C Nathan Noel (2016, 113rd, CHI; traded to PHI)

WesternCollegeHockey

Jul 13, 2006
It's not like I saw every game he played, and obviously he's still young and much can change over the next few years, but from the times I saw Noel this past year, what I saw on the ice never quite matched up to the hype this kid gets here.

jfb392

Jul 7, 2010
so he will be OHL property?
No, I think it depends on his primary place of residence over the past few years.
The last location I saw connected to him was ÃŽle Bizard, so he'd still be Q property if that's still his residence.

Oakville is putting together a team with a bunch of import kids I believe, so that's why he'll be there.
It's basically exactly like his situation last year, where he played for a powerhouse Wilkes-Barre Scranton team filled with imports that were handpicked by Igor Larionov and Alex Vasko (coach of the team).

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
of mcdavid, barzal, noel re: size...from what i've seen, mcdavid seems to have the most size...he's not a big guy...but for a 15 yr old, his size is pretty good (and i have to say seeing him recently, he's bigger than i thought - that doesn't mean "big" i a general sense - i just mean for his age his size isn't bad). Barzal's size looks average...but again, it's too hard to speculate w/ a 15 yr old.

re: noel - unless someone has special insight - he looks about RNH size...i mean, i *think* he'll probably be bigger than someone like P Kane...but i don't think by much.

has noel made any comments re ncaa at this point? i'm assuming at this point he'll just game the Q draft in some manner and end up at a desired team - but has he proactively threatened to commit to any specific ncaa uni?

IceCapsNation

May 4, 2012
Nathan Noel

I've had the opportunity of watching Nathan practice and mess around a fair bit lately. He lives across the street of a family member of mine, and is constantly out on the road firing pucks. This kid is unbelievable. Cars actually slow down to near stop, just to watch him on his roller blades messing around with a puck. He's the true definition of amazing talent.

He's a lanky little fella, much like RNH. He's literally-the cliche- amazing.

From my point of view, I'd say he's a lock for top 2 QMJHL draft pick. Depending on of course if he's planning on going the school route.

Breakfast of Champs

Apr 15, 2007
He was a little underwhelming at the allstate all-canadians game, so some people's only impression of him will be that. However, I have heard he is an amazing player so I plan on seeing him at the acc in october for team nfld.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
why are all these highend Canadian kids coming to the US to further develop their game?? :sarcasm:

pretty interesting...;)

it's kids from smaller areas where they outgrow the level of play and don't really have any other options. going to Shattuck or Athol Murray in SK is the best option.

jfb392

Jul 7, 2010
so your saying the US has better routes of development for players than in Canada....I like hearing that ;)
Not necessarily all of Canada, mostly just the Maritimes.
Kids from the Maritimes have to leave home because they don't have the same resources as kids from larger regions do.

I suspect that many of these kids choose Shattuck because of Crosby's decision to go there.
If he had chosen Athol Murray College of Notre Dame instead, most of them would probably follow the same path (and plenty already do).

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Not necessarily all of Canada, mostly just the Maritimes.
Kids from the Maritimes have to leave home because they don't have the same resources as kids from larger regions do.

I suspect that many of these kids choose Shattuck because of Crosby's decision to go there.
If he had chosen Athol Murray College of Notre Dame instead, most of them would probably follow the same path (and plenty already do).

I understand, just being sarcastic since certain people feel that everything Canada is mighty in hockey....there are areas where it is lacking and it shows with the amount of kids coming to play for Shattuck or other highend prep schools in the US. Some are even coming to play tier-1 for Belle Tire or Honeybaked, etc...

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
I understand, just being sarcastic since certain people feel that everything Canada is mighty in hockey....there are areas where it is lacking and it shows with the amount of kids coming to play for Shattuck or other highend prep schools in the US. Some are even coming to play tier-1 for Belle Tire or Honeybaked, etc...

that's not true...the reality is Canada has a population of less than 35 million and much of that is centered around relatively small geographic areas. smaller regions aren't going to be able to support high level midget hockey b/c there aren't a ton of people and the population dispersal is thin.

one of the reasons that players are going to shattuck is b/c the school has become a "sexy" option after Crosby and, to a lesser extent, Toews played there...and i'm sure that MacKinnon having gone there will also help boost the school. Prior to Shattuck's increase in popularity, Athol Murray College (Notre Dame) in SK was the popular place for kids who had run out of options in their own area (for example, Brad Richards played there when PEI hockey didn't cut it anymore).

saying that canadian hockey is weak b/c kids go and play in the us is about the same as saying us hockey is weak b/c kids go and play in canada. After leaving NTDP, Kane went and played for the London Knights...does that mean that there's nowhere good to play in the US once you've turned 18? obviously not...:shakehead

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
Per his twitter he made SSM's prep team, first 10th grader since Crosby to do so.

That's not true at all. You only have to look back to last years team with Max Becker who was a 10th grader and there've been many others since Sid. Noel is the first 15 year old since Emerson Etem to make the prep squad, though MacKinnon and Cammarata were certainly good enough a few years ago but stayed with the U16s.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad