C Nathan MacKinnon - Halifax Mooseheads, QMJHL (2013, 1st overall, Colorado) III

Zdeno33Lucic*

Holy **** by halifax

11-1

Drouin/mackinnon/frk picked up ober 5 points each i think, Frk had 5 or 6 goals alone!

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012
Shots after two periods was 48-8' that's nuts, and Halifax, after two periods, had more goals then Saint John had shots.

lavoy

Nov 3, 2011
I'm liking MacKinnon's effort in the defensive zone this season .. Harder backchecking and is always the first guy back on the puck. Barkov and Monahan are known for their great two-way play too, so Nate came into the season looking to close the gap in that regard ... Good on him.

Breakfast of Champs

Apr 15, 2007
If Frk doesn't bury all of his chances tonight people are talking about MacKinnon a lot more after that game. Got things going in the first and played an excelled all around game.

Seems to be handling the puck smoother again and not trying to do too much. Also has his legs back.

Stephen23

Aug 22, 2009
Halifax, NS
As many points as Drouin had last night, I felt that MacKinnon played better. I even thought he maybe played better than Frk. Either way, great game by 22!

TheTechNoir

fall 2021 bull, probably
Feb 18, 2013
As many points as Drouin had last night, I felt that MacKinnon played better. I even thought he maybe played better than Frk. Either way, great game by 22!

No question imo he was better than Drouin. Frk is debatable. Weegar had a really good game too. I think he's a good player hidden between fucale/mac/jon/murphy/mcauley/abeltchauser (man thats a long list of likely nhl prospects). When st. Johns goalie was lights out for the first 10 min onslaught mac was the guy to finally complete followed by a beautiful second goal. He was the fastest player and solid strong strides. Drouin was effective in his role, tho he seemed a bit lighter on his feet then usual. Maybe he was just cutting in tighter than normal against d trying to shield the puck with his body.

Andrews goal was a real beauty. I think the third line of fournier/macauley/andrews was extremely good. Was actually a little disappointed with the champs line. They were still better than anything the sea dogs had but their offensive zone cycling wasn't as strong. Sometimes Ashley looks almost as hard to get off the puck as Drouin but not tonight.

NS Bluenoser

Sep 25, 2012

I`ve always said that I find MacKinnon usually plays better/is better than his point totals indicate. For one, on the PP he is usually down low around the net and sometimes doesn`t touch the puck as it moves around from Drouin to the point men most often.

But his two way game, and his ability to tire out even the best defenders with his speed and strength doesn`t always result in a goal or point.

A strong playoffs could get the scouts giddy again for that NHL draft, where he slipped a little to Jones and Drouin in the 2nd half, after limited World Junior time and the injury layoff. People often point out the PPG stat between him and Drouin, but he is more than just an offensive forward. Even if he isn`t scoring tons of points, he is often the most dominant forward on the ice.

His "floor" as a pro prospect is pretty high.

PensBandwagonerNo272*

Forgot About Sid
Sep 10, 2012
He's a future number one center. I've always compared Mac and JD to Toews and Kane in terms of style and potential.

Didn't get to that game yesterday but I'll be there tonight!

PropJoe

Jan 25, 2013
He's a future number one center. I've always compared Mac and JD to Toews and Kane in terms of style and potential.

Didn't get to that game yesterday but I'll be there tonight!

Only going by what I've read about Mackinnon but he's definitely a better skater than Toews right?

WolfgangAmadeusEller*

It tells a LOT about how good Drouin is.

NikF

Sep 24, 2006
It tells a LOT about how good Drouin is.

To stir the pot a little bit, it's not unreasonable to think Drouin's PPG is going to come down to earth quite a bit more than MacKinnon's as they move to the next level. Could very well be a Toews, Kane situation (although I think Toews is a lofty expectation for anyone), but if that ends up being the case you take Toews 10 times out of 10.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad