C Otto Somppi - Halifax Mooseheads, QMJHL (2016, 206th, TBL)

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Played in his first QMJHL game last night for the Mooseheads. Finished with 1 goal, 2 assists and a +1 rating in a 3-4 loss to Charlottetown Islanders.

edguy

Feb 5, 2014
Charlottetown, PEI
watch for this guy to shoot up the rankings as Halifax's euros have lately (AKA Meier and Ehlers) He will probably be Meier's centerman this year

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
Published on Sep 12, 2015
Halifax Moosheads forward Otto Somppi was the 3rd Star in his QMJHL debut with the Halifax Mooseheads. The 17 year old Finnish draft eligible player had 3 points including his 1st goal in the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League. Watch highlights of the goal and Somppi discusses his performance in the 4-3 (SO) loss to Charlottetown Islanders.

P0LiUM

Apr 16, 2012
Halifax
Not going to happen, Somppi just doesn't have enough skill to be a high pick like that.

I won't argue, as you're probably more familiar with him than I am. I will, however, mention that many people would have said the same of Meier coming into the Q, and even after his draft -1 year. You never know.

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
I won't argue, as you're probably more familiar with him than I am. I will, however, mention that many people would have said the same of Meier coming into the Q, and even after his draft -1 year. You never know.

Yeah, was pretty sure the highest Meier would rise to was 3rd round. You never know.

Tormentor

Dec 27, 2007
Too Far
Like Rantanen or Aho am i right? I think you are wrong here again.
It's true that I didn't think much of Rantanen at first, but he was still a clear-cut top Finn for me over a year before the 2015 draft. I was wrong about Aho and I admit that, it was a huge surprise for me to see him going as high as he did.

Since you are so certain that I'll be wrong about Somppi, what qualities in his game do you think make him a top-10 pick like Ehlers and Meier? Please educate me, maybe there's a chance that my success ratio could improve from 3,8% to something slightly better. ;)

BusQuets

Jul 16, 2010
It's true that I didn't think much of Rantanen at first, but he was still a clear-cut top Finn for me over a year before the 2015 draft. I was wrong about Aho and I admit that, it was a huge surprise for me to see him going as high as he did.

Since you are so certain that I'll be wrong about Somppi, what qualities in his game do you think make him a top-10 pick like Ehlers and Meier? Please educate me, maybe there's a chance that my success ratio could improve from 3,8% to something slightly better. ;)

I misread i thought we were talking about Somppi being possible 1st round pick. Yeah he's not gonna be top10.

Tormentor

Dec 27, 2007
Too Far
I misread i thought we were talking about Somppi being possible 1st round pick. Yeah he's not gonna be top10.
Just my opinion, and I could certainly be wrong, but I don't see Somppi as a potential 1st round pick. His puck skills aren't high-end and he doesn't make up for it by being a truly special talent in other aspects of the game either.

My view is that Laine, Juolevi, Puljujärvi and Niemeläinen are the Finns with a chance of going in the 1st round this year. I think there's a big gap to the next grouping after these guys.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
I've only seen a little bit of Somppi but he strikes me more as a 2nd/3rd round pick. Considering the overall strength of this draft I wouldn't be surprised to see him somewhere late in the 2nd or early in the 3rd. Obviously a lot of things can change between now and the end of the season but that's how I see it right now. He'd have to have a really spectacular year to get into 1st round territory IMO.

whlscowt

I watched both games this weekend in an attempt to see how the team looked without Meier.

I haven't seen enough of the 2016 class outside of the WHL, so I can't comment on Somppi's chances of being a first rounder. But I will say this, Ducharme has a way of turning his teams best players into stars that NHL teams covet. Somppi looked good in game 1, but struggled a bit in game 2. If he and Meier demonstrate some chemistry, I wouldn't bet against him being a first round consideration.

PorkChopSandwiches

Oct 31, 2011
One thing to remember about Sommpi is that he is coming into the league with a much more developed skillset than Meier did, but he is also in his draft year as a rookie and without the benefit of getting 2 years of CHL pre-draft, so those things may temper his expected value.

bigdirty

Mar 11, 2010
Three assist for Somppi tonight. Off to a good start in the Q with 6 points in his first 4 games.

FinPanda

Team Finland 2022 WHC champions
Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
He has had good season so far, with injuries and everything. Looks like he is quite alone in the Halifax now so I hope he can produce.

jabes

Jul 3, 2013
Halifax, NS
Yeah I'd say mid-late 2nd at best unless he really impresses at top prospects game. Won't get a whole lot of other exposure the rest of the year on a weak Moosehead team. Doesn't do anything spectacular, but plays a solid overall game. Hard worker and not afraid to get dirty. Seems to be scoring clutch goals lately. He and Fortier playing on top line should only help each other look better for upcoming draft. I agree that he could end up improving a lot like Timo did, but his second season will be after the draft so it will only be beneficial to the team that drafts him. Right now I'd draft Fortier over Somppi but he's new to the league so opinion could change as time goes.

Stephen23

Aug 22, 2009
Halifax, NS
He may not have had the most impressive year. But likely a gamble worth taking especially this late in the draft. With my Mooseheads bias I was hoping the Leafs would take a flyer on him in the later rounds.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad