C Mavrik Bourque (2020, 30th, DAL)

Mar 12, 2009
Yeah Cosentino sees him as a 16-20ish guy and he’s got as good a read on CHL players as anyone imo.
I've never gotten the impression that Cosentino actually scouts these guys much outside of game SN covers. His info on each player when doing the Mem Cup amounts to repeating a 2 sentence blurb he's memorized, ad nauseum.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
I think you are selling him short here. His offensive instincts and his playmaking abilities are top notch. He could be quicker, and his defensive game is too inconsisent right now. I would definitely pick him in the second half of the first round.

He looks quicker and better defensively so far in pre-season. I've bumped him way up my list, because as you said his offensive instincts and playmaking abilities are top notch. Some of the passes this kid makes have made me stop and rewind the stream. He has an incredible ability to thread the needle.

He's not ready for the show just yet, so there's the risk that he may never be, but I'm willing to take that risk at 16. Might end up 14 or 15 on my list.

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
Pure skill. I’ve said it before, Bourque is probably top-5 in the draft in terms of what he can do with the puck.

This draft is crazy...he’s got lots of things to work on if he’s going to make an impact at the NHL level, but this isn’t the type of prospect you should be able to get at 30.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Kind of irked me the way the analysts dragged him a bit following the pick, "not too quick", "not the toughest player ", etc.

I didn't know which direction Dallas was gonna go but I was hoping for a forward so I'm happy with Mavrik. :yo:

SympathyForTheDevils

Feb 22, 2010
Quebec City
Kind of irked me the way the analysts dragged him a bit following the pick, "not too quick", "not the toughest player ", etc.

I didn't know which direction Dallas was gonna go but I was hoping for a forward so I'm happy with Mavrik. :yo:
I think it's because of how much Button weighs international tourneys over everything else (Bourque had a fine, but unremarkable Hlinka tournament on the bottom-6). His report read like a completely different player to me; if anything, to me picking Bourque is a swing on pure offensive upside. He's basically the Q's Perfetti (though his offensive game is a notch below Perfetti's).

Reactions: Kipper933

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
Did not expect this pick because he’s small, from the Q, and figured he might be gone. Like it though!

golgoXIII

Apr 2, 2007
ata boy! this Kid seem on fire with 43 pts in 28 games so far... only saw highlights of him is IQ look to the roof and passing skills unreal !

Reactions: Kcb12345

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
How close is he to playing in the NHL?

Believe the Stars scouts had him at being a few years away when they drafted him. Don't see that changing really so it probably is still about 2-3 years before he gets a shot at the NHL, especially with Jim Nill liking his prospects to be "over-ripe". Needs to work on his play away from the puck quite a bit according to the Stars writers.

Reactions: 42
Sep 20, 2013
In The Crease
Believe the Stars scouts had him at being a few years away when they drafted him. Don't see that changing really so it probably is still about 2-3 years before he gets a shot at the NHL, especially with Jim Nill liking his prospects to be "over-ripe". Needs to work on his play away from the puck quite a bit according to the Stars writers.

Although, at the rate the Stars are losing forwards this season, he could be due for a callup by the end of April... :laugh: :help:

WADEugottaBELAKthat

Nikishin turning heads.
Nov 21, 2003
CSKA MoskWTF?

I was curious about Mavrik Borque and suddenly found this video of him on youtube. 5 points in 2 AHL games are you kidding me? Under the radar perhaps or who knows. But thought I´d give it a bump.

NA Hockey

Nov 16, 2015
Great player, who is good at everything. Has flown under the radar a bit at times but still a first round pick and the kind of player teams love to have on their roster. Can play with skill players, can play PP , can play shut down role and on PK.

A lock to play on Canada's World Junior team.

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018
My pick for the most underrated player in this years' draft.

I still think this is the case. His only weakness is his skating which could be a concern given his size, but his playmaking + shot + hands are all elite. He's kind of a J. Robertson in that sense, which is a possible outcome for Bourque if he continues to improve his skating and defense.

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017
Yea his vision and passing in that YouTube video really highlights his skills. Looks for seams and makes passes in areas other players would just ignore.

Baaaaaaaaaaaaah

Sponsor
Aug 16, 2015
One of the more interesting ones from 2020. I wasn't a fan of his pace/compete, but he definitely has some great tools that could make him a decent NHLer and has had a decent D+1.

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018
One of the more interesting ones from 2020. I wasn't a fan of his pace/compete, but he definitely has some great tools that could make him a decent NHLer and has had a decent D+1.

I think the "pace of play" thing is more because he tends to slow the play down, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. His skating isn't ideal considering his size but I think he'll be able to get away with it at the NHL level.

I don't see any compete issues with him, he has a solid motor and has stretches of really good defensive play.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad