C Quinton Byfield (2020, 2nd, LAK) part IV

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Should be coming back from day-to-day shortly, did score in the first period of his first pro game so hopefully he can get some more action in before the Junior leagues make any decisions!

Reactions: Telos and kilowatt

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Got into the game tonight and got his first official pro assist in the first period.

Dude looked like a monster, got a breakaway, fed a few guys wide open in front, really looked like the go-to guy as he was in Sudbury, could have had a few points but the baby VGK goalie had every one of our top prospects' numbers at least once each tonight.

Completely different player than everyone saw in the WJC.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
So happy that LA didn’t throw him into the NHL just because he’s a top-2 pick. Going to do wonders.

Ontario could use it. Right now, it'd be a wonder for them to win a game. They're 0 and 4 to start the season. :laugh:

Canuck Luck

Jun 15, 2008
Vancouver
how is he eligible for the AHL? I thought the only way was if the player was 20 or had 4 years played in the CHL. Did they amend the rule for this season?

Docgonzo

Triple Crown Line
Jan 9, 2010
Chino, Ca
how is he eligible for the AHL? I thought the only way was if the player was 20 or had 4 years played in the CHL. Did they amend the rule for this season?

He’s eligible until the OHL starts up. Until the OHL starts up all players from OHL can play in AHL regardless of the CHL/NHL agreement.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
It will be such a mess for the players having to cross into Canada, though. After having an extremely late start to a season, they will have to take another two weeks to quarantine( or is it ten days). Unless they are planning to run the season really late that will just kill their momentum, nvm their precious playing time.

I can certainly see the junior teams wanting their star players back, but it's just a bad situation for the players development.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
Ontario could use it. Right now, it'd be a wonder for them to win a game. They're 0 and 4 to start the season. :laugh:

To be fair, Ontario only has two AHL-quality defensemen in Brickley and Durzi. If they had Tobias Bjornfot, Mikey Anderson, Kale Clague, and Austin Strand, who are all with the Kings due to injuries, things might be a little different. If there's one glaring area the Kings need to address, it's depth in goal, too.

Reactions: Osprey

funky

Time for the future. More Byfield and Clarke
Mar 9, 2002
I just hope for development sake Strand and Bjornfot are sent down. I would love Bjornfot at the NHL level but that left side is covered when everyone is heathy.

I just think in order for Byfield and Co to develop properly they need as much time with the puck in the offensive zone as they can get and they need a winning atmosphere. Right now their Defense is atrocious and players are wasting way to much energy trying to make up for their crappy Dman and are not getting the help from the D in the offensive zone to keep the plays going.

Hope Byfield gets stronger over the next month and the Kings say screw it and call him up instead of sending him back to jr.

Reactions: Ghetty Green

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
I just hope for development sake Strand and Bjornfot are sent down. I would love Bjornfot at the NHL level but that left side is covered when everyone is heathy.

I just think in order for Byfield and Co to develop properly they need as much time with the puck in the offensive zone as they can get and they need a winning atmosphere. Right now their Defense is atrocious and players are wasting way to much energy trying to make up for their crappy Dman and are not getting the help from the D in the offensive zone to keep the plays going.

Hope Byfield gets stronger over the next month and the Kings say screw it and call him up instead of sending him back to jr.
Yeah I have to think this is what ends up happening. As much as the Kings are clearly taking it slow with Byfield, given the current situation I feel like they'll ultimately decide it's better to stay in the pros than deal with whatever mess will be involved with getting the OHL back on track.

Reactions: funky

KapG

Dec 2, 2008
Toronto
LA won’t blow a year of Byfield’s contract on this year. Maybe a cup of coffee at most.
Couldn’t you just stretch his cup of coffee across several weeks until the OHL season is finished? Just keep it under the 8 or 9 game limit so as to not burn a year? Once that’s done he just goes back to the AHL? The OHL, especially in a 26 game regular season, doesn’t really do much for his development...does it?

Reactions: funky

Mats26

Vet Movement - What's the Maatta?
Sep 16, 2005
Couldn’t you just stretch his cup of coffee across several weeks until the OHL season is finished? Just keep it under the 8 or 9 game limit so as to not burn a year? Once that’s done he just goes back to the AHL? The OHL, especially in a 26 game regular season, doesn’t really do much for his development...does it?

Playing 8-9 NHL games in ~3 months until the OHL is done won't help his development eithier. I think the Kings will stretch it for as long as they can but I can't see a scenario where he won't return to the OHL unless Kings want to burn a year of his ELC.

Reactions: BigHulkingThickV

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
FWIW I don't think it's the worst thing in the world to burn a year off his ELC IF the best thing is to have him up.

Besides, think of how many ELC players we have of each year, staggering them a bit won't hurt, and his 2nd contract coming early won't hurt either.

Kings are in a situation where they can do the best thing for the player without having to worry so much about contract status.

That being said they're not going to burn it for an extra two games.

funky

Time for the future. More Byfield and Clarke
Mar 9, 2002
Let’s just see if the OHL even gets going. Things are still very much up in the air up here do to the slow roll out of vaccines. Might not hurt for them to keep him down there for a bit and put him in a few games until they see what the OHL is doing.

just wish they would make an exemption for this year allowing those few players that can stay in the AHL to do so. Beets spending a couple of weeks in Quarantine and introducing yourself to a whole new group of players and people. Why take the risk.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

KapG

Dec 2, 2008
Toronto
Playing 8-9 NHL games in ~3 months until the OHL is done won't help his development eithier. I think the Kings will stretch it for as long as they can but I can't see a scenario where he won't return to the OHL unless Kings want to burn a year of his ELC.
Is 26 games, which is their goal, really going to take 3 months though? Wouldn’t one game a week or something while practicing with the big squad maybe be better than going back to the OHL? Idk, I don’t see how a 26 game OHL season is going to help his development.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Is 26 games, which is their goal, really going to take 3 months though? Wouldn’t one game a week or something while practicing with the big squad maybe be better than going back to the OHL? Idk, I don’t see how a 26 game OHL season is going to help his development.

It's not ideal but Playoffs/Memorial cup wouldn't be horrible, he can always go back to the AHL once his season is finished too

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad