C Quinton Byfield (2020, 2nd, LAK) part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
I think the fact that Byfield was often a one man show and any point comparison to Lafreniere or especially Rossi should have an asterisk for that reason but comparing him to a player in a men's league by comparing said player to guys in their early thirties is a backfire comparison. Stutzle should be commended to comparing to those guys rather than be criticized for not putting up their numbers at 17.
Indeed, completely ridiculous.

Read this nonsense a couple of times already.

Not too mention they ignore the fact Stützle played 9-11 games less.

Well done...

Last edited:
Reactions: bert and Samsquanch

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
Why not keep both guys?
Kings could net a first rounder from a team like Buffalo(8th),Minnesota(9th) or NY Rangers(24th) to get themselves a potential scoring winger(Holtz...)...when you have depth at the Centre position like the Kings have you move some assets to improve a area of need! Lets face it the Kings stink on the Wing and need some wholesale changes outside of Kempe...I like Frk and Grundstrom and would like to see a whole season's body of work to determine if they can cut it? I have faith but even then Frk is going to be 27 this year. Iafallo is not top 6 material even though he improved his stats...Kings don't win a Cup or even contend with him as a 1st or 2nd line LWing! Fagemo and Kaliyev have promise but...

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
Stutzle will be more Nik Ehlers than Patrick Kane. If the Kings pass on Byfield they're crazy.
The Kings are not passing on Quinton Byfield the next great Los Angeles Kings centre coming to the Kings very soon all 6-5 and buffed!!!

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
Honestly I still think Byfield(and Stutzle)'s biggest drawback is simply that Lafreniere is in this draft. Having a near-finished product as a near consensus #1 makes people focus on how flawed #2-#3 are instead of how awesome #1 and #2 are. It should be a Hall-Seguin situation with those two, or at least a Hischier-Patrick one. But instead people are talking about all the ways either guy could fail. If Laf wasn't in this draft, what would people be saying?
In my mock I have Strudel sliding to Edmonton at 13th overall so he could be with Draisaitl and McSaviour! Really I don't have much faith in someone that played in the DEL German Pro league and I don't care whether he was 17-18 or 28-38!!!So he skates like the wind so have a tonne of former 1st round flops!!!

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury

Scouching video on Byfield. Basically he likes him a lot, says he's not perfect, but has him ranked at the top of the guys he's scouted the past 2 years, along with Rossi

Wow this needs some serious attention.

Take it from a someone whos watched Byfield a lot (as much as anyone on this site I would almost be sure of) - Im a Sudbury Sens and Wolves fan thats been well aware that Ottawa may have a shot at him for obvious reasons- this is an incredibly accurate breakdown on Qb55. The best and most fair and balanced that Ive seen yet.

Last edited:

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
In my mock I have Strudel sliding to Edmonton at 13th overall so he could be with Draisaitl and McSaviour! Really I don't have much faith in someone that played in the DEL German Pro league and I don't care whether he was 17-18 or 28-38!!!So he skates like the wind so have a tonne of former 1st round flops!!!

There are hot takes, and then there’s Stützle at 13! That’s just wild.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
More like Ehlers...no way he's as good as Ehlers unless you're talking about Heinz Ehlers his Dad!!!
What are you gonna do if L.A drafts him. This could be hilariously embarrassing later on once he potentially plays on your favorite team.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I think one of the interesting things from this year is how all the top scorers led their teams by so much. Byfield, Rossi, Perfetti, Jarvis, Laf. Usually you get more guys like Zary who put up good numbers but have teammates in the same realm. The other guys all led their teams by like 20-30 points which I think Yakupov is the most recent guy to do that and flop.

So even though OHL scoring was inflated this year it's still really impressive that those 3 scored as much as they did., but like you said its most impressive for byfield given the supporting cast.

Its hard to compare Stutzle and comment on how he did in terms of points because it's not a path we see often. But I think the other user's point is that we see people say "Stutzle put up 34 points in 41 games against men!" when its lacking context. Sure in most other pro leagues that would be very good, but it wasn't like he was dominant in a pro league. He was 6th or 7th on his team. Not saying saying this is good or bad, just that there's not much context, and his point total probably shouldnt be used in his favor or against him.
Former NHLers in that league and when you compare his season to all past teenagers its the best anyone has ever had. Of course there is context. Then when you actually watch the games instead of only looking at stats you can see the electric talent. Some of these arguments to bring him down are awful.

Reactions: MrGuyPerson and HzH

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
That Drouin pick...he was highly regarded, but add him to the list of high draft picks who have underwhelmed.

I think the most shocking pick in that top 3 was Barkov going 2nd, not the Drouin pick. Has turned out just fine for Florida.

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
authockeytxreports.wordpress.com
I'll be honest. When I first saw his highlights over a year ago I was worried. Because my impression of the direction of the game at that time was that it was not trending in a direction that favored players like him. For a couple years at least the conversation had been trending towards small ball and people are very quick these days to rag on big men picked high in the draft. Which is legitimately sad for me, because I love players like him. But in intervening period a lot has changed. Of course STL won the cup last year, and this year basically all the small ball teams got taken out early and the final four is basically a who's who of big, nasty lineups. I love that. Even tonight's game Tampa vs NYI, old time hockey from the drop of the puck. 3 times players tried to fight (although only one was assessed the fighting major), almost 100 hits, and Tampa won because they got 24 shot blocks.

I haven't been keeping up too much with this thread, but I saw someone mention hockey IQ. I'll just say this. Every big man gets labeled with "hockey IQ" issues because of the way hockey IQ is defined in the modern era. Bigger players lack acceleration, even though they can have good top speeds, so even though they may recognize gaps in coverage at the same speed, they will not reach the gap at the same speed. That is kinda an inevitable fact about physiology. Another is that it's harder for bigger players to leverage their sticks. You can do the physics, see how much control you have if you're holding the end of a 1 foot stick vs a 3 foot stick vs a 10 foot stick. So you may see an opening, but the process of changing the position of the puck from one side to another or the process of moving your posture from one configuration to another may take longer, and because of that it is more difficult to take advantage of the same opportunities. That's why whenever conversations about best hockey IQ come up it's always Crosby, or Kane, or Marner, or Giroux. No mentions of Matthews or Ovechkin or Wheeler or Malkin. And no one would deny that those players have great hockey IQ, but they'll never be the first names that come to your mind when you think of that term, and that's just due to the way we define the term "hockey IQ". But of course size has its advantages that can, in some people's minds, compensate for the weaknesses that it causes. So a lot of what is valued depends on what you value, and the state of the game at the time the player is picked.

Tim Stutzle...let's just put it this way. If Byfield became a player like Malkin. And Stutzle became a player like Marner. Who do you want on your team? Where the game is headed, I'd take Byfield no questions asked.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I'll be honest. When I first saw his highlights over a year ago I was worried. Because my impression of the direction of the game at that time was that it was not trending in a direction that favored players like him. For a couple years at least the conversation had been trending towards small ball and people are very quick these days to rag on big men picked high in the draft. Which is legitimately sad for me, because I love players like him. But in intervening period a lot has changed. Of course STL won the cup last year, and this year basically all the small ball teams got taken out early and the final four is basically a who's who of big, nasty lineups. I love that. Even tonight's game Tampa vs NYI, old time hockey from the drop of the puck. 3 times players tried to fight (although only one was assessed the fighting major), almost 100 hits, and Tampa won because they got 24 shot blocks.

I haven't been keeping up too much with this thread, but I saw someone mention hockey IQ. I'll just say this. Every big man gets labeled with "hockey IQ" issues because of the way hockey IQ is defined in the modern era. Bigger players lack acceleration, even though they can have good top speeds, so even though they may recognize gaps in coverage at the same speed, they will not reach the gap at the same speed. That is kinda an inevitable fact about physiology. Another is that it's harder for bigger players to leverage their sticks. You can do the physics, see how much control you have if you're holding the end of a 1 foot stick vs a 3 foot stick vs a 10 foot stick. So you may see an opening, but the process of changing the position of the puck from one side to another or the process of moving your posture from one configuration to another may take longer, and because of that it is more difficult to take advantage of the same opportunities. That's why whenever conversations about best hockey IQ come up it's always Crosby, or Kane, or Marner, or Giroux. No mentions of Matthews or Ovechkin or Wheeler or Malkin. And no one would deny that those players have great hockey IQ, but they'll never be the first names that come to your mind when you think of that term, and that's just due to the way we define the term "hockey IQ". But of course size has its advantages that can, in some people's minds, compensate for the weaknesses that it causes. So a lot of what is valued depends on what you value, and the state of the game at the time the player is picked.

Tim Stutzle...let's just put it this way. If Byfield became a player like Malkin. And Stutzle became a player like Marner. Who do you want on your team? Where the game is headed, I'd take Byfield no questions asked.
Why did you decide to use the best possible outcome for Byfield and not the best possible outcome for Stutzle. Stutzle ideally plays center and its very likely to at the NHL level.

Reactions: Rorschach

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013

What kind of weird rant is this? There are plenty of big guys who are seen as high IQ players. Just look at last year and Kirby Dach. Or Vilardi, or Draisaitl, or Strome, or Thornton.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
What kind of weird rant is this? There are plenty of big guys who are seen as high IQ players. Just look at last year and Kirby Dach. Or Vilardi, or Draisaitl, or Strome, or Thornton.

Or the comment about the lack of acceleration? Byfield's straight ahead speed and skating acceleration are very good, not just for a player his size, but for any player in the OHL.

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
authockeytxreports.wordpress.com
Why did you decide to use the best possible outcome for Byfield and not the best possible outcome for Stutzle. Stutzle ideally plays center and its very likely to at the NHL level.
Haha ok. I pulled up LastWord's comparable for both. So if you're looking for some selection process that will show my bias...good luck.

Or the comment about the lack of acceleration? Byfield's straight ahead speed and skating acceleration are very good, not just for a player his size, but for any player in the OHL.
I didn't say he didn't have good acceleration compared to juniors. If his acceleration was not good compared to juniors he would not be an elite prospect...

They are seen as high hockey IQ guys but they are not seen as the guys with the highest hockey IQ. Reread. On the topic of the 4 players I mentioned I wrote "no one would deny they have great hockey IQ", you just listed 4 more examples of the same thing. But when people are asked who the players with the best hockey IQ are, they are not these players.

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
Haha ok. I pulled up LastWord's comparable for both. So if you're looking for some selection process that will show my bias...good luck.

I didn't say he didn't have good acceleration compared to juniors. If his acceleration was not good compared to juniors he would not be an elite prospect...

They are seen as high hockey IQ guys but they are not seen as the guys with the highest hockey IQ. Reread. On the topic of the 4 players I mentioned I wrote "no one would deny they have great hockey IQ", you just listed 4 more examples of the same thing. But when people are asked who the players with the best hockey IQ are, they are not these players.

Thorton is definitely considered one of the highest hockey IQs of his era.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
I don't see the Kings brass making that mistake. Byfield will be the Leon Draisaitl of this draft.
I would bet a lot of money that won't happen. They aren't even similar players, Draistil was underrated because his skating was absolutely atrocious. He has much higher IQ than Byfield they aren't even comparable play style players. Are you comparing them because they are both big and going early in the draft because that's about all they have in common.

Last edited:

BlackEye from Xhekaj

Mar 11, 2011

I see Stutzle more as a ply driving winger at the NHL level. Like Barzal on the wing. I think he'll be such a fun offensive player, I just think his game will translate better as a W with less defensive responsibilities that come with being a C.

Reactions: Luckylarry

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
I see Stutzle more as a ply driving winger at the NHL level. Like Barzal on the wing. I think he'll be such a fun offensive player, I just think his game will translate better as a W with less defensive responsibilities that come with being a C.
Barzel would be a fantastic player. I think that’s too high a ceiling for Stutzel.
Byfield has an extremely high ceiling. likely the highest ceiling of any player in this draft. Kings would be making a big mistake not drafting Byfield.

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
What are you gonna do if L.A drafts him. This could be hilariously embarrassing later on once he potentially plays on your favorite team.
Do you want to put down like 100 US dollars that the Kings will draft Byfield...there is no Strudel within 1000 KM's of LA taking even a sniff...of all the top 10 picks in 2020 he's got bust written all over him

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad