C Nathan MacKinnon - Halifax Mooseheads, QMJHL (2013 draft) II

Status
Not open for further replies.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Like I said above, he isn't Crosby. Crosby had generational vision and playmaking. He does have a skillset that is a few years ahead of his age. Not to mention above average hockey sense.

Agreed...but the 1 thing that does concern me about MacKinnon is he seems to lack that natural finishing ability. He has a good shot but he seems to need 4-5 chances to score...it doesnt come natural to him and often times he loses the puck or fans...

That would basically be the only real complaint I have about his game....which isnt really a major issue.

LeafDangler

Apr 25, 2006
he is nowhere near as talented as Crosby was at his age.

Every time I hear this I sigh. No **** he's not as good as Crosby. When the time comes that somebody is as good as Crosby it will be so evident nobody will argue about it.

Nathan is an exceptional prospect who will challenge for #1 overall in 2013. If you read people or take serious anybody who makes him out to be more than that it's your own fault.

LeafDangler

Apr 25, 2006
Agreed...but the 1 thing that does concern me about MacKinnon is he seems to lack that natural finishing ability. He has a good shot but he seems to need 4-5 chances to score...it doesnt come natural to him and often times he loses the puck or fans...

That would basically be the only real complaint I have about his game....which isnt really a major issue.

The concern I have in his game is that most of his domination seems to derive from being superior physically to 16, 17, 18 and even some 19 and 20 year olds. He is an exceptional and powerful skater. Obviously this bodes well for his future but is this something that others will catch up to him?

I don't have a ton of experience watching young players develop. Can we expect those puck skills to improve to an elite level? I've seen guys improve their shot but some offensive ability just appears to be innate. Composure will come as he gets acclimated to the higher pace and I hope we start to see the hands come along as well.

howitzermoose

Apr 10, 2006
He was trying way too hard to make the perfect play last night, he needs to learn to simplify his game.

That would be my main criticism as well. He just has to slow it down a bit. I love that he plays with intensity and he's got that drive to compete and win, but at times it does more harm then good. He over handles the puck at times, and he'll twist and turn, stop and start. All looks nice, but it accomplishes very little and he ends up turning the puck over or is checked. I'm sure with experience and coaching he'll smooth these things out.

Now that he's getting more spotlight nationally, people will pick his game apart more and more. Nothing new, pretty standard for a kid who's in the spotlight 2 years before his draft year. But I hope everyone keeps in mind, that he JUST turned 16 lol.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Nathan MacKinnon's nickname

So right now, in the NHL, we have the whole Fail for Nail expression, and in the NFL, there's Suck for Luck. So what, then will Nathan MacKinnon's expression be? Lack for Mac? Wait for Nate? Anything?

MVP of West Hollywd

Oct 28, 2008
So right now, in the NHL, we have the whole Fail for Nail expression, and in the NFL, there's Suck for Luck. So what, then will Nathan MacKinnon's expression be? Lack for Mac? Wait for Nate? Anything?

The Track to A Mac/On Track for A Mac is the best I can think of, along with the beforementioned Slack for Mac

PorkChopSandwiches

Oct 31, 2011
For anyone else who has watched him play live a few times, do you ever notice that when he doesn't have the puck he's usually not in good position to receive a pass? It seems to me like the angle he creates when looking for a pass on the rush is too small, and that if he went a bit wider he could successfully receive a lot more open passes.

he def likes to watch the play from the middle lanes, offensively he likes that high slot and is quite effective at scoring from there. he just lacks some game maturity as opposed to being 'born with great vision'

leafsfuture

Mar 30, 2008
That would be my main criticism as well. He just has to slow it down a bit. I love that he plays with intensity and he's got that drive to compete and win, but at times it does more harm then good. He over handles the puck at times, and he'll twist and turn, stop and start. All looks nice, but it accomplishes very little and he ends up turning the puck over or is checked. I'm sure with experience and coaching he'll smooth these things out.

Now that he's getting more spotlight nationally, people will pick his game apart more and more. Nothing new, pretty standard for a kid who's in the spotlight 2 years before his draft year. But I hope everyone keeps in mind, that he JUST turned 16 lol.

This is exactly why 16 year olds dont make World Junior teams.

People dont realize that things like the Super Series, the Prospects Game and off summers really help young players get to the next level

lavoy

Nov 3, 2011
The Jackets should stop winnin for MacKinnon :) I'd tank two years in a row ;) for him and trade Nash to get Yakupov, Nate and maybe Galchenyuk

habsrule4eva3089

Nov 22, 2008
Best 16 year old in the Q since Angelo Esposito?

Esposito was the product of radulov that first year where he accounted all those points. He didn't even receive anything close to the amount of hype Mackinnon had before a game in Q. Best 16 year old in the Q since Sidney Crosby would sound more correct at least to me...

Breakfast of Champs

Apr 15, 2007
Esposito had 98 pts sure, but his linemate had 150+. Mackinnon is on pace to have a similar season statistically to esposito but is leading his team in scoring while doing it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad