C Nathan MacKinnon - Halifax Mooseheads, QMJHL (2013 draft) II

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeafDangler

Apr 25, 2006
Starting to?

Yep. He's the most physically talented kid I've ever seen but the puck skills while elite aren't quite on the same level. He fans/flubs on lots of shots and mishandles the puck more than many elite snipers. If/when the hands reach that same level watch out.

Stoneberg

Bored
Nov 10, 2005
Halifax
Mackinnon was dominant last night. I liked his assist better than his goal solely because of how cheeky it was. Dangling 3 guys in the offensive zone was exciting as well, but as an above poster said, that won't work against a higher level of competition.

Pick Six

@Lafortune_FC
Jan 1, 2009
Mississauga
Yep. He's the most physically talented kid I've ever seen but the puck skills while elite aren't quite on the same level. He fans/flubs on lots of shots and mishandles the puck more than many elite snipers. If/when the hands reach that same level watch out.

Definitely agree with everything you've said. His hands are one of the few things he needs to improve.

howitzermoose

Apr 10, 2006

Yep, I'd agree with that. He shows flashes where his hands are going with his feet (like last night) and it's jaw dropping stuff. But he does need to improve his hands and puck handling.

It's far from bad, it's just that his legs and brain are going so fast, his hands have yet to catch up. Watch out when they finally do though!!

Scoutguy77

Jun 7, 2009
Mackinnon is good very good but holy phouck you guys are off the charts with your praise, give him a year of solid returns then we can decide how good he is-- some of you guys are over the top really !!

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Mackinnon is good very good but holy phouck you guys are off the charts with your praise, give him a year of solid returns then we can decide how good he is-- some of you guys are over the top really !!
Who in this thread is going "off the charts with [their] praise"? People are being pretty reasonable IMO, just excited about a very good prospect who was very hyped before entering the Q, and who seems to be living up to that hype so far.

LeafDangler

Apr 25, 2006

What are you doing on a website called Hockey's Future, in a thread labelled Nathan MacKinnon if you don't want to hear about Nathan MacKinnon? Please indicate the posts you believe to be incorrect.

Scoutguy77

Jun 7, 2009
for *** sakes man, all we hear is macKinnion, worst thing you can do with a young kid is oversell and underperform..........love hmi, but lets keep things in perpspective

Last edited by a moderator:

habsrule4eva3089

Nov 22, 2008
for *** sakes man, all we hear is macKinnion, worst thing you can do with a young kid is oversell and underperform..........love hmi, but lets keep things in perpspective

Agree with you when folks compare him to Sid, but if you've read this thread and the one in the junior thread on a daily basis, the posters who follow him on a game to game know he's not even close to that level. He's a very good player obviously, anyone who's on pace for over 100 pts in his rookie year in junior is mighty impressive. Add to the fact most guys who seem to know what they're talking about have him ranked as the number 1 prospect for the 2013 draft which makes people excited. I mean look at the past number 1 picks and how they're doing in the NHL right now. Stammer,JT,Hallzy,Seguin,RNH...all are having an impact at a very young age. If he can keep this production and his development going, there's no doubt one day his name will be alongside those players contributing in the NHL in the very near future! So I agree, perspective but there's reason to be excited about this kid!

scoutman1

Twitter - scoutman33
Feb 19, 2005
www.facebook.com

well your in the wrong message board if you do not want to talk about prospect, especially a prospect that is one of the best in the world for any age at the moment...I think you need to log off the site, sit on your couch looking out the window and reflect on why you signed up for this site....and your play on words with the curse word...sorry not impressive just shows me you are unable to hold a mature conversation on this board....

JalapenoPeppa*

Saw Nathan live last night for the first time and he exceeded my expectations. The Moose put him out when they needed a goal, and he delivered. Absolutely controls the PP on the half boards too. No PEI Rocket defenseman could keep up with him it seemed. Going to try and get to the game against Quebec next week to see how we fares against a good team (and to see Grigorenko of course).

Leviathan

Nov 25, 2008
Pretty solid scoring rate for a rookie. 1.5 point per game pace. Projects to a solid 107 point campaign.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
I really just don't see how people are losing perspective on him in these threads though. Nobody is actually comparing him to Crosby, what people are actually saying is that he's a top notch prospect with amazing speed and a very good game in general for his age, a kid who has a good shot to go 1st overall in 2013. These are the prospect boards on a prospect-centric website, people are going to talk about prospects, and I just don't see how people are going way overboard.

King Mapes

Sub to My YouTube Blocks_4_days
Feb 9, 2008
Edmonton

You're in the wrong thread if you don't want to talk about Mackinnon.

Also having watched both Sid and Mackinnon at a young age, Nathan just isn't there. I think the comparisons is because they went almost an identical route and from the same place. Mackinnon is probably the closest thing I've seen to Sid in the Q but he just isn't as good at this age which is obviously not an insult. Will he be a star in the NHL? Too far away to tell but I would say most likely. Hes extremely fast, hard to get off the puck and works hard out there. I'd say he has the potential to be a superstar, I just doubt he ever reaches Sid's level.

I remember the EXTREME hype over Tavares, as well. I know he's still young but he was supposed to step right in and be a deadly threat which we havent seen yet. Hes been alright but not the 72 goal man we saw his rookie year in the OHL.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I really just don't see how people are losing perspective on him in these threads though. Nobody is actually comparing him to Crosby, what people are actually saying is that he's a top notch prospect with amazing speed and a very good game in general for his age, a kid who has a good shot to go 1st overall in 2013. These are the prospect boards on a prospect-centric website, people are going to talk about prospects, and I just don't see how people are going way overboard.

Completely agree, but he is 2014.....he is going to put up scary good numbers his draft year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad