C Nathan Noel (2016, 113rd, CHI; traded to PHI)

Rekus

Dec 7, 2011
u18 means squat
politics and positioning usually trump talent
should have stuck it out in ushl
end up in the Q is already a strike against you vs whl/ohl

These are not intelligent comments. Its like saying the whole draft is corrupt and no one wants to draft and play the best players. You are on the moon.:help:

Thebesthockey

Aug 6, 2013
That's right, he was not drafted because ALL the scouts and clubs must have made a mistake
Given he was never exposed/ hyped on a national level and fell through the cracks

GuillaumeLetsundress*

Tough shake for Noel, hopefully he figures out what went wrong and what caused this. The viewings of him were there and his talents are undeniable. I believe he knows where he needs to improve

Igor Shestyorkin

#26, the sickest of 'em all.
Apr 17, 2015
Moscow, RUS
Tough shake for Noel, hopefully he figures out what went wrong and what caused this. The viewings of him were there and his talents are undeniable. I believe he knows where he needs to improve

I'm pretty sure it was because of his size, hopefully he does it the MSL way and never gives up, despite being undrafted.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I didn't say the smallest, I just said small, and wasn't he projected to be a 3rd round pick? I really want the Rangers to sign him to be honest, kid has a ton of skill.

There were many, many guys his size or smaller drafted. Yeah projected around there

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I hope we sign him. Free prospect.

Would be cool if he turned it around and turned into an NHL capable regular. Would be a good story.

sync95

Feb 21, 2009
Ontario
It's too bad that he was hyped at 14/15 as much as he was. If he gets signed, then he's already accomplished more than Sam Calabrese or Brian Williams ever have.

goonybird

Young boy expert
Jul 9, 2015
I'm surprised he wasn't drafted. Thought he was projected to go in the mid rounds

Oct 18, 2011
So no shot for a deal? Sad, Nathan is one of the most if not the most talented player I've played against. Maybe the Ice Caps sign him to an AHL deal?
Noel got invited to Anaheim's main training camp and accepted, so I do think there is a chance he will get signed

DatsyukToZetterberg

Alligator!
Apr 3, 2011
Island of Tortuga
So no shot for a deal? Sad, Nathan is one of the most if not the most talented player I've played against. Maybe the Ice Caps sign him to an AHL deal?

Noel isn't able to sign with an AHL team as he is still eligible to play in the CHL for 3 more seasons. After hearing from some friends about Noel it doesn't surprise me that he had poor interviews, he has quite the head in his shoulders.

The Ice Caps move to Winnipeg next year

The Ice Caps still exist? Winnipeg basically took the Hamilton Bulldogs to Manitoba and gave St. John's to the Montreal Canadiens

While the Jets farm team is moving to Winnipeg St. John's is getting the Montreal farm team as well. Instead of changing the name they kept the same name but just changed the jersey colors.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
I thought NA based players had to go through 2 or 3 drafts before becoming UFAs

Yeah, Noel can sign with anyone since he: (a) went through the draft once, (b) was under the age of 20 at that time, and (c) played his full prior season in North America. His ELC would just need to be registered with the league before the Major Juniors season. If he garners a training camp try-out, he'll get an extension to sign with that NHL team through September 15.

His situtation is unlike Tkachev, who couldn't sign as an undrafted last year with Edmonton because he had split his 2013-14 season between Russia and Moncton, hence his ELC was invalid. Noel spent his 2014-15 season fully in Saint John and is free to sign under those conditions as an UDFA.

Woodhouse summed it up, basically there's an offseason window to sign an undrafted North American guy with remaining draft eligibility. Typically you don't see more than a couple per year. Biggest success story in recent times is arguably Martin Jones who went undrafted in 2008 but signed a deal with Kings after their training camp. Columbus signed undrafted Kole Sherwood this week. San Jose signed Michael Sgarbossa after the 2010 Draft and he went on to win the OHL scoring title in 2011-12.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad