similar careers stat wise but to Byfield has a dynamic edge over Laf and it looks like he is starting to develop it as well.

I also think that Byfeild has been more consistent so far this year but part of that might be due to the stability and strength of centers in LA comapred to NYR.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
I don't watch enough Lafreniere, but there are a few skills that Byfield has developed exponentially that just don't get quantified adequately.

The broadcast where he beat Hanifin to the puck for an empty net goal reportedly clocked him at 23 mph in skating speed (37km/h for non US). To have that size, athleticism, and speed, he's also a beast on the forecheck.

I'm happy with who the Kings have. Just like I'm sure tha Rangers and Senators are happy with who they have.

Random Comment

Mar 5, 2018
I don't watch enough Lafreniere, but there are a few skills that Byfield has developed exponentially that just don't get quantified adequately.

The broadcast where he beat Hanifin to the puck for an empty net goal reportedly clocked him at 23 mph in skating speed (37km/h for non US). To have that size, athleticism, and speed, he's also a beast on the forecheck.

I'm happy with who the Kings have. Just like I'm sure tha Rangers and Senators are happy with who they have.
It was a highlight reel empty netter.

Reactions: King'sPawn

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.

"nothing against byfield but he's just lucky and getting carried by the 1st line and 1st PP" is some weapons grade bullshit.

Make no mistake, Byfield is the driver on the 1st line. And they're typically facing the toughest matchups because McLellan doesn't have a brain behind the bench to linematch so opponents control the changes AND teams are loading up against the first line since the PLD line is ineffective so they're taking their chances on Danault et. al. beating them.

Kopitar is having a phenomenal year getting tap in goals for the first time in his career. its' clear father time has come for his physical gifts.

Kempe is an excellent two way player but he's struggling.

I think the top 3 draftees are about as close as everyone would have expected at this point at draft day even if they developed differently, but you're reaching some overly sweeping conclusions through analytics and it's clear you either 1. don't watch byfield or 2. do watch byfield and have no problem lying out your ass to make a point. Don't worry, this thread is full of guys just like you, but most of them have backed off on making hot takes.

I know this is a thesis in defense of Lafreniere and I can understand and respect that to some degree but to tear down Byfield in doing so is doing exactly what you're clearly upset about.

"good season and good for him" indeed, merry christmas, sheesh.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.

I have never seen a player eat as much ice as Byfield. Never. Maybe Pronger defensively, but he wasn't the skater Byfield is. Dude can reach any corner of the zone in 1-2 seconds. It's insane and peerless.

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
He is developing nicely. Perhaps he can finish the season with 25 goals and 40+ assists and can repeat/exceed that next season.

Than its time to return to the first pages of this topic to dig up some good old quotes. Pure gold.

Reactions: Ghetty Green

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
"nothing against byfield but he's just lucky and getting carried by the 1st line and 1st PP" is some weapons grade bullshit.

Make no mistake, Byfield is the driver on the 1st line. And they're typically facing the toughest matchups because McLellan doesn't have a brain behind the bench to linematch so opponents control the changes AND teams are loading up against the first line since the PLD line is ineffective so they're taking their chances on Danault et. al. beating them.

Kopitar is having a phenomenal year getting tap in goals for the first time in his career. its' clear father time has come for his physical gifts.

Kempe is an excellent two way player but he's struggling.

I think the top 3 draftees are about as close as everyone would have expected at this point at draft day even if they developed differently, but you're reaching some overly sweeping conclusions through analytics and it's clear you either 1. don't watch byfield or 2. do watch byfield and have no problem lying out your ass to make a point. Don't worry, this thread is full of guys just like you, but most of them have backed off on making hot takes.

I know this is a thesis in defense of Lafreniere and I can understand and respect that to some degree but to tear down Byfield in doing so is doing exactly what you're clearly upset about.

"good season and good for him" indeed, merry christmas, sheesh.
All due respect, you are responding to claims I never made.

I didn’t say he’s getting lucky to have more conducive usage to scoring than Lafreniere. I said he does have that usage. He’s also getting statistically luckier when he’s on the ice with whether pucks go in his net or the opposing net. Don’t confuse the two. I didn’t connect the two to what you are suggesting.

I was responding to someone that specifically brought up plus/minus and points. Well, one of those is explainable by usage and the other by PDO. I don’t find those to be all that’s important to look at, and I explained why.

Don’t know why you are arguing strawmen. I didn’t criticize Byfield. I was responding to a criticism of Lafreniere, and then somehow that gets turned into a criticism of Byfield. I don’t know why, and didn’t criticize Byfield. I complimented the season he’s had multiple times. “Guys like me” are not guys like me. I have my thoughts on Byfield, and you’ll find that I haven’t been putting him down and suggesting he was a bust when it wasn’t going well for him. You are seriously misinterpreting my post, in the most generous light.

Last edited:

Bobby9

Feb 10, 2019

It’s a saying: I got that dog in me.

Relentless, aggressive, non stop energy.

The Real JT

Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss. :(
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
Why the insistence by some that Laf will morph into a star first line player, and a generational one according to some of his predraft chatter?

He’s not a bust but he’s a disappointment relative to predraft expectations. Long term he’s likely a middle 6 winger. Serviceable but not great.

If that draft were redone tomorrow is anyone here picking Laf over Byfield? Stutzle? Lucas Raymond, maybe??

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad