C Mikhail Grigorenko - Quebec Remparts, QMJHL (2012 draft) III

Status
Not open for further replies.

clownquestionbro*

it wasn't the fact that he would bolt to the khl that scared scouts, it was his lack of heart, grit, desire and testicular fortitude to win. seems like a yashin to me, good talent...but a tin man. but hey, definitely worth the chance. can always trade him to the isles for tavares and a first.

BobDobolina

Jan 11, 2010
NYC
Devereaux Heshmatpour was always said to be older than he claimed to be. He quit hockey early, too.

The guy was freaking HUGE at like 15 though. Back in the day there was a lot of talk about him losing to a goalie in the top prospects game skating competition, anyone know if there's any truth to that?

Jack Bourdain

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 25, 2008
Buffalo fans aren't done stroking Grigo's ego? The overuse of the :laugh: emoticon is strong in this thread.

There's probably a good reason why 13 teams passed over him. I don't think scouts are stupid.

Then again, he was the 4th forward taken, so that's still damn good when you consider the other 3 were Yakupov, Galchenyuk and Forsberg.

However acting like every scout who passed over Grigorenko is an imbecile and that you know better is getting tiresome.

I've had the pleasure of following Grigorenko in the playoffs, and to the fan who said he has a great playoffs, no he didn't, he was invisible for the better part of the playoffs. He did have injuries and mono, so I won't put him down for that. But don't start making things up to skew reality.

Dave Karp

Jul 11, 2007
Nova Scotia
The guy was freaking HUGE at like 15 though. Back in the day there was a lot of talk about him losing to a goalie in the top prospects game skating competition, anyone know if there's any truth to that?

This is true. It was more that he came out of nowhere (relocated from California) and was very physically developed. I think it was more of a running joke than anything serious.

He did lose to a goalie in a race at the Top Prospects game and barely beat a few others (goalies).

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Buffalo fans aren't done stroking Grigo's ego? The overuse of the :laugh: emoticon is strong in this thread.

There's probably a good reason why 13 teams passed over him. I don't think scouts are stupid.

Then again, he was the 4th forward taken, so that's still damn good when you consider the other 3 were Yakupov, Galchenyuk and Forsberg.

However acting like every scout who passed over Grigorenko is an imbecile and that you know better is getting tiresome.

I've had the pleasure of following Grigorenko in the playoffs, and to the fan who said he has a great playoffs, no he didn't, he was invisible for the better part of the playoffs. He did have injuries and mono, so I won't put him down for that. But don't start making things up to skew reality.

No, 11 actually. Grigorenko was selected with Buffalo's 12th pick. Girgensons at 14 with the pick from Calgary. Guess he's gonna be a bust too, since 13 teams passed on him, including the Sabres once. :sarcasm:

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke

Well, idiot would be extreme, but to suggest that they are gospel is probably even more absurd.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

No one in this thread is calling any scout an imbecile or that they "know better" than pro scouts/GM's.

goodfellas

Jan 29, 2011
It will be interesting to observe his devlopment in comparison with last season. If he can had a bit of grit to his game, with his skills sky is the limit for this guy...

Revo

Jun 29, 2011
Quebec City
Anyone see his game? How did he look?

Others may not agree with me... but I liked the direction he's going in. He wasn't a fully transformed player, he still has to work on his explosiveness and grit. But he seemed to have put behind his though second half last year, with the seemingly added experience from that period, as I liked his decision-making in limited space situations more than last year and seemed more prone to using his excellent shot.

Obviously, that's just one game.

start winnin

NO MORE TANK BOYS
May 7, 2011
Buffalo
It will be interesting to observe his devlopment in comparison with last season. If he can had a bit of grit to his game, with his skills sky is the limit for this guy...

Yeah, I'd love to see him really dig into his competitiveness and battle harder, sort of like Joe Thornton.

Others may not agree with me... but I liked the direction he's going in. He wasn't a fully transformed player, he still has to work on his explosiveness and grit. But he seemed to have put behind his though second half last year, with the seemingly added experience from that period, as I liked his decision-making in limited space situations more than last year and seemed more prone to using his excellent shot.

Obviously, that's just one game.

Thanks for the insight, he definitely needs to play a grittier game. :laugh:

Last edited:

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007
The trick for him is to develop consistency and 2nd, 3rd and 4th efforts. Players with that kind of talent don't need extra grit to succeed.

Revo

Jun 29, 2011
Quebec City
The trick for him is to develop consistency and 2nd, 3rd and 4th efforts. Players with that kind of talent don't need extra grit to succeed.

Yeah, that's mostly what I meant when talking about grit. Not everyone has to crush bones. It's especially important in his case not to skip steps, if you have him play like a plumber, nothing good is going to come out of it.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Anyone see his game? How did he look?

I watched it. Posted a little blurb on the Sabres board last night, but here are some more fleshed out thoughts (by period):

1) Wasn't dazzling in the first period, but he did make a few very nice plays. He was physically engaged both defensively (ie: tying guys up in front of the net in his own end) and battling for pucks in the offensive zone. Had a real nice take away while Chicoutimi was trying to break out that he generated a nice scoring chance on.
2) This is where he really got going. Had the puck on his stick a lot, was making a lot of plays happen in the offensive zone, and often looked dangerous. Sniped a real nice goal on the PP. He also had a very good PK shift in this period. The first time he tried to clear the puck, it was intercepted, but after that, he got he puck again and was able to just possess the puck in the offensive zone for about half a shift to kill time (eventually, one of his d-men skated into the high slot, and he fed the puck to him from the corner boards for a good SH chance).
3) The Remparts took a boatload of penalties and Grigs saw little (maybe no?) PK time during that onslaught. When the team finally got back to ES, after giving up 2 goals, Grigs' line was right back out on the ice, and they pinned Chicoutimi in their own zone, eventually scoring (Grigs had the primary assist).

Overall:
Despite the nice stat sheet, it looked like his chemistry with his linemates was a bit off. Though maybe it just looked bad in comparison to how great Erne and Soronsen (sp?) looked together. His defensive play was solid positionally, and it looked like he was more engaged in board battles. I'm thinking his summer training with Buffalo has already reaped some rewards in terms of strength. Did not look great taking draws and made a few dangerous passes from his own end; it's the kind of creative playmaking that is high risk and high reward and looks great when it pays off, but in a game like that (where the Remparts were leading the whole time) I think he should be leaning toward the safer play. In general, it looks like he is trending in the right direction and has put his shaky finish form last season behind him.

EichHart

Jul 3, 2011
Hamburg, NY
Highlights from yesterday's game with Grigorenko's goal at 00:28.

Where? 1 goal 3 assist in his first game! I will take it! :nod:

This lockout is actually pretty decent for our prospects. If it last the entire year, next season we get Armia, Grigs, and Girgs coming up to play for our team! =)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad