C Mikhail Maltsev (2016, 102nd, NJD, traded to COL)

Sticktape

Jan 25, 2017
I realize his most recent goal was more opportunistic than anything, but he seems to be figuring things out slowly but surely. He's one of those names that feels like he's been around forever being a 2016 draftee, but he's still only 21.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
So many of the Devils young kids are doing extremely well in 3rd and 4th line roles. Maltsev's next step will be to produce as a top 6 center all season. He could easily step in as the 4th line center for NJ and be effective, I think the staff sees middle 6 potential.

Reactions: MatthewFlames

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS

He had a tremendous move when up 4 - 1 that he didn't score on. Mcleod, Sharangovich and Maltsev are all fighting between 2nd, 3rd and 4th line center roles. None have stepped up and taken that next step. Coach Mark Dennehy is just doing a fantastic job rotating players in and our of the lineup so if you don't have it one week you may sit.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
In two months he managed to play in only 4 games and has now been recalled. Why wasn't he playing ,was he injured?

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
In two months he managed to play in only 4 games and has now been recalled. Why wasn't he playing ,was he injured?
SKA St. Petersburg is the richest team in the KHL and they have lot of extra depth in the organization for COVID, for instance they somehow have 31 forwards on their VHL team.

Maltsev had a one way deal with his former KHL team and got to play when some of the regulars were out but presumably got pushed out when everyone got healthy. It would have been nice if he got more playing time out of the loan but this period has been wasted development time for a lot prospects unfortunately.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
SKA St. Petersburg is the richest team in the KHL and they have lot of extra depth in the organization for COVID, for instance they somehow have 31 forwards on their VHL team.

Maltsev had a one way deal with his former KHL team and got to play when some of the regulars were out but presumably got pushed out when everyone got healthy. It would have been nice if he got more playing time out of the loan but this period has been wasted development time for a lot prospects unfortunately.

It wasn't an ideal situation then , at least he was on the ice though I guess

Reactions: Guttersniped

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011

They don't have 31 forwards on the VHL team. We just don't have the stupid age restrictions in Russia between leagues. Players from the KHL may play in the VHL for conditioning or being sent down, players from the MHL may play in the VHL being sent up. And in the COVID season the VHL becomes a mosh pit as there is even more reasons to move players up and down between leagues. SKA had a bunch of 17 year olds play for them in the KHL during the COVID quarantene. In this season players constantly get moved from the MHL via VHL to KHL an back, that is why some sites would show them all as "VHL forwards".

It's easy to blame Maltsev's lack of success within the SKA org on the depth, but it is wrong. Especially with the whole COVID chaos. This year everybody gets chances they would not normally get. For example Zavgorodniy is now getting KHL action as the WJC camp started and Podkolzin and Khusnutdinov are gone for two months. Maltsev just seems to be not good enough to fit in anywhere on those depth charts and that should be a red flag, at least a small one.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
SKA is SKA but at the same time, he wasn't impressive at all. Not to beat on the dead horse but another one of those guys who could have used a loan to a weaker team rather than being stuck between playing garbage minutes for SKA or move to NA.

Wierzbowski426

Nov 1, 2019
New Jersey
I hope Maltsev can contribute to the Devils like I hope for most of our prospects and I thought he showed a few flashes of ability from what I saw of him in the AHL but I am really not worried. If he can be a 4th line or sometimes 3rd line center at some point its a win.

The Devils have like 15 equivalent prospects in their system due to the ridiculous depth they have.

Reactions: Ronnie Bass

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad