C Nathan MacKinnon - Halifax Mooseheads, QMJHL (2013 draft) II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
Centre, he uses his body, he's great on faceoffs, his mobility allows him to rove around the ice in a way that a winger wouldn't be able to. I also think his defense is coming along at a decent rate (MacKinnon and Drouin are a penalty-killing duo).

Thanks for the input Kevin. Appreciate it, glad it's coming along.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Crazy that he has moved up to 5th in scoring...21 points last 12 games....and yet some lists have him slipping to #3 overall.

Ashasx

Jun 30, 2010
Crazy that he has moved up to 5th in scoring...21 points last 12 games....and yet some lists have him slipping to #3 overall.

It happens every year to the number one projected picks. People had Murray and Grigorenko over Yakupov, people had Larsson over RNH...

Sometimes people just like controversy. The more unique your list is, the more hits you get.

MacKinnon is as worthy of the first overall pick as any since the 04/05 lockout.

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke

Maybe, in retrospect, those prognostications will be correct. Until that point, then yes, I agree that it's kind of funny. Some people like controversy, but I also think this another symptom of the shiny new toy disease. MacKinnon has been hyped for so long, now he will be getting picked apart, while a guy like Drouin, who hasn't had the same train of hype, is riding a high. He deserves a top 5 spot in my mind, but this situation reeks of the 2009 draft, when people started putting Duchene and Hedman ahead of Tavares.

LeafDangler

Apr 25, 2006
When watching MacKinnon play count how many times be wins a puck battle or creates a turnover. He generates an unreal amount of pick possession. I've never seen a player have the puck for more of the game then he does. On top of that he definitely leads he league in blue line entries.

He's also a force in the backcheck. There aren't many guys he can't catch up to.

These are the little things along with his hustle and drive that don't show up on the scoresheet but make him truly elite.

Breakfast of Champs

Apr 15, 2007

ISS, The Hockey News, and TSN all have him #1 still. Apparently RLR currently has him 3rd but if you do a little research you'll see that they often like to go against the grain on their rankings. I believe they had Legwand over Lecavalier in 1998.

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke
Glad he is performing offensively along with defensively, what else can a coach ask for really?

Still IMO the first overall pick.

I would be shocked if a team has him lower than 2 heading into the draft. This is a kid that grabs the game by the testies and tries to impose himself onto every game, especially in the clutch. A true franchise player as far as I'm concerned.

Future

Feb 8, 2011
Ontario
I'm still amazed by his progression. Last year he was just a pure offensive force for most of the season. This year he has developed a very good defensive game as well as improving his board play and other intangibles. He's the entire package.

Tbh I thought last year that he would be best on the wing and be a winger for his entire NHL career but now I think he would be better at centre. He's been great on the draws this year, great defensively, plays a physical game, solid board work, etc.

What an impressive player. I know people are getting caught up in the Drouin hype with his slick hands and vision but Nate is still hands down the best player IMO.

King Mapes

Sub to My YouTube Blocks_4_days
Feb 9, 2008
Edmonton
Nate is definitely more complete. Drouin might have a slight edge offensively but Nate does other things a lot better than Drouin.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
I'm still amazed by his progression. Last year he was just a pure offensive force for most of the season. This year he has developed a very good defensive game as well as improving his board play and other intangibles. He's the entire package.

Tbh I thought last year that he would be best on the wing and be a winger for his entire NHL career but now I think he would be better at centre. He's been great on the draws this year, great defensively, plays a physical game, solid board work, etc.

What an impressive player. I know people are getting caught up in the Drouin hype with his slick hands and vision but Nate is still hands down the best player IMO.

no kidding, It amazes me when people think Drouin is the better of the duo,

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC

I`m not amazed, I`ve been guilty of being a judge of talent solely on stats when I was a "younger" fan;)

A touch more grey hair, and having an appreciation for players who play in 3 not just 1 zone has me well on the side of NM to this day, Drouin`s an absolutely fantastic offensive talent, but if the kid is drafted by a team who`s coach insists on Defense, he`ll need time to work on it, he`ll be fine, his game isn`t as rounded as Nate`s IMO

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
WOW!!!!! Halifax scores 61 seconds into the game...Frk from Mac and Drouin. And you will see an AMAZING pass from Mac once it is posted. Hey RedLine, guess he just isn't a shooter!

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I love that in Halifax, you get to watch this team for FREE on Eastlink cable. Still enjoy going to the games though!

George Maharis

Risk Taker
Feb 6, 2011
nova sGOATia
I love that in Halifax, you get to watch this team for FREE on Eastlink cable. Still enjoy going to the games though!

For sure, I just wish they would show more games instead of one every few Friday nights, pending the schedule.. You could argue that HNIC is USUALLY only Saturday, with a Thursday game every once in a while, but at least TSN and Sportsnet show other games.. Oh well, I‘ll take what we have instead of nothing.

lavoy

Nov 3, 2011
Nathan definitely had one of his best games tonight. He's looked "just alright" for his standards in the past 10...

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC

The pass..

He`s been doing that all year, only solidifying my belief that nobody from RLR has watched more than highlights of the kid.

What always impresses me with the kid is that he NEVER hesitates to plant his arse in front of the net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad