C Nathan Noel (2016, 113rd, CHI; traded to PHI)

Plastic Joseph

Unregistered User
Mar 21, 2014
This is pretty nuts, he could be the next Garland. Maybe not to the same extent, but he is on the smaller side and could be due to explode offensively next season.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
It blows my mind, there were obviously tons of scouts watching him, 7 of his team mates were drafted. I don't know, maybe I don't know hockey like I thought I did but he was far and away their best forward. It wasn't even close.

Brandel*

How often do players who attend the CHL Top Prospects game go undrafted?

Plastic Joseph

Unregistered User
Mar 21, 2014
How often do players who attend the CHL Top Prospects game go undrafted?

Andrew Ryan from the Mooseheads is the only recent other I can think of off the top of my head, but there could be others.

U18 for Canada and top prospects game? I assume not many

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Absolutely puzzling to me that a team wouldn't even take a 7th round flyer on this guy. Especially as others mentioned, half the rest of his team was drafted.

Must have been some really horrendous interviews, or concerns of that nature. Really shocking still, that Hockey Canada would take such an apparently "toxic" player to the U18s. Just weird.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
That's a big fall for a player who 3 years ago was ranked right up there with the likes of McDavid and Barzal...

but nothing like a good kick in the ass to kick start an attitude adjustment. not the end of the world.

but hey, Andong Song is a better prospect! right on!

Last edited:

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
Wait can he be signed by the Ducks during camp or does he have to re-enter draft, I am confuse

There is a window during the offseason where teams can sign undrafted North American players to an ELC. If the player isn't signed during that window, he goes back into the draft next year.

Last year, Joe Hicketts went undrafted but then signed an ELC with the Red Wings.

alcolol

Aug 12, 2014
Dallas
There is a window during the offseason where teams can sign undrafted North American players to an ELC. If the player isn't signed during that window, he goes back into the draft next year.

Last year, Joe Hicketts went undrafted but then signed an ELC with the Red Wings.

Do you know when that window opens and closes?

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
Wait can he be signed by the Ducks during camp or does he have to re-enter draft, I am confuse

I could be wrong, but I do believe he can now be signed since he has gone through the draft process once.

Do you know when that window opens and closes?
Yeah, Noel can sign with anyone since he: (a) went through the draft once, (b) was under the age of 20 at that time, and (c) played his full prior season in North America. His ELC would just need to be registered with the league before the Major Juniors season. If he garners a training camp try-out, he'll get an extension to sign with that NHL team through September 15.

His situtation is unlike Tkachev, who couldn't sign as an undrafted last year with Edmonton because he had split his 2013-14 season between Russia and Moncton, hence his ELC was invalid. Noel spent his 2014-15 season fully in Saint John and is free to sign under those conditions as an UDFA.

Thebesthockey

Aug 6, 2013
u18 means squat
politics and positioning usually trump talent
should have stuck it out in ushl
end up in the Q is already a strike against you vs whl/ohl

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad