Prospect Info: C Noah Ostlund, 16th Overall, 2022 NHL Draft, Assigned to Rochester 4.17.24

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
We don’t say anything until our King Kris Baker tweets it out

Eh, sometimes people say things and it's like talking into the void. Or a reminder of the dysfunction of being a fan of this team. Or both.

(Kris also invests in ways to watch and screen capture games that don't involve the possibility of contracting every bit of malware on the face of the internet, and for that I thank him.)

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
Eh, sometimes people say things and it's like talking into the void. Or a reminder of the dysfunction of being a fan of this team. Or both.

(Kris also invests in ways to watch and screen capture games that don't involve the possibility of contracting every bit of malware on the face of the internet, and for that I thank him.)
I also think people on this specific subforum are just tired of talking about prospects lol

Faceboner

Jan 6, 2022
Get ready. This kid is for real.
A year in Rochester should benefit him also allows us to break in kulich and/or savoie. Let him simmer and get him appropriated for NA ice along with 1c duties and maybe have savoie do a year in Rochester as well and keep up the trend of duos, who knows maybe we keep Rosen next year and they are the most dominate line

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
Playoffs will be the first really big indicator of his readiness as a prospect. I often think good two way players are brought over too early to na before they find their scoring touch. Now Rochester has proven it's a good environment to find that scoring touch anyway.

If he's a big part of Växjö's run to the championship I think he should be in Rochester to prepare for the NHL. If he's "just" good another year in the SHL I'd let him stew for one more year.

Faceboner

Jan 6, 2022
Playoffs will be the first really big indicator of his readiness as a prospect. I often think good two way players are brought over too early to na before they find their scoring touch. Now Rochester has proven it's a good environment to find that scoring touch anyway.

If he's a big part of Växjö's run to the championship I think he should be in Rochester to prepare for the NHL. If he's "just" good another year in the SHL I'd let him stew for one more year.
He always was a highly skilled player now the skill is translating into points hopefully we can further nurture that progression and help him round out his game more and could maybe turn into a 45 point 2 way 3c

HOOats

NO DOOM NO GLOOM
Nov 19, 2007
City of Buffalo
He always was a highly skilled player now the skill is translating into points hopefully we can further nurture that progression and help him round out his game more and could maybe turn into a 45 point 2 way 3c
To me a 45-point two-way 3C is his likely NHL outcome at the moment unless he busts due to size or injury. The ceiling to be nurtured is a PPG two-way 1/2C, like Mitts. His WJC and subsequent January were productive, flashy, and polished, reinforcing the upside in my hopeful mind.

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC

5. Noah Östlund, C, 19 (Vaxjo Lakers HC)
Östlund’s calling card is his airy, agile skating stride; excellent hands; cleverness and committed two-way game. The skating and defensive aptitude (including on faceoffs) make him an able penalty killer and the rest give him clear tools of creation at five-on-five and on the power play. He wins a ton of short races, creates quickly as soon as he’s in possession, and darts around the ice in control to get into scoring areas or facilitate from the perimeter. His lack of size and strength (he’s a lean 5-foot-11 and 160-something pounds) are likely going to be impediments as he tries to progress into the NHL but I thought they’d make his jump to the SHL this year a little more challenging than it has been too and he has basically looked exactly like himself. He’s also got the benefit of time, his skating and the fondness coaches have for him to fall back on.

He’s silky smooth in possession and a superb puck transporter through neutral ice. He’s got a slippery quality that few players have, the puck just sticks to him in tight coverage, and he is a catalyst on his line in a variety of ways. He’s a nifty little player. Some scouts worry about whether he’ll be able to get to the inside/hold his own physically along the wall in the NHL (he has never scored a ton) but his approach and skating should help mitigate against that. I like him a lot. The flow. The work ethic. The ability to hang onto it or play in quick give-and-gos. His stick on steals. The changes of directions and cutbacks. There’s a lot to like. He has and holds the puck a lot, he’s so shifty in possession side-stepping defenders or turning them on angles, and even though he doesn’t always produce something out of his natural playmaking game because he’s still missing that finishing strength, he’s noticeable and making plays nonetheless. The stops and starts and how quickly and tightly he turns really make him hard to get a handle on and have helped him escape the cycle really well against bigger competition. He’s got skill and he can be a driver. I’m fascinated to see what he can become. If he can add enough muscle to get by without slowing him down, there’s real appeal there as a potential top-nine secondary play-creator.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad