C Nathan Noel (2016, 113rd, CHI; traded to PHI)

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
picked 3rd by SJ? I'm assuming he's going to report?

anyone want to comment on him re development and where he projects re 2015 draft (obviously, premaure discussion).

i assume still top 10? .. is he top 5?

as an aside...how tall is he *really* right now?

I don't think he is a top 10 prospect for the 2015. First round guy, but I don't think he is top 10 unless he really wows people the next two years.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I like Nathan a lot. I think he could turn into a real nice player. From what I saw of him he didnt seem too far below Mackinnon in skillset at their respective ages.

I dont understand why he went 3rd overall as I just see him more skilled then others apparently, and yes he is a legit top 10 pick right now for the 2015 draft, no damn doubt about it.

Good kid with a good family, wish him the best of luck as I like cheering for some of these classy Canuck kids like Toews and Mackinnon who come through US programs for a few years to develope.

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
is it in the United States?

Do they not have programs?

thanks for your contribution.

The location of the program has nothing to do with it. It's the fact that it's a school designed for athletes and has people on the ice 5-7 days a week. It's not a reflection of the US Hockey program, it's a reflection of the school itself. You could move that school ~600km north and the talent that goes in and out will be the exact same as long as the school doesn't change it's approach.

Last edited by a moderator:

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
The location of the program has nothing to do with it. It's the fact that it's a school designed for athletes and has people on the ice 5-7 days a week. It's not a reflection of the US Hockey program, it's a reflection of the school itself. You could move that school ~600km north and the talent that goes in and out will be the exact same as long as the school doesn't change it's approach.

I know what you are saying, and agree somewhat, but if SSM was in Canada, it would have more than 2 guys from Canada playing for them, as it did this year.

It is a predominant American hockey program. Located in U.S, filled with 85%+ American kids from year to year.

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
Still sour he didn't go first overall lol he's a much better player than people gave him credit for.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Off to a great start in Saint John on a young team. 5 goals and 2 assists in 9 games is a great start for a 16 year old. Easily the most talented player on the team.

scoutman1

Twitter - scoutman33
Feb 19, 2005
www.facebook.com
Still sour he didn't go first overall lol he's a much better player than people gave him credit for.

it was because of a few things played against him...he played in Shattuck, most teams do not spend a lot of money scouting outside the main midget leagues, a guy like Noel i know our team the head scout and GM went once to watch him and it was a two day tournament that Noel and Picco's agent (they have the same agent) put on where they were both on the same Shattuck team so the Q scouts could see them in two games and i know Noel had a terrible two games...now a team like Quebec with a bigger budget might go a few times to go down and see them a lot more.......his size and lack of viewing was making him drop a bit in the draft. This also shows how one game does not show how a player plays....even at the all state Noel was not all that great at all there and people watching thought he was terrible.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
it was because of a few things played against him...he played in Shattuck, most teams do not spend a lot of money scouting outside the main midget leagues, a guy like Noel i know our team the head scout and GM went once to watch him and it was a two day tournament that Noel and Picco's agent (they have the same agent) put on where they were both on the same Shattuck team so the Q scouts could see them in two games and i know Noel had a terrible two games...now a team like Quebec with a bigger budget might go a few times to go down and see them a lot more.......his size and lack of viewing was making him drop a bit in the draft. This also shows how one game does not show how a player plays....even at the all state Noel was not all that great at all there and people watching thought he was terrible.

Was this two years ago? Noel played Prep and Picco played U-16 last year? Did you mean their agent had Picco put on the Prep team for two games? I am just confused by some of the wording, so I am not sure what you mean.

scoutman1

Twitter - scoutman33
Feb 19, 2005
www.facebook.com
Was this two years ago? Noel played Prep and Picco played U-16 last year? Did you mean their agent had Picco put on the Prep team for two games? I am just confused by some of the wording, so I am not sure what you mean.

their agent is Norm Conway from Octagone......im not sure exact how they ran it because all who went down for it was head scouts and GM's im really not sure all i know is Norm set things up so Noel and Picco were playing on the same team for this showcase so scouts could come down and see both of them play....when my head scout came back he told me right off, Noel played ok but was not great and Picco was not good at all lacking hockey sense.

I know Norm set it up because teams were not going to invest money to go down to see Noel and then set up another trip to watch Picco.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
Have only been able to catch him a couple of times on partially-watched games - thought he looked good, but didn't get a large 'viewing sample'.

His stats line is fine so far for a rookie - 17gp, 6g, 4a, 10 pts.

anyone who has seen him a lot have any comments?

I noticed that his +/- is -6. +/- is a bad stat - but is there anything worrisome about his defense (for a 16 yr old)?

PorkChopSandwiches

Oct 31, 2011
Have only been able to catch him a couple of times on partially-watched games - thought he looked good, but didn't get a large 'viewing sample'.

His stats line is fine so far for a rookie - 17gp, 6g, 4a, 10 pts.

anyone who has seen him a lot have any comments?

I noticed that his +/- is -6. +/- is a bad stat - but is there anything worrisome about his defense (for a 16 yr old)?

Ive only seen him 3 times this year (2 via stream ) and my only comments defensively would be for him to win more faceoffs and be a little more intense in his support to the D. I think the game is slightly faster than he is defensively, its not that he is blatantly out of position. Offensively if he has room, he is gone. My opinion is that his adjustment to the league is almost over as the game i saw last night he looked much better than the first game i saw.

db56

May 19, 2013
novascotia
i seen him play for the first time saturday vs the mooseheads and the kid is a good had a goal and 2 assest.

Breakfast of Champs

Apr 15, 2007
Was the Sea Dogs best player on Saturday. Seems to be a dynamic offensive talent, and is getting lots of ice time and pp on a bad team this year. A bit undersized but he doesn't seem to mind the physical game.

Apparently he isn't afraid to fight either as he dropped the gloves with this past Q draft's 1st overall pick Nicolas Roy who has a 6 inch height advantage on him:

http://www.hockeyfights.com/fights/118768

NateTheGr8

Aug 17, 2012
Canada
I've played with him, his speed in a straight line is average, but his quickness is unbelievable. Like if you had him race someone else in the Q up and down the ice, it would be very close... But if you had them zig zag between pylons he would beat the other guy flat out.

He has good shot accuracy and really good hand eye. His passing is solid and he has silky hands. His toedrag is unbelievable.

His defense is lacking, he seems a bit slow on defense and on draws. But in the offensive zone he is a constant threat. He has a very high intensity level and works like a dog, he wants the puck more than anyone on the ice. He has good hockey IQ too, maybe not as high as McDavids but its still good!

If he works on his defense he will come out as the best pick of the draft. IMO if he was 6' or 6'1 he would have gotten picked first over Roy.

He dropped the mitts with Roy and absolutely man-handled him even though Roy is 6" taller than him!

Comparing him to Nate MacKinnon is a good comparison. The 2015 NHL draft will be a deep draft in the forward category. If you want another comparison I would probably compare him to a Brendan Gallagher with less defense and more offense.

PorkChopSandwiches

Oct 31, 2011
Was the Sea Dogs best player on Saturday. Seems to be a dynamic offensive talent, and is getting lots of ice time and pp on a bad team this year. A bit undersized but he doesn't seem to mind the physical game.

Apparently he isn't afraid to fight either as he dropped the gloves with this past Q draft's 1st overall pick Nicolas Roy who has a 6 inch height advantage on him:

http://www.hockeyfights.com/fights/118768

yeah i cant believe i missed this game. awesome Tilt too.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Saw him tonight playing for Atlantic against Czech Republic at the U17. He had 4 points in a 5-2 win and was clearly a step up from everyone else on the ice. Even had a beautiful shorthanded goal where he made the Czech defence and goaltender look completely out of their depth.

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
Saw him tonight playing for Atlantic against Czech Republic at the U17. He had 4 points in a 5-2 win and was clearly a step up from everyone else on the ice. Even had a beautiful shorthanded goal where he made the Czech defence and goaltender look completely out of their depth.

*U17 Exhibition game

just in case anyone thought they missed the start of it lol it starts tomorrow at 1PM EST

wishywashy19

Dec 14, 2011

He was lights out the best player on the ice.
Great set of wheels and plays both ends of the ice.

jabes

Jul 3, 2013
Halifax, NS
Haven't seen Noel do anything exciting in the few games I've seen him play for SJ this year. I find Sprong for Charlottetown shows more skill and works harder to actually get his hands on the puck. Maybe next year he will get a better chance to display himself.

Brandel*

He looked really good this weekend for SJ. 2+2 in 2 games. He has always been a good skater but he looked a lot faster than I remember him being last season. Interested in seeing how he performs this year and where he falls in the 2015 class. Seems to sort of be a wild card.

Plastic Joseph

Unregistered User
Mar 21, 2014
He looked really good this weekend for SJ. 2+2 in 2 games. He has always been a good skater but he looked a lot faster than I remember him being last season. Interested in seeing how he performs this year and where he falls in the 2015 class. Seems to sort of be a wild card.

I wouldn't say so, personally I think he has been progressing as a top prospect should and will likely be selected in the 1st round.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad