C Nathan MacKinnon - Halifax Mooseheads, QMJHL (2013 draft) II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kalamazoo Wings

May 4, 2010
Knee Deep
But the best part to me and the most telling part as to why he will be an impact player at the next level is when you watch MacKinnon, in game, matched up against the other key players. Wayyyy more often then not he has his way physically and offensively. He made Currie and Huberdeau look awful back in October, I was surprised actually.

Drouin helps his cause offensively, but he didn't miss a beat when Drouin was on the shelf at the start of the season. He makes impact plays against the key players at every turn in the Q.

Sartorial

#RegisteredUser
Dec 14, 2011
Saskatoon
I know this is a thread about MacKinnon, but I can't help but notice Frk every time highlights are posted involving Mac or Drouin that Frk is often the set-up man.

At #49 I think Frk could be the steal of last year's draft.

Breakfast of Champs

Apr 15, 2007
I know this is a thread about MacKinnon, but I can't help but notice Frk every time highlights are posted involving Mac or Drouin that Frk is often the set-up man.

I believe he has 26 points in his last 12 games.

He has been on par with MacKinnon and Drouin since being promoted to the first line with them.

King Mapes

Sub to My YouTube Blocks_4_days
Feb 9, 2008
Edmonton

Everybody knew he had the potential to be the steal of the draft. He was ranked in the top 5-10 but then got a concussion and wasn't the same. He seems to be back.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
But the best part to me and the most telling part as to why he will be an impact player at the next level is when you watch MacKinnon, in game, matched up against the other key players. Wayyyy more often then not he has his way physically and offensively. He made Currie and Huberdeau look awful back in October, I was surprised actually.

Drouin helps his cause offensively, but he didn't miss a beat when Drouin was on the shelf at the start of the season. He makes impact plays against the key players at every turn in the Q.

Your last sentence nailed it, I love both kids, but if I`m a GM (and I`m far from one), I`d take Mack based on this , in spite of whom he`s playing with, or playing against, he finds a way to make an impact. As absolutely skilled as Drouin is, and as much as I love watching the kid, you take Mack out of the Mooseheads lineup, and I`m not so sure Drouin would be able to continue on in the same fashion as Mack did for that 7 game stretch without Drouin.

Another aspect of Mack`s game is his willingness to go to the net, and plant his arse there, take the punishment for the betterment of the team. Drouin isn`t afraid to go to the net, but does so less often, and with far less determination to stay there

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
I was hoping Drouin would pile up the points last night as he's running out of games to convince the idiots at Hockey Canada on an invite to selection camp. I don't think he gets an invite...anybody hearing anything different?

Macman

May 15, 2004
I was hoping Drouin would pile up the points last night as he's running out of games to convince the idiots at Hockey Canada on an invite to selection camp. I don't think he gets an invite...anybody hearing anything different?

If they're bringing 38 people to camp, I don't see how they could justify not inviting him. Let him play with MacKinnon and see what he does. If he doesn't play well, fine. Anything less than a fair look would be ridiculous.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
If they're bringing 38 people to camp, I don't see how they could justify not inviting him. Let him play with MacKinnon and see what he does. If he doesn't play well, fine. Anything less than a fair look would be ridiculous.

I'm with ya on that one... however I have no confidence in HC.

And I hope this year they finally stop with the media interviews for players cut... that really irks me that TSN insists on putting cut players through that routine.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
I'm with ya on that one... however I have no confidence in HC.

And I hope this year they finally stop with the media interviews for players cut... that really irks me that TSN insists on putting cut players through that routine.

i think it's just horrible the way they interview them after they've been cut...some of the players are as young as 17 and are probably getting cut from a team for the first time in there lives..and in a high profile way. i hate watching them dragged out in front of the press. HC should be ashamed for allowing it

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
i think it's just horrible the way they interview them after they've been cut...some of the players are as young as 17 and are probably getting cut from a team for the first time in there lives..and in a high profile way. i hate watching them dragged out in front of the press. HC should be ashamed for allowing it

I blast HC and TSN every year for it... and every year they continue the ugly tradition.

If players had a variance of answers to the question of how it feels to be cut, then I could reluctantly accept it the practice, but....

but since every player has answered it the exact same way for as long as I can remember, then it's a complete waste of time. And you are right, HC should be ashamed for allowing it to continue.

shello

Mar 5, 2011
MTL/NYC

I wouldn't call them idiots, no matter how easy it is to call them idiots based on the performances the past while, they're fully aware of what they're doing and they're letting each age group get it's chance, this year will be the 93's-94's, next year 94's and 95's, etc. They'll get their turn eventually, remember they do want to win each year (and they have come close), but they also want to develop their future players and give them the experience. Most countries with options go for the older more experience just as well. It's easy to point and look at Hockey Canada and base off no gold and say they're idiots. Drouin will probably get an invite and only time will tell how he does.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
I wouldn't call them idiots, no matter how easy it is to call them idiots based on the performances the past while, they're fully aware of what they're doing and they're letting each age group get it's chance, this year will be the 93's-94's, next year 94's and 95's, etc. They'll get their turn eventually, remember they do want to win each year (and they have come close), but they also want to develop their future players and give them the experience. Most countries with options go for the older more experience just as well. It's easy to point and look at Hockey Canada and base off no gold and say they're idiots. Drouin will probably get an invite and only time will tell how he does.

I don't call them idiots just because they failed to win a gold medal the past 3 years...
but I won't go into a rant against HC here..not the right forum...

if you are not involved in minor hockey programs, then I suggest you get involved at some point and see for yourself the way HC operates; perhaps would come as a shock to you... but then again maybe you wouldn't have an issue with anything they do..everybody is different... I can accept that.

I use to be a volunteer at one time, once my playing days had finished...but 3 years of administrative BS at HC on the provincial level was about all I could handle...I haven't been involved since, other than being a fan of Canadian hockey players... not the organization which governs them.

Kalamazoo Wings

May 4, 2010
Knee Deep

He's made some great plays this year, and you might be right. I feel like he's a work in progress; his skating and strength needs attention but I'm sure he'll spend some time in Grand Rapids (next couple years plus I'd bet) and you never know from there. But yeah, he's made it look easy lately.

Your last sentence nailed it, I love both kids, but if I`m a GM (and I`m far from one), I`d take Mack based on this , in spite of whom he`s playing with, or playing against, he finds a way to make an impact. As absolutely skilled as Drouin is, and as much as I love watching the kid, you take Mack out of the Mooseheads lineup, and I`m not so sure Drouin would be able to continue on in the same fashion as Mack did for that 7 game stretch without Drouin.

Another aspect of Mack`s game is his willingness to go to the net, and plant his arse there, take the punishment for the betterment of the team. Drouin isn`t afraid to go to the net, but does so less often, and with far less determination to stay there

Agreed. Everyone's gunna love the skill of Drouin, but when you sit in the stands and watch him and Mack play, it's hard to believe Drouin weighs more. MacKinnon not only looks bigger he plays like he's (10 - 20 lbs.) bigger based on, as you mentioned, the areas he goes to and the imposing way about his attack. MacKinnon maximizes his frame, where as I feel like Drouin is still growing into his. Really tho, both are can't miss prospects without a doubt.

LeafDangler

Apr 25, 2006

Hockey Canada's #1 priority when selecting the WJC team should be winning. Nothing else.

I think calling them idiots is useless hyperbole. They're obviously experienced, intelligent hockey people. That said I strongly disagree with many of their selections. It's not that they're picking bad hockey players, but that they don't place an emphasis on talent and skill throughout all 4 lines. Furthermore the repeated mantra of "this is a 19/20 yr old tournament" is foolish. Just take the best players.

LeafDangler

Apr 25, 2006
Agreed. Everyone's gunna love the skill of Drouin, but when you sit in the stands and watch him and Mack play, it's hard to believe Drouin weighs more. MacKinnon not only looks bigger he plays like he's (10 - 20 lbs.) bigger based on, as you mentioned, the areas he goes to and the imposing way about his attack. MacKinnon maximizes his frame, where as I feel like Drouin is still growing into his. Really tho, both are can't miss prospects without a doubt.

MacKinnon gets characterized as a purely skill player/sniper quite frequently which leads people to dismiss his physical game. He throws hits, battles down low and drives the net all the time. He's more of hybrid skill/powerforward.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
Hockey Canada's #1 priority when selecting the WJC team should be winning. Nothing else.

I think calling them idiots is useless hyperbole. They're obviously experienced, intelligent hockey people. That said I strongly disagree with many of their selections. It's not that they're picking bad hockey players, but that they don't place an emphasis on talent and skill throughout all 4 lines. Furthermore the repeated mantra of "this is a 19/20 yr old tournament" is foolish. Just take the best players.

hyperbole perhaps.... useless? It seems to helps me. But I agree with you on the need to change the HC mindset of age trumps skill. it's a tournament for 19/20 year old players is played out... especially since HC seems not to have an issue with young, inexperienced players to the senior world championship. Different logistical challenges for that tournament, I can accept that.... but HC does show an obvious double standard with regards to the two tournaments.

Kalamazoo Wings

May 4, 2010
Knee Deep
MacKinnon gets characterized as a purely skill player/sniper quite frequently which leads people to dismiss his physical game. He throws hits, battles down low and drives the net all the time. He's more of hybrid skill/powerforward.

Of course, that's the natural hockey fan characterization with a potential 1st overall pick that plays center. He's a unique player, as there's really not many PF type centers with ability to cover as much ice, win the battles, and factor big in the offense really at any level.

I'm a Stars homer so make of this what you will, but my comparison of MacKinnon is a more offensively inclined Jamie Benn. Both cover so much ice, have an above average handle on defensive responsibilities, win the majority of one-on-one battles and because of their PF tendancies sometimes leave the critics questioning whether they should play wing or center. Both have the ability and awareness to be hybrid C/W types. Benn was moved to the wing with RNH and Sharp at the WHC and it sounds as if MacKinnon might see some action on the wing in the WJC.

Like I said, homer, but the similarities are there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad