C Quinton Byfield (2020, 2nd, LAK) part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
Yeah, Kings have three potential 1C’s in Byfield, Turcotte, and Vilardi, and one actual 1C in Kopitar.
Fair to assume that in reality Turcotte will probably shift to the wing?

Not comparing the players, but the Leafs had Matthews, Nylander and Marner all drafted around the same time, with all three considered C's to a certain extent. Matthews was 100% always a C, Marner and Nylander I believe played it a bit before being drafted (drafted as C/RW) and were shifted to the wings in the NHL given that the Leafs had Kadri and then Matthews.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
Fair to assume that in reality Turcotte will probably shift to the wing?

Most likely, and possibly Vilardi too. The Kings had a lot of success with throwing two centers on a line and having them take faceoffs on their strong side. They did that with Kopitar, Carter, Richards, and Stoll on many occasions.

Turcotte - Kopitar - Kaliyev
Fagemo - Byfield - Vilardi

Something like this, I would imagine.

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
Yeah, Kings have three potential 1C’s in Byfield, Turcotte, and Vilardi, and one actual 1C in Kopitar.

I think we have like 3 prospects that are legitimate for each of the four center positions...that's a bit crazy. People want to argue that their Sens or their Rangers have the best prospect pool and yet they have a big donut in their pool/organization for 1C prospects, and 1C is the most important position if you want to build a true contender.

I really hope all three pan out for the Kings and we keep all three. It would be hilarious to have a Crosby/Malkin, Yzerman/Fedorov, Sakic/Forsberg thing going. It would also be funny to have old-man Kopitar as our 4C (like three years from now). Turcotte could be our JP Pageau type, causing bad mismatches in the playoffs. As he has a motor to be a great bottom-sixer but has top six skill, matching up against other teams' 3C/4C.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
I think we have like 3 prospects that are legitimate for each of the four center positions...that's a bit crazy. People want to argue that their Sens or their Rangers have the best prospect pool and yet they have a big donut in their pool/organization for 1C prospects, and 1C is the most important position if you want to build a true contender.

I really hope all three pan out for the Kings and we keep all three. It would be hilarious to have a Crosby/Malkin, Yzerman/Fedorov, Sakic/Forsberg thing going. It would also be funny to have old-man Kopitar as our 4C (like three years from now). Turcotte could be our JP Pageau type, causing bad mismatches in the playoffs. As he has a motor to be a great bottom-sixer but has top six skill, matching up against other teams' 3C/4C.

Yeah, the Kings have a number of bottom six centers that could be really good too. Akil Thomas, Jaret Anderson-Dolan, Lias Andersson, Aidan Dudas, and a few question marks in Rasmus Kupari and Tyler Madden.

In a couple years, third-line shutdown center Anze Kopitar is likely a reality, too.

Rorschach

Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
I'm really liking the Martin Chromiak pick. He's a dynamic sniper and playmaker left winger for Shane Wright in Kingston. He often makes entry zone passes to Wright to unleash him with steam upon the poor goalie. Just replace Wright with Byfield.

Reactions: kilowatt

Rorschach

Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
Yeah, the Kings have a number of bottom six centers that could be really good too. Akil Thomas, Jaret Anderson-Dolan, Lias Andersson, Aidan Dudas, and a few question marks in Rasmus Kupari and Tyler Madden.

In a couple years, third-line shutdown center Anze Kopitar is likely a reality, too.

I like to put gravy on my gravy. :D

Reactions: kilowatt

Sting

Feb 8, 2004
Clearly you guys need us to keep your buzz going.

It's just gotten weird at this point - like an obsession. I don't get why fans can't be happy about the prospects of other teams.

Ottawa fans are thrilled to have Stutzle. My #2 in this year's draft.

Looking forward to seeing Byfield develop. He's gonna kill the OHL this year.

Reactions: OUTHOUSE

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
It's just gotten weird at this point - like an obsession. I don't get why fans can't be happy about the prospects of other teams.

Maybe it was all the mockery and outright rudeness, especially from the poster who claimed he was in the room for an important phone call...hell, you yourself said you were gonna laugh at us.

Just a little shocked it fell completely silent is all when there were some...strong...opinions on him before. It's hard not to be enamored with the careers of both guys as they grow. As different as could be in style but as close as can be in raw talent, I don't think this is one of those cases where you just ignore the nearby picks, after watching so much footage of both it's like satisfying every hockey craving one could have. And I'm glad both have been using this time to be productive and grow, I'm excited to see what Byfield in particular can do against opponents more generally his size. I wonder if that hunched-over issue corrects itself as he's allowed to stand upright to give and take hits, especially now with 10 more pounds of muscle...

Reactions: Little Psycho

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Any idea what LA's plans are for him?

The Q has been playing games for over a month, the WHL just announced a start date, but nothing is really known about the OHL atm.

I would imagine he will be at the WJC unless NHL training camps are at the same time.

Rorschach

Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
Any idea what LA's plans are for him?

The Q has been playing games for over a month, the WHL just announced a start date, but nothing is really known about the OHL atm.

I would imagine he will be at the WJC unless NHL training camps are at the same time.

I think a lot of us are wondering the same thing...and not sure what would be best. The OHL just sounds pointless for his development if they don't allow any physical contact. But I believe we all agree we want him to go through some sort of camp and play every day, to not let his development stall. But if not the OHL (and not AHL, apparently he's too young to join that league), can we bring him all the way to the NHL or do we have some other good option?

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I imagine NHL camp/WJC/finish juniors

But judging by Turcotte, they may want him close at hand for development reasons too. 2020 is strange so I think it's gonna be pretty fluid. But I do think they want him in LA to start the year to give him 'assignments' so to speak.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Why don't the Kings sign him and loan him to a decent pro league like Liiga? SHL/KHL might be harder to get icetime but at least in a league like Liiga/NLA he can be recalled when NHL training camps open up and he won't lose too much development time.

Reactions: PittsburghHustlers

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
Why don't the Kings sign him and loan him to a decent pro league like Liiga? SHL/KHL might be harder to get icetime but at least in a league like Liiga/NLA he can be recalled when NHL training camps open up and he won't lose too much development time.

Do you think playing/practicing on international ice is ideal for developing a NA game? Honest question.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Do you think playing/practicing on international ice is ideal for developing a NA game? Honest question.

" International ice " hardly exists anymore in Europe the way it used to, most of Liiga and KHL switched to hybrid sized ice surfaces or traditional NA sized ice surfaces. Also said Liiga because Finnish league is one of if not the most physical pro league in Europe, unless you prefer him to play video games at home in the winter of course

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
" International ice " hardly exists anymore in Europe the way it used to, most of Liiga and KHL switched to hybrid sized ice surfaces or traditional NA sized ice surfaces. Also said Liiga because Finnish league is one of if not the most physical pro league in Europe, unless you prefer him to play video games at home in the winter of course

Depends. Does he have a PS4? You know his handle? I could teach him how to lose gracefully.

I kid.

I was not aware of the changes so that's why I asked. Probably because the ice surface in the KHL looks massive.

And you're right about Liiga being more physical.

Reactions: wings5

JungleBeat

Sep 10, 2016
Canada

No, most Sens fans were obsessed trying to tell Kings fans what to expect during the draft.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.

It sounds like they're pretty happy with his summer so far, and that seems like a lot of effort to send the guy across the globe for a handful of games in a foreign men's league before he even reports to his nhl drafted team for the first time before he goes back and plays juniors.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Supposedly up to 6'4" 3/4 and 222lbs after this summer with Gary Roberts and skating with McDavid et. al.

That's a big f***ing 18 year old, I'm beyond stoked.

Yes. But conversely he's been too much man playing with kids, from here on it's not going to be like that anymore. Steamrolling through NHL defenses won't work the same even with that frame. He'll have more adjusting to do with Roberts & co. than many of his peers.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Wallet Inspector

Jan 19, 2013
Stutzle?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad